Habs at the Deadline

rafikz

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guerin is old and he's on a one 1 year contract which means you'd have to sign him at the end of the year and to be honest he might get saint louis syndrome and come back here like Weight and almost Pronger wanted to.

No way in hell would I give up those 2 1st rounders for an old winger. stupid move.

The Habs are old enough as it is, why get even older

So by the looks of it, Bob is not selling or buying?

We pick up a backup goalie of waivers who is no better than the rookie we have been playing or the starter in the AHL? WTF is going on?

And can you believe that Yanic Perreault fetched a 2nd rounder and Brendan Bell???????

The guy was a FREE AGENT 2 months AGO??? Gotta love the Leafs!

And can you believe that Yanic Perreault fetched a 2nd rounder and Brendan Bell???????

It's OK, leaves are planning the parade right about now.

hehehe Perreault meets K-REX along the boards...

OUCH, now that hit is going to leave a mark. :hockey: :hlogo:

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Nothing cooking with Habs: team spokesman

Posted by Dave Stubbs @ 3:11 PM

Pat Hickey reports from New York that Canadiens team spokesman Dominick Saillant says things are quiet between his phone and the Habs' seventh-floor executive offices, where Bob Gainey has spent his day. While the NHL might be processing paperwork on a deal, Hickey seems to think that the Canadiens' acquisition of goalie Michael Leighton, surely bound for Hamilton as insurance, will be it for the team on trade deadline day.

http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/02/nothi...with_habs_team/

It Reads 4:09 Pm On the clock right now, The NHL Trade deadline is officially over. A majority of action was done in the Western Conference, seeing big names get dealt and acquired from the East. Several teams in the Eastern conference increased their firepower by adding offensive and defensively responsible players. The only activity that Montreal did on Tuesday, February 27/07, was acquire a third string at best goaltender off of waivers (the last thing Montreal needed). Big names such as Ryan Smyth, Gary Roberts, And Yanic Perrault were traded to teams all within a few games reach. Do you agree or disagree with Bob Gainey's decision to keep Montreal at a stalemate at the trade deadline, while teams within a few points strengthened their offensive and defensive cores?

I don't care who other teams add. What i care about is that Bob didn't waste our young talent on a rental. The message is clear: this is a GM who's smart enough (unlike many fans) to understand that this team is more than a rental or two away from the Cup; and this is a GM who really does want to build a contender with young talent.

More worrisome is the failure to deal Souray for young studs. That will be a major mistake, IF Souray fails to re-sign.

I didn't expect Gainey to do anything today. I will be bummed to lose Souray this summer for nothing. I don't agree with some of the TSN knuckleheads that Bob should've unloaded Bonk, Johnson, Souray, etc, etc.

As it is, Montreal sent Rivet to SJ for a 1st round pick and a depth defenseman. That in itself is more than expected. Montreal added Leighton, Gorges, and a 1st rounder. Gave up Rivet. Montreal now 2 1st rounders and 2 3rd round picks in the draft this year.

It Reads 4:09 Pm On the clock right now, The NHL Trade deadline is officially over. A majority of action was done in the Western Conference, seeing big names get dealt and acquired from the East. Several teams in the Eastern conference increased their firepower by adding offensive and defensively responsible players. The only activity that Montreal did on Tuesday, February 27/07, was acquire a third string at best goaltender off of waivers (the last thing Montreal needed). Big names such as Ryan Smyth, Gary Roberts, And Yanic Perrault were traded to teams all within a few games reach. Do you agree or disagree with Bob Gainey's decision to keep Montreal at a stalemate at the trade deadline, while teams within a few points strengthened their offensive and defensive cores?

I absolutely do NOT agree with what Bob has done. Leafs go out and get the best face off man in the league and is capable of potting close to 30 goals, Isles go out and grab RYAN SMYTH for a hefty price...but not nearly as hefty as I thought it should be. The teams we are battling for just made themselves stronger, while we do nothing.

The only good thing I can pull out of this is that this will make the team more confident, Kovalev said earlier during the teams worst struggles that a reason why they are playing so poorly is that their minds are on whether they will be traded or not and they are playing "scared"...So I think the team will play with confidence now that they are pretty much the same team as they were before minus Rivet and they can now FOCUS on the playoffs.

That being said, I still think Gainey was wrong today in not making a move.

IMO, Ryan Smyth would have been a great addition. He is the one guy who isn't afraid to pay the price and cause ruckess in front of the oppositions goalie. I really wish Bob Pulled the trigger on him. At this point and time, It's official that Bob Gainey has too much hope in his prospects. Although, MTL is blooming with too many prospects. I said this in a previous thread, Why not acquire a best seller for two newly published books (Say Ferland and Locke). MTL has too many prospects at this point IMO. I wasn't expecting much movement today, but I think that adding one more big name would have greatly benefited the team to keep pace with the teams around us in the Eastern Conference.

I still can't believe that Gainey didn't get a goalie (a real one, not a waiver guy) to shore up the drive.

I would love to have a Belfour to get us to the playoffs and then if Huet comes back strong, act as the vet backup in the playoffs.

I am sure the price would be cheap (3rd round pick) and it would make us better.

Now Ryan Smyth is a different story. Expensive and only a rental..

I still can't believe that Gainey didn't get a goalie (a real one, not a waiver guy) to shore up the drive.

I would love to have a Belfour to get us to the playoffs and then if Huet comes back strong, act as the vet backup in the playoffs.

I am sure the price would be cheap (3rd round pick) and it would make us better.

Now Ryan Smyth is a different story. Expensive and only a rental..

Rumour has it he signed a 5 year 22 mill deal, thats a long rental.

Gainey makes 2 inconsequential moves, souray is gonna walk or get 5 mill next year. He will either save this team with offseason signings or start cleaning out his desk.

We are set to have the same run next year, huzzah! :rolleyes: