Don't worry about KOVALEV

Alexsound

Hi everyone!

I read some articles in the newpapers - internet about the fact that Kovalev did ( Nothing) no points since is first 2 complete games.

Some people are already negatives about Kovalev performances.

Wait a minute!!!! Okay he didn't get an hat trick yet, but I think we should look deeper than the scoresheet.

I agree, the first game against Florida, he was looking a litte bit slow, but has made some great passes, mainly to Ryder.

Against the Leafs, he was looking faster and got several chances to score. Look how quick is his wrist shot?!?! The way that he control the puck when entering the the offence zone is amazing. Most of Canadiens players Dump the puck in the Offence zone. but with Kovalev, it's different. The defense player are a little scary of Kovalev cause they know that If they rush him too quickly, he can do a wonderfull pass or create a good chance to get a breakaway. Also, he's doing a good job behind the net in the Offence zone. He's able to create space and pass the puck, instead of gettting checked and lose the puck.

When will he score?? I don't know , maybe against the Avs or the Devils, but one thing sure, he's a GREAT addition to the team and Gainey has made a great move. Look at Zednik, 3 week ago, we were ready to trade him against O'neil.... It's only a question of Momemtum, of time.

I don't think that Kovalev will be the best scorer for Montreal in the playoff, but one thing sure, he can make a difference.

:hlogo:

Alexsound, you are right. I'm originally from the NY metro area and have followed Kovalev's career from the start. I truly believe that his bad season with the Rangers this year was because of the team's environment. A player of his caliber doesn't go from the numbers he put up consistently in Pittsburgh to a 13 goal season without something being wrong. The Rangers also really didn't know how to use him in their "system." He also just looked very depressed this season, not his usual happy self.

Kovalev just needs to get a chance to regain his confidence. From all of the press reports, he seems to be very happy in Montreal. He has also been smiling! It seems like this is a great team environment for him, and I'm sure his production will be great soon.

Also, could anyone please tell me what a habs is? I've never followed the Canadiens until recently. Thanks!

These "media guys" are so ridicilous, but on the other hand what else should they write about?? :D

In my mind they don't know anything about hockey if they write something like that after only 2 games, it's only crap.

Kovalev has to get used to this new system (in NY he hadn't a system at all :P) and of course also to his new linemates. He had some very good moments vs. the Leafs and as you mentioned @Alexsound, he has an awesome wrist shot. Kovalev is a big addition to the team in my eyes, he only needs some time to climate ... :/)

Legend has it that the "H" on the Canadiens logo stands for "Habs" instead of "Hockey" as in Club de Hockey Canadien. In 1924, Madison Square Garden owner Tex Rickard was falsely told by someone that the "H" stood for "habitant", a French word that in those days was used to denote the farmers of Quebec.

Rickard was told that the French players on the team came from the farms and that they were therefore "habitants" or "Habs". At the time, the Canadiens were considered Montreal's "French" team, as opposed to the primairly "English" Montreal Maroons.

source habs.com

So, now you know MissNY, welcome to the board!

[Edited on 2004/3/15 by jeppa]

Legend has it that the "H" on the Canadiens logo stands for "Habs" instead of "Hockey" as in Club de Hockey Canadien. In 1924, Madison Square Garden owner Tex Rickard was falsely told by someone that the "H" stood for "habitant", a French word that in those days was used to denote the farmers of Quebec.

Rickard was told that the French players on the team came from the farms and that they were therefore "habitants" or "Habs". At the time, the Canadiens were considered Montreal's "French" team, as opposed to the primairly "English" Montreal Maroons.

Upps, too late ... :D

[Edited on 15-3-04 by habsfannr1]

missny: hab is short for habitant which technically means inhabitant or "local" in french. Here it more refers to french canadian pioneers, the descendants of whom originally formed the bulk of the team and still represent the greater portion of the team's fanbase.

I guess other people got to that one first...

[Edited on 3/15/2004 by simonus]