Doug Jarvis

Quebecois

Hey guys,

Im currently writing an article about the Habs assistant coach for the Brantford Expositor. I will probably be interviewing Mr. Jarvis at some point this week and was wondering if anyone had any questions that you would like me to include in the interview.

Mine would be something to the effect of - "Do you find it a bit ironic that most of the Canadiens management and coaching staff consists of former players who were noted as defense first, grinder types in their playing days, and how has this affected the team style?" ie Bob Gainey, Guy Carbonneau, Jarvis, Kirk Muller, and almost Rod Langway. Also the anomoly of having 4 of the 5 key management personal,(Gainey, Jarvis, Muller, Lever) hailing from Ontario.

I don't know what type of person you are or if it is journalism that you are chossing as a career. If that is what your going after then I would go in with heavy questions about the downfall of the team.

Get answers on the dressing room politics, Carbo's treatment of players, You know the dark bull crap that we have been reading about in these forums. How does the team try and avoid being brainwashed by Montreal Media. Make him uncomfortable but get honest answers and only print the truth. That is an article I would want to read. Get some insight on what is really going on because I refuse to beleive that this team is just plain old crap.

I don't know if your into that, but you asked.

I don't know what type of person you are or if it is journalism that you are chossing as a career. If that is what your going after then I would go in with heavy questions about the downfall of the team.

Get answers on the dressing room politics, Carbo's treatment of players, You know the dark bull crap that we have been reading about in these forums. How does the team try and avoid being brainwashed by Montreal Media. Make him uncomfortable but get honest answers and only print the truth. That is an article I would want to read. Get some insight on what is really going on because I refuse to beleive that this team is just plain old crap.

I don't know if your into that, but you asked.

Im a first year journalism student so this is hopefully the first step towards that.

As far as asking about all the politics in the dressing room and the media, its not exactly the type of article I am going for. Jarvis is from Brantford so that is really the only reason it will find a place in the newspaper so many of the questions in the interview will centre around that. The politics of the team won't interest most of the readers.

I will try and get some stuff out of him like that though, and possibly write a seperate article for HW.

He is really the quiet man behind the bench. What exactly are his duties? Does he take care of the defence or the penalty killing or what. I always wondered about him and Carbo together. They played virtually the same role with the Canadians. They seem redundant. Why dont the Habs have a defenceman coach?

Nyce, I just applied for Journalism in university for next fall. Hows it going for you?

As for any questions, wow. Ask him why he was so keen on wearing his helmet when he played. :P

Nyce, I just applied for Journalism in university for next fall. Hows it going for you?

As for any questions, wow. Ask him why he was so keen on wearing his helmet when he played. :P

Yeah its going great, the article would be a major step because a degree is nice but actual clippings are what is really important once you graduate.

What schools have you applied to? Im at Laurier in Brantford, small campus and an even smaller program. I looked at Concordia and Ottawa as well, didnt bother with Carlton as i didnt have the marks.

Yeah its going great, the article would be a major step because a degree is nice but actual clippings are what is really important once you graduate.

What schools have you applied to? Im at Laurier in Brantford, small campus and an even smaller program. I looked at Concordia and Ottawa as well, didnt bother with Carlton as i didnt have the marks.

Just Concordia.

let us know how the whole thing works itself out...

GO :hlogo: GO!

I would truly like to know honestly what he thinks this team needs in terms of new talent and where he feels we are lacking. Can we look forward to improvements coming from the minors? Does he truly believe that the core of this team can carry to a higher level into po's. I know these are questions asked everyday but maybe just maybe you can give us some insight that the normal montreal media will never get. BEST OF LUCK and I hope it all works out the way you want. Just be better that the traditional media we have. go habs go

Hey Quebecois, please ask Jarvis why the coaching staff insists on that stupid and very useless 1-man forecheck when it's been clear all season that it :

(a) It is just not working.

(B) Our skilled/fast players do not like playing that way and are not buying into it.

Ask him why the Habs didn't continue to use the effective 2-man forecheck that Gainey implemented when he stepped in behind the bench at the end of last season.

that smiley is supposed to be a "b". I didn't mean to do that.....

I don't know if I should go into journalism. hehe. I'd be really good at it, I know that. My calling would be the editorial pages......

Anyway start with something easy to break the ice like "what happened" or a pathetic joke.

Also the anomoly of having 4 of the 5 key management personal,(Gainey, Jarvis, Muller, Lever) hailing from Ontario.

I hope this isn't a patriotic, "why don't we have coaches from Quebec style question". If it isn't, I'll answer it for you: Ontario is huge. HUGE. Most of the population of Canada is centered in the East, and by far, Ontario is the largest population in the East.

And, when you go back 20 years in hockey, 75% of the players were Canadian. Put those two facts together and you see how this anomoly can happen.

Just got off the phone with Jarvis, was a nice experience, very well spoken guy. I wish he gave more interviews on TV.

Ill have the article in the next week or so, going to talk to his brother who lives here in Brantford and hopefully one of his teammates from the Habs dynasty.

Ill try and type up a transcript of the interview, or possibly even get an mp3 file uploaded or something.

• 2 months later...