Guy Carbonneau interviews

kaos

Does anybody else notice anything piculiar about Guy Carbonneau's interviews after games the Habs lose?

Listen to them. I've noticed this several times in the past few months. Here's a few examples

On his teams lack of effort against Boston last night.

"I don't know what we only show up for 20 mintues a night?"

On his teams lack of scoring touch.

"I don't know why our guys can't finish around the net?"

On why his team makes so many mistakes (Buffalo game where they crawled back into it, only to blow it)

"We keep making the mistakes on top of mistakes.....these things happen"

On his teams lack of focus and taking dumb penalites.

" I don't know why we keep taking the same dumb penalties over and over again., its frustrating "

Why is it exactly that Carbonneau has no idea why his team is slumping? Why is it that he doesn't know why his team gets off to poor starts, keeps making the same mistakes over and over and keeps taking dumbass penalties? This guy is the Head Coach of the Montreal Canadiens. Arn't these things he should be aware of?

Is it that he doesn't want to criticize his players in public? Who is holding these players accountable for their actions? Who is holding Carbonneau accoutable?

Watch the post game interviews and listen to Carbonneau's reactions. You'll be suprised to see how many things he's unsure of.

I think what Guy is talking about is execution. All he can do, as a coach, is keep telling them: LOOK. YOU GET PENALTIES WHEN YOU CLUTCH AND GRAB. INSTEAD OF CLUTCHING AND GRABBING, MOVE YOUR @%$^$#@#^%*&% FEET. But if they don't execute, what's there to 'explain?' All he could say is: these guys are idiots. Or incompetent.

I think what Guy is talking about is execution. All he can do, as a coach, is keep telling them: LOOK. YOU GET PENALTIES WHEN YOU CLUTCH AND GRAB. INSTEAD OF CLUTCHING AND GRABBING, MOVE YOUR @%$^$#@#^%*&% FEET. But if they don't execute, what's there to 'explain?' All he could say is: these guys are idiots. Or incompetent.

Agreed, coach cant do much about a lack of execution and boneheadedness from the supposed best players of the world. Guys like Perezhogin and Koivu (bless him) just seem to be a bit dumb the way they always seem to be the one headed to the box with the hooking penalty. What can a coach do about a guy who misses an open net?

Maybe the coach has told the Dmen not to make limp wristed clearing passes and dont hold the puck long in the zone under pressure, but souray still blew that one yesterday?

I dunno, but I admit it, so I'm not prepared to blame carbo at this point.

Edited by Dirty Harry

I dunno, but I admit it, so I'm not prepared to blame carbo at this point.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. He's not responsible for stupid plays on the ice, but he may well be responsible for systematically failing to get good production out of proven performers like Samsonov, and for neglecting young players like Perezhogin who are the future of this team. And is his system any good? Given the results, ya gotta ask.

I'm with Kaos. Carbo *is* the problem here. He has an ineffective and outdated system that is just not compatible with the players we have.

How come the Leafs with the bunch of slugs and AHL'ers they have can compete half-decently? Because Paul Maurice has instilled an aggressive 2-man forecheck. Even with their crappy lineup, the Leafs MAKE things happen. The Habs are passive offensively AND defensively... we don't make things happen.

The players have clearly tuned Carbonneau and his teachings out. He has effectively lost the room. I'd like to see Gainey step back in behind the bench for the rest of the season.

How come the Leafs with the bunch of slugs and AHL'ers they have can compete half-decently? Because Paul Maurice has instilled an aggressive 2-man forecheck. Even with their crappy lineup, the Leafs MAKE things happen. The Habs are passive offensively AND defensively... we don't make things happen.

Another good system is Lindy Ruff's in Buffalo. T hey have 8 regulars out of the lineup and still scored 8 goals against Montreal. What would happen if Montral had 8 regulars out of the lineup? Well probably not much worse than whats happening now, but you get the idea

I don't want to totally blame Carbonneau with this thread, everybody is at fault. But it does start at the top and work its way down. Gainey, Carbonneau and the players all have their share of the blame

Edited by kaos

Well, I wouldn't go that far. He's not responsible for stupid plays on the ice, but he may well be responsible for systematically failing to get good production out of proven performers like Samsonov, and for neglecting young players like Perezhogin who are the future of this team. And is his system any good? Given the results, ya gotta ask.

Guy is doing the right things , Perezhogin needs time thats all , GUY cant do anything about it

Look at Vanek for the Sabres, look at he jump he made in one year, TIME

ok ?

Guy is doing the right things , Perezhogin needs time thats all , GUY cant do anything about it

Look at Vanek for the Sabres, look at he jump he made in one year, TIME

ok ?

I don't know what you guys are seeing in Perezhogin. I see nothing but speed. He takes bad penalities, always lost the puck by himself and got one out of 5 shots on net.

Like you said TheWhale, i hope what he needs is time, time to fix this lacks up.

He could say "We arent moving our feet enough so we take those stupid penalties instead and thats something we have to work away" instead of "I dont know... bla bla blaaaa"

The only change we can make to the team at this point of the season is a coaching changeup and I dont think thats a bad idea since we still are in the run. I want to see the oktober-december habs again. If Carbo can bring those back I take back everything but if he cant I want a change.

I think it's generally a good idea to show a lot of patience with a new coach, but it really seems like Carbonneau hasn't brought a single thing to this team all year except bad atmosphere. The Habs' successes from October to December were built almost exclusively on the PK and the PP and the goaltending - 5 on 5 has been crap all year long (though a little better recently). Now, maybe this was just Carbonneau being humble, but in October he made it clear in the media that Jarvis handled the PP and Muller the PK (and, of course, Rollie always has the goalies). That left Carbonneau with...uh...I guess overseeing those units and everything non-special teams.

If that's the case, his performance as a coach has been a lacklustre one all season long. He hasn't run into a hiccup in January and February - he's just been fundamentally without success in the matters for which he's responsible all season long.

Add onto those failures his conspicuous faults: constant complaining to the refs (though I like his restraint over the past week or so on this count); unwillingness to alter lines until months of unproductivity have passed, and then only for a period or two at a time; noncommittal (Samsonov in October) or haphazard (Rivet in January) roster moves...

I don't like to be overly critical of people in tough jobs - Julien and Vigneault had the benefit of my doubt right up until their firing - but I really think the Habs could not do worse if Carbonneau were not in the building. Even if he hasn't been given a full season to show his stuff, I think the jury is in on this one and the verdict is not good.

I don't know what you guys are seeing in Perezhogin. I see nothing but speed. He takes bad penalities, always lost the puck by himself and got one out of 5 shots on net.

Like you said TheWhale, i hope what he needs is time, time to fix this lacks up.

Maybe he is trying to make sure they don't get caught giving up an odd man break away when they do a line change.

Maybe its a way of covering for bad goaltending

Does anybody else notice anything piculiar about Guy Carbonneau's interviews after games the Habs lose?

Listen to them. I've noticed this several times in the past few months. Here's a few examples

On why his team makes so many mistakes (Buffalo game where they crawled back into it, only to blow it)

" I don't know why we keep taking the same dumb penalties over and over again., its frustrating "

Why is it exactly that Carbonneau has no idea why his team is slumping? Why is it that he doesn't know why his team gets off to poor starts, keeps making the same mistakes over and over and keeps taking dumbass penalties? This guy is the Head Coach of the Montreal Canadiens. Arn't these things he should be aware of?

Is it that he doesn't want to criticize his players in public? Who is holding these players accountable for their actions? Who is holding Carbonneau accoutable?

Watch the post game interviews and listen to Carbonneau's reactions. You'll be suprised to see how many things he's unsure of.

I don't know why this clown is the coach!!!

Maybe the guys should eat the poutine after the games.............

They look slow out of the gate, and by the time they decide to start skating it's usually too late...... :(

Could be just Guy's way of giving nothing. Answer the question and go home. Up untill the trade deadline they have been pretty good at not giving the media anything to ride on. I'm pretty sure Carbo is used to all this after being captain of this team for so many years. He's just playing dumb. What else is he going to say?

I think what Guy is talking about is execution.

Talking about the team's execution? I don't know about the whole team, but there's a couple of guys who should face the firing squad.

Problem's not behind the bench; its on the ice: there is no leader to show the way, to make things happen that dictates the play. It should be Koivu, but he's not doing it. It should be Kovalev, but he's not doing it. Markov is too quiet a guy. Ryder is a trailer, Komisarek's too young, Higgins too. The only guy who looks like he's trying every game is Souray, but he's also taking dumb penalties and committing defensive blunders

So who does Carbo - or any coach - relies on when not one of the guys he has in front of him is playing a sound, urgent and reliable overall game? Right now the only player Carbo can seem to count on for a constant effort and a sense of urgency? Plekanec, Streit, Souray... that's about it. That's the best soldiers Carbo has under his hands right now. Its a wonder why we're not doing even worse.

This bunch is hard to motivate because they never had to get over the hump, to buckle down. Every time they hit a little bump, they slumped and got their way by getting a new coach. They never had to endure and realize they'll have to get out of it by themselves. The players gave up and waited for the coach to get the brunt of it.

Because they knew the raging impatient fans and maniacal medias would call for someone's head soon enough. All they had to do was duck and wait for the coach's head to be cut. The players can always hide behind stats, cliches and they're never accountable to anything, while the coach's lives or dies with the number in the team's PTS column.

It's about time that the players get the blame. I hope Gainey cleans the entire house this summer. Change the core, build around new players.

Problem's not behind the bench; its on the ice: there is no leader to show the way, to make things happen that dictates the play. It should be Koivu, but he's not doing it. It should be Kovalev, but he's not doing it. Markov is too quiet a guy. Ryder is a trailer, Komisarek's too young, Higgins too. The only guy who looks like he's trying every game is Souray, but he's also taking dumb penalties and committing defensive blunders

So who does Carbo - or any coach - relies on when not one of the guys he has in front of him is playing a sound, urgent and reliable overall game? Right now the only player Carbo can seem to count on for a constant effort and a sense of urgency? Plekanec, Streit, Souray... that's about it. That's the best soldiers Carbo has under his hands right now. Its a wonder why we're not doing even worse.

This bunch is hard to motivate because they never had to get over the hump, to buckle down. Every time they hit a little bump, they slumped and got their way by getting a new coach. They never had to endure and realize they'll have to get out of it by themselves. The players gave up and waited for the coach to get the brunt of it.

Because they knew the raging impatient fans and maniacal medias would call for someone's head soon enough. All they had to do was duck and wait for the coach's head to be cut. The players can always hide behind stats, cliches and they're never accountable to anything, while the coach's lives or dies with the number in the team's PTS column.

It's about time that the players get the blame. I hope Gainey cleans the entire house this summer. Change the core, build around new players.

I really like this post and it makes sence. I know Im bashing Carbo alot though. But I dont allways yell for the coach's head. I was not happy when they fired Michel Therrien.

Great points Kozed, i thought i was the only one saying it's time to blame the players. Frankly it's about time, like you said how many coaches can get canned? Well all those coaches are doing just fine thank you.I also think it's clear the head coach isn't going anywhere. It's time for the players to put up or shut up. Most of them obviously watching them play want or need to move on and that's fine with me.

Anyone notices new guy Gorges,...his speed, offensive flair and spontaneity.......have a good look because it wont last too long before Carbo put the leash on him and get him to play the scared and lifeless brand of hockey that is being played here under his retro-mecanic vision of hochey.

This defenceman seems to possess some of the qualitys that wouldn't have faired as well in the old NHL but that should REALLY faire well in the new NHL.....unless he has a coach that set the table in a way that will not accomodate his particular set of skills to shine.......I think the poor fellow has just founded such coach here.

What I am suggesting is this.........had Carbo been magically assigned to be coaching a team like Buffalo upon

their first year in the newNHL last year......Buffalo would have altogether missed qualifying for the playoff.....missed the playoff because Carbo would have failled to see the new potential brought about the rules change and it's direct relation with BUFF's fast but diminutive players.......Landy Ruff saw the meaning of it all from the get go and lost no time preparing his troop with hookless drills and devising line-ups and type of game that would best exploit the profile of his team to their best advantages in this new regulated league.......it takes two to tango.... Landy and the Team got ready.....and tango they did all season long.

Landy must have been doing something right, he did many things right and still does, how can it be otherwise when his team is still playing hight winning percentage hochey despite the fact that they have 8 regular players injured and out of the line-up......wow.

Watching hochey in the old NHL was a bore,....the NHL did it's work and some of the more brilliant coaches are taking full advantage of it......it must be fun for the players to work for those coaches because they find

themselves in a situation where they have the chance to maximise their skills and creativity as individual and as a group......it's exilirating and fulfilling...there lies the drive and discipline required for building up winning machine.

The NHL has moved in the right direction but Carbo lives in the past,.....I think we had tons of potential within our roster this year with plenty of speed and skills on tap.....we even had more of the good stuff waiting in the wing a phone away in Hamilton.......this coach is not newNHL ready and gets dizzy when watching speedy puck carrier Garbowski.......as far as I am conscern Carbo has spoiled our party this year big time.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if he has revised and removed some of his restrictions in order to generate some of the offensive aspect of our game that he has muffled thus far........ it he did or does, it will be to little to late anyhow.

Missing the playoffs makes our team less attractive for prospective free agents.....never mind playing for a coach renowned to stifles the offensive potential of his team.....elite and talented UFAs beware.

Edited by PB

Anyone notices new guy Gorges,...his speed, offensive flair and spontaneity.......have a good look because it wont last too long before Carbo put the leash on him and get him to play the scared and lifeless brand of hockey that is being played here under his retro-mecanic vision of hochey.

This defenceman seems to possess some of the qualitys that wouldn't have faired as well in the old NHL but that should REALLY faire well in the new NHL.....unless he has a coach that set the table in a way that will not accomodate his particular set of skills to shine.......I think the poor fellow has just founded such coach here.

What I am suggesting is this.........had Carbo been magically assigned to be coaching a team like Buffalo upon

their first year in the newNHL last year......Buffalo would have altogether missed qualifying for the playoff.....missed the playoff because Carbo would have failled to see the new potential brought about the rules change and it's direct relation with BUFF's fast but diminutive players.......Landy Ruff saw the meaning of it all from the get go and lost no time preparing his troop with hookless drills and devising line-ups and type of game that would best exploit the profile of his team to their best advantages in this new regulated league.......it takes two to tango.... Landy and the Team got ready.....and tango they did all season long.

Landy must have been doing something right, he did many things right and still does, how can it be otherwise when his team is still playing hight winning percentage hochey despite the fact that they have 8 regular players injured and out of the line-up......wow.

Watching hochey in the old NHL was a bore,....the NHL did it's work and some of the more brilliant coaches are taking full advantage of it......it must be fun for the players to work for those coaches because they find

themselves in a situation where they have the chance to maximise their skills and creativity as individual and as a group......it's exilirating and fulfilling...there lies the drive and discipline required for building up winning machine.

The NHL has moved in the right direction but Carbo lives in the past,.....I think we had tons of potential within our roster this year with plenty of speed and skills on tap.....we even had more of the good stuff waiting in the wing a phone away in Hamilton.......this coach is not newNHL ready and gets dizzy when watching speedy puck carrier Garbowski.......as far as I am conscern Carbo has spoiled our party this year big time.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if he has revised and removed some of his restrictions in order to generate some of the offensive aspect of our game that he has muffled thus far........ it he did or does, it will be to little to late anyhow.

Missing the playoffs makes our team less attractive for prospective free agents.....never mind playing for a coach renowned to stifles the offensive potential of his team.....elite and talented UFAs beware.

I agree completely.

If players were apples and oranges, we have a team full of apples. Carbo believes that it takes really strong oranges to win so he forces our apples to try and be oranges. Our apples struggle because they are apples and not oranges.

Look at our assets......do we have a team built for trapping?

Let our apples be apples and we will start winning.

I agree completely.

If players were apples and oranges, we have a team full of apples. Carbo believes that it takes really strong oranges to win so he forces our apples to try and be oranges. Our apples struggle because they are apples and not oranges.

Look at our assets......do we have a team built for trapping?

Let our apples be apples and we will start winning.

also agreed with both of the above. Nice analogy PM Koivu...

I know what chris and KoZed are saying about the players seeming lazy; and htey are being lazy, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that they CAN'T play Carbo's system because they're not those kinds of players, so now they're just discouraged. I really do wish he'd adjust...