Wow, pretty incendiary Russian interview given by Kovalev

bobby

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure Aebischer would befriend the guy stealing his job?

A French and a Swiss who played together in the same leagues and went to the same goalie schools in Europe... I'd think off the ice they'd hang out together, along with Streit.

Man do you people realize you are only speculating on something that no one in the world has even heard of and is probably all made up?

Keep in mind, the media would be loving this shit if it were true.

They're both good goalies, we wouldn't be in the playoff race otherwise

Ya OK. Aebi's done nothing to help out the playoff race. I'll forgive that comment, as you're new to this forum.

What's funny to me, go to, for example, the RDS website. Most feel that Carbo favours the Russians and is hard on the Quebec players. Doubt this story has any value, as others have said, the Montreal media would be all over this.

If you guys can read french, go to cyberpresse.ca there are plenty of article about the Kovalev's interview. Pretty surprising infos. Mathias Brunet did some surprising digging...

I mean, he called the russian journalist who confirmed she talked to Kovalev and that the article is a word-for-word print of a radio interview given by Kovalev. She (the journalist) was supposed to send the radio interview to Brunet, but then she got a call from Kovalev and suddendly backed on her word and said that there were significant differences between the printed article and the radio interview. After that, neither the journal or the radio station retruned the calls from La Presse... Wow, the captain of team russia seems to have some influence over there. If what Brunet reports is true, Kovalev shut the story from its source...

a) The story was made up and Kovalev has helped them remember he has the money to sue their ass

b ) The story is real and Kovalev has friends in russia who who can shut radios and journals up!

Edited by Punkned

Hi guys,

I know in Québec their is a big thing between french and english, but do you seriously think that an NHL coach would coachs his team based on what language you speak?

This is pure...

For sure a coach prefer a mix of an certain type of players, but he would get fired if anything like this would be true.

I like the option a) on Punkned post :)

What is the Gazette saying on that topic?

Lapresse is saying everything is true.

Le Journal is saying everything is false.

Actually, there are 5-6 articles on the subject in Lapresse... All saying it's true and bashing the habs, bashing Kovalev, ripping everthing on the way...

In Le Journal, the online website only has one article saying how the website wasn't a reliable one and how it looks just like Ribs fake interview from last season (was it fake? we just forgot about it... but we never got to know the truth)

The question is: how could the Russian journalist lady make that kind of stuff up? How could she know about the cliques, the coach's style of play, all the players of the names called up, etc.

There's a lot of details in that interview; lots of details. I'm surprised a journalist from Russia would know all about those little details so clearly.

Looks too detailed to be a fake article. Seems to me someone opened his mouth and underestimated the determination of Habs followers to get their hands on anything Habs-related. This story blew up because of the Habs internet community (who contacted La Presse first... hehehe) ...

The reporting on this is all crazy. RDS maintains that the article has been withdrawn from the website, but it's still up there (follow the link on my post on the previous page).

I suspect members of the Montreal media misquoted (mistranslated) Kovalev's words back to him and asked him if he said it (e.g. that Carbonneau is racist against Russians, which Kovalev never says - from the crazy auto-translation we have, Kovalev says that a lot of people in the media here say that Carbonneau does not like Russian players) and Kovalev, upon hearing their broken-telephone version of what he actually said, assumed the journalist had monkeyfingered the interview and denied saying what he actually never said.

I suspect the Russian transcription of the interview is accurate. I still maintain that there's nothing inappropriate in it, though there is certainly matter for controversy.

I suspect members of the Montreal media misquoted (mistranslated) Kovalev's words back to him and asked him if he said it (e.g. that Carbonneau is racist against Russians, which Kovalev never says - from the crazy auto-translation we have, Kovalev says that a lot of people in the media here say that Carbonneau does not like Russian players) and Kovalev, upon hearing their broken-telephone version of what he actually said, assumed the journalist had monkeyfingered the interview and denied saying what he actually never said.

La Presse got Elena Botchorichvili & Gourami Kakhadzé to do the translation. Botchorichvili was a sports writer for 20 years back in the old USSR. I strongly doubt that they mistranslated the article.

The question is: how could the Russian journalist lady make that kind of stuff up? How could she know about the cliques, the coach's style of play, all the players of the names called up, etc.

I think she has an account on Habsworld and follows the Spider Man NL threads.

The reporting on this is all crazy. RDS maintains that the article has been withdrawn from the website, but it's still up there (follow the link on my post on the previous page).

I suspect the Russian transcription of the interview is accurate. I still maintain that there's nothing inappropriate in it, though there is certainly matter for controversy.

Lapresse hired a professional to translate it, come on! What do you think? that they put it on babelfish? :P

Here is the complete, accurate, french translation

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070305...5128/CPSPORTS01

Quote from the article as translated by the pro hired by La Presse (translated in French):

Tu essayes de faire quelque chose! L'année passée, je parlais avec les joueurs de mon trio: un Finlandais et un Tchèque. Je leur disais que ce qui m'intéressait, ce n'étaient pas les statistiques individuelles mais notre travail de groupe. Pour qu'on soit le meilleur trio et qu'on aide notre équipe à remporter les matchs. Et non que je me préoccupe seulement des buts que je marque et rien d'autre. Je dis souvent ce genre de choses aux gars avec qui je joue. J'essaye d'aider mes partenaires à changer ceci ou cela pour que notre trio soit le meilleur. J'ai toujours dit que, peu importe l'équipe pour laquelle je joue, je veux que mon trio soit le meilleur, coûte que coûte. C'est la même chose ici. Si on regarde les autres clubs, les joueurs travaillent en équipe, s'entraident. Chez nous, ils ne voient pas ça, ou ne veulent pas voir ça. Tu marques un but et c'est tout. T'as terminé ton travail pour le match et t'as même plus besoin de jouer jusqu'à la fin.

"You score a goal and that's all. You've done your job for the game and you don't have to play for the rest of the game."

I wonder who Kovy is alluding to in that last sentence. Seems to allude to Ryder or maybe Souray.

Francois Gagnon's column: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070305...acheid=20070305

An interesting excerpt:

Et un traître, on s’en débarrasse…

Quand Chris Chelios a fait de l’œil à la femme d’un membre de l’état-major du Canadien, il s’est fait sacrer dehors.

Quand Russ Courtnall a fait de l’œil à l’épouse d’un de ses coéquipiers du Canadien, il s’est fait sacrer dehors.

Quand Rod Brind’Amour a fait de l’œil à l’épouse d’un de ses coéquipiers dans le vestiaire des Flyers de Philadelphie, il s’est retrouvé dans la Sibérie du hockey, en Caroline, où il a agonisé pendant des années avant de soulever la coupe Stanley l’an dernier

Quand Mike Ribeiro a fait des propositions malhonnêtes à la fille d’un membre de l’état-major du Canadien, il s’est fait sacrer dehors lui-aussi. Bon! Dans son cas, ce n’était peut-être que la goutte qui faisait déborder la coupe… Mais ça explique pourquoi le Canadien a donné son deuxième centre pour un défenseur qui n’est pas capable de jouer régulièrement avec une équipe démunie en défense…

Funny to ear that Chelios, Courtnall and Ribs were traded for "inapropriate flirting" with staff wives (or daughter in Ribs case)...

Anyway, all that to make the point that Kovalev is a traitor to his team and that you trade traitors.

Carbonneau said today that he thinks the story was made-up and that Kovalev never said that. He talked to Kovalev before the morning practice.

Of course. Carbo will protect Kovalev publicly wither the article is true or not. Its the coach who has to do the damage control or this story will completely distract the players (like they needed it). But the staff probably is adding 1+1+1 behind the scenes and Kovy's days could be counted.

Just posted on Radio-Canada :

À Montréal, un seul journal russe, le Soviet Sport, suit sur une base quotidienne les activités du Tricolore. Affecté à la couverture du Canadien, Gennady Boguslavsky n'accorde aucune crédibilité à cette histoire.

« C'est complètement faux, affirme Boguslavsky à Radio-Canada Sports. Le journal qui a traduit l'entrevue n'est pas sérieux, c'est un quotidien qui cherche la controverse. »

It says that only one russian journal covers the Canadien's (Soviet Sport). A journalist form Sovet Sport told Radio-Canada that Football-Hockey (the russian journal that published Kovalev's interview) isn't a serious publication and seeks controversy.