The Great Merged Toronto Thread

rafikz

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea yvon pednophile is so goddam annoying, a real 20/20 hindsight genius there scrutinizing every play in slo-mo reply and dissing players.

Perfect example was a few games ago when Ryder was coming in from right side and shot at close range and hit the insidepost/crossbar in the corner. Then pednault is going over the replay and notices Higgins open on the far post and starts criticizing Ryder for shooting because all he had to do was pass it between the D-man's legs and it would've been a super easy goal for Higgins.

What a jerk.

yea yvon pednophile is so goddam annoying, a real 20/20 hindsight genius there scrutinizing every play in slo-mo reply and dissing players.

Perfect example was a few games ago when Ryder was coming in from right side and shot at close range and hit the insidepost/crossbar in the corner. Then pednault is going over the replay and notices Higgins open on the far post and starts criticizing Ryder for shooting because all he had to do was pass it between the D-man's legs and it would've been a super easy goal for Higgins.

What a jerk.

Exactly...

He forgets that this is the fastest game on ice! Pretty easy to pick apart every play in slo-mo!

Well if they needed to do that Carbonneau could just simply start Abeischer!

I believe if we clinch, we should dress Huet @ Toronto just to see how ready he is. Facing the Devils will be horrible but it's the same thing that happened last year when we were matched up with Carolina and though we lost 4 straight, we proved that we could easily have won the series had a couple of things gone our way.

Yeah and Carbonneau would not better then to "throw" the games because it would not show confidence in the team.

But fanpuck is right the Habs can not look past tonight.

Yeah and Carbonneau would not better then to "throw" the games because it would not show confidence in the team.

But fanpuck is right the Habs can not look past tonight.

Right. Besides, throwing a game to face a better opponent is like what Sweden (MAY have done - don't want to start a debate) did in order to face Switzerland in the Olympics. It's no better than tanking during the season to gain a top 5 pick. It's shameful. Just like how we're embarassed to have Ribeiro rolling around on the ice in mock pain, we should be ashamed of dropping a game.

If we can win, we will.

I love Pierre Houde. He's terrific. But Pedneault...everything is "absolument" or "impossible" after the fact. That Ryder call was a good example - how can you blame a guy for not passing when he hits the post? I know - you can if you're Pedneault and it happened a minute ago.

I was listening to the CKAC feed last Saturday and their call is absolutely killer. As much as I like Houde, I think I'll take RDS on mute with the CKAC call. I'm 100% anglo but there's no way I can stand listening to Cole and Neale, even if the Habs are winning. If they're losing, those two dudes would probably make me kill someone.

Actually, I think I'll have to tape the game anyway - Saturday night is the Easter Vigil for me, and I think the best way I can help the Habs is by being in Church praying for the resurrection...of their playoff hopes.

Okay well I am not sure I can be accused of looking ahead. I am worried about what happens tongiht and the resulting consequences.

I definitely don't think any team should intentionally lose. That doesn't mean I (as a fan) can't hope for a certain outcome. I just think Niinimaa has a promising future as a goalie and it would be remiss not to find out. :rolleyes:

As far as thinking ahead, here is another question: If we end up playing in Toronto for all the marbles Saturday, should we give them a 4-1 lead to start the 3rd in order to ensure a win? ;)

Edited by Peter Puck

Okay, this has been worrying me for 10 days now and it looks lke it may come to pass.

So suppose we beat NYR tonight in regulation while the Leafs lose. They we clinch our spot and we are all happy. But are we really? Because then we pass the Rangers and move into 7th. If TB also wins then TB clinches 6th.

Now we seem to all agree that we don't want to play NJ and so finishing 7th is not good (although better than 9th). Also of course we hope to see the Leafs finish 9th again. Thus on Saturday we will be hoping the Rangers pass us. But, and here's the rub, NYR can only pass us if we lose Saturday. Also the Leafs may need a win Saturday to get up to 9th. Thus if we clinch tonight, we may be better off losing Saturday.

Thus we will be in the horrible position of possibly rooting for the Leafs over the Habs.

[Note to mods: please don't ban me].

I don't think I can bring myself to root for the Habs to lose to the Leafs. So clinching tonight may lead to

our worst nightmare. :?- :?- :?-

Maybe if we do clinch tonight we will have to play Aebischer and Samsonov on Saturday. Or maybe we will put Niinimaa in goal and put Aebischer at centre to take all the key faceoffs.

that's what i've been 'preaching' all along... best to finish 6th or 8th... 6th would be best (atlanta?) 8th second best (buffalo) and 7th would be just frightening...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

:P What a question :blink:

I'm gonna watch it on CBC of course

rds by a long shot... i love the french atmosphere even though i have to wade through the cruddy colour commentary by the voice of god (yvon pedneault)

They have won their last 2 OT games ; in those 2 OT wins (vs Pens and Flyers) they had the lead in regulation, but Pens tied it in the closing seconfs, and Philly tied the game with 3 minutes to go (or so) ; still, they remained motivated and won in OT.

Im afraid they have developed some confidence regarding OT , similar to 1993 Canadiens looking forward to play OT.

That can be scary if Habs and Leafs both have the same points toal before saturday's battle :blink:

What do u think?

all i can say that the only thing that the leafs have over us is potentially more hustle...

we have better goaltenders... our offence is just as good if not better than theirs just as is our defence...

potentially the other leafs advantage is that paul maurice has more 'experience tools' in his tool box than carbonneau but that's pretty well it...

on balance, i'd give our team the advantage even on leafs ice...

their crowd can be silenced and brought to booing which will take them out of the total factor

Huet, he started the third as a warm up for the game. That's my opinion anyway.

It's the biggest regular season game Montreal has played in... well as long as I can remember. Huet has more experience to win in those situations.

Tough call, glad I don't have to make it. Honestly I think both goalies would be an equally good choice, I guess it's carbo's call weather to go with the hot hand who has shown some butterflies but amazing skill, or the man who's coming back from a rough injury.

I'd give the nod to Huet because like Maca said, he can handle the pressure better, but Carbo wouldn't be going wrong with Halak.

I have absolutley no idea. I am sure Carbonneau will be racking his brain for a while, and will have a massive talk with both goalies as well as watching them in practice tomorrow.

i voted for huet... not that i'm confident with that scenario...

halak carried them very well for the last several games and really, he's not a big factor in tonight's loss

Wow, if Huet starts and is "rusty". Or, if Halak starts and cracks under the pressure, while our #1 is on the bench, Carbo's going to get bombarded.

I reiterate my argument. In a one-game showdown with massive pressure on home ice, you have to favour the team WITH CHARACTER.

Which ain't us.

generally, i would agree with you but we can't forget that we have koivu, souray, bouillon, komisarek, bégin, lapierre, plekanec, higgins... all character players

we have a big wildcard - kovalev who certainly can pull it out of the bag...

other young kids can come to the fore... latendresse, kostitsyn, etc...

our potentially weak area is ryder and maybe niinimaa (who's been playing quite well recently)

certain solid guys are markov & streit, bonk & johnson...

we're not that badly off...

There's one universal law in hockey.

"storybook endings" are predictable and you just "know" they're going to happen.

Remember Sidney's first game in Montreal? It went to a shoot-out, he scored the game winner. Very "perfect" (for Penguins at least) ending, very "storybook". There have been many similar storybook games (such as Kovalev's return in 2006 when he scored two goals and the shoot-out winner, nose bloodied and all) and i think everyone can safely see this one coming.

Only thing is.. who's game will it be? Will it be a Habs storybook game or the Leafs? I'd say 50/50