Fighting in Hockey

If they remove fighting then they shouldn't even call it hockey!! That is hockey's greatest tradition! It creates rivalries and makes fan jump out of their seats. They are out of their minds to even question removing fighting from the game!!! I @^%$*^) HATE YOU COLIN CAMPBELL AND EVERYONE ELSE WILL TAKE FIGHTING OUT!! :angry:

Fighting has a place, but not in its current state. There is just too much power in the fists of some of these players. I like what Fedoruk has to say (with 2 steel plates in his cheeks, he should know) fighters should wear gloves. Basically, any player with bare fists on the ice will be penalized, if you want to fight, simply wear martial arts gloves under the hockey gloves. That keeps the fighting in the game, but substantially reduced the risk of serious injury.

Fedoruk: Let fighters wear gloves

Fighting has a place, but not in its current state. There is just too much power in the fists of some of these players. I like what Fedoruk has to say (with 2 steel plates in his cheeks, he should know) fighters should wear gloves. Basically, any player with bare fists on the ice will be penalized, if you want to fight, simply wear martial arts gloves under the hockey gloves. That keeps the fighting in the game, but substantially reduced the risk of serious injury.

Fedoruk: Let fighters wear gloves

That would be fine. Maybe have little holders in your pants for them or just wear em under your gloves. :clap:

Ridiculous idea to have certain players wear gloves. The best fighting is the impromptu fighting. When a guy goes after someone for knocking around your best player. When two stars gets sick of each other and go at it like Iginla and Lecavalier in the 04 finals. Fighting in its current form is pretty lame, with maybe one guy per team doing all the fighting. Goons have been around for a long time, but other guys used to drop the gloves.

The only things that should be done with fighting is to drop the instigator.

Fedoruk just needs to retire. He is the glass jaw that has been KO'ed twice this year. I hope he NEVER plays another NHL game that way guys who know how to fight can keep doing so.

If Colin is so gung ho on eliminating fighting, then he better couple that with an equally harsh crackdown on high sticking and head shots with intent. Because you can guarantee that certain players, and we all know who they are, are going to take advantage of the situation, without the fear of someone kepping them in check. You'll have a hell of a lot more shots like Chris Simon's happening on a regular basis.

That would be fine. Maybe have little holders in your pants for them or just wear em under your gloves. :clap:

hmmmm.......... do i smell sarcasm????

i think so...............

GO :hlogo: GO!

another case of catering to the americans when they don't care or even watch hockey and never will.

Do you realize how silly you sound? Half the Americans who go to games in the newer cities go to see the fighting. Jody Shelley is the 2nd most popular player in Columbus, for goodness sakes.

I think I hinted at this, but in its current form, fighting in hockey is stupid. Outside of a team's designated fighter, you might see 5-6 fights all season. With the way things are, they might as well just have the Shelleys, Boogards, Fedoruks, etc. come out at intermission and box each other. You don't see the star players fight hardly at all. In the old days, fighting was part of the way a player proved himself. Scorers used to fight for themselves when the enforcer wasn't on the ice, they didn't wait around until their enforcer fought with the opponents enforcer. That's why Iginla is one of my favorite players. Not only is he a great player, but he drops the gloves now and then, telling people not to eff with him.

don't really care either way -- but with the way the referee circles around, and the arena turns the spotlight on, NHL fighting has become so formalized its a freaking parody of itself. one thing -- when a helmet comes off the players should stop fighting.

one thing -- when a helmet comes off the players should stop fighting.

I think TOTALLY the opposite. I think players should take off the helmets to fight. When a guy has his helmet on, you're much more likely to punch the helmet than you are the person. Guys mess up their hands punching helmets. I've seen guys miss games because of punching helmets, while I can't recall seeing anyone injured as a result of not having their helmet on during a fight.

If they iliminate fighting the sport will lose all credibility. All the "hard core" fans would leave. 97% of the players want fighting in the game, so why do the media and others (tree huggers, bleeding hearts) care. It's not there place to say what goes on in hockey. If you do not like fighting don't watch. You are in the minority, only iliminating fighting will hurt the ticket sales, not keeping fighting.

Unfortunately the Habs don't have any fighters, which is why they are soft, they really need a real goon badly.

Another stat, teams that fight alot make the playoffs, don't beleive me, look it up.

Trying to take fighting out of hockey will be like trying to turn water into wine.

Its not possible and if it does happen it will be a miracle and the next time we see miracles will be when the leafs win the cup.

That folks will never happen!

I think TOTALLY the opposite. I think players should take off the helmets to fight. When a guy has his helmet on, you're much more likely to punch the helmet than you are the person. Guys mess up their hands punching helmets. I've seen guys miss games because of punching helmets, while I can't recall seeing anyone injured as a result of not having their helmet on during a fight.

So, two big guys, take of the helmets and start bareknuckle boxing while on skates, on ice. I've seen an awful lot of KO punches with 10oz gloves. Land a solid straight punch, bare fisted, and the guy goes down, picking up a possibly fatal brain hemorrhage from smacking his skull on the ice. Then what do you say, "Gosh, that never happened before, how could we ever see it coming"? :P

....anyway, if only goons fight, and rarely do the elite players mix it up anymore, and you're into the pugilism thing, why not go to a proper boxing match? or kickboxing, which I prefer hehehe. I grew up watching hockey fights, my dad's favorite player was John Ferguson, but the game has changed and continues to change, and in my opinion there's really no place for fighting in hockey's future.