Lineups of possible 1st round opponent

puck7x

I'm bored... So I'll take a look at the lineups of the teams the habs will likely face in the 1st round. All these lineups are posted as 100% healthy.... (which made it really hard to put Philly's together)

<hr>

<b>BOSTON BRUINS</b>

Knuble - Thornton - Murray

Samsonov - Bergeron - Nylander

Axelsson - Rolston - Lapointe

Zamuner - Green - Hilbert

Boynton - Gill

O'Donnell - Gonchar

Slegr - McGillis

-- Delmore/Donato/Doull

Raycroft

Potvin

<hr>

<b> TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING </b>

Fedotenko - Lecavalier - St Louis

Stillman - Richards - Modin

Afanasenkov - Andreychuk - Taylor

Dingman - Cibak - Roy

Kubina - Sydor

Lukowich - Boyle

Cullimore - Sarich

-- Clymer/Neckar/Pratt

Khabibulin

Grahame

<hr>

<b> PHILADELPHIA FLYERS </b>

LeClair - Roenick - Recchi

Gagne - Zhamnov - Amonte

Somik - Primeau - Kapanen

Brashear - Handzus - Radivojevic

Johnsson - Desjardins

Malakhov - Ragnarsson

Pitkanen - D.Markov

-- Fedoruk/Sharp/Timander

Esche

Burke

<hr>

<b> OTTAWA SENATORS </b>

Havlat - Bonk - Hossa

Schaefer - Smolinski - Bondra

Fisher - Spezza - Alfredsson

Van Allen - White - Neil

Phillips - Chara

Redden - De Vries

Leschyshyn - Simpson

-- Pothier/Vermette/Ray

Lalime

Prusek

<hr>

<b> TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS </b>

Roberts - Sundin - Mogilny

Francis - Reichel - Nolan

Antropov - Nieuwendyk - Ponikarovsky

Fitzgerald - Tucker - Domi

Leetch - Klee

McCabe - Berg

Kaberle - Johansson

-- Marchment/Belak/Berehowsky/Kilger/Perrott/Pilar/Renberg/Stajan/Wilm (a crapload of healthy scratches!)

Belfour

Kidd

<hr>

[Edited on 2004-3-21 by puck7x]

So having looked at the lineups does it change any of your preferences for our opponents?

For me... Its a scary reality when you look at the Flyers team, they are deep! They have 4 scary (big too!) forward lines, good D, and a good goaltending (not great, but good). I still want to play Boston, they do not scare me one bit...

I'll rank the offense and defense, by GA/GF though, not in-depth like Brian is doing in his articles...

<b>OFFENSE</b> (by goals for)

1)Sens (241)

2)Tampa (223) *less-GP

3)Leafs (223)

4)Flyers (216)

<i> --- Habs (193)</i>

5)Bruins (191)

<b>DEFENSE</b> (by goals against)

1)Sens (161)

2)Boston (170)

3)Philly (171)

<i> --- Habs (173)</i>

4)Tampa (175)

5)Leafs (193)

[Edited on 2004-3-21 by puck7x]

I really don't have much of a preferance. The leafs are probably my least favorite opponent.

Everyone else has so so goaltending. Raycroft can be insane but not every game. Eche, Lalime, Habibulin can stand on their heads from time to time but generally they are average.

Brodeur is incredible but he can't save them all. We have shown we have the depth to beat the Devils.

1st I'd like to say thanks to puck for taking the time to get all of those lines on here, its really helpful.

Ya, least favorite the leafs. not first round at least. I'd prefer to face boston probably the most out of those teams.

Actually, I think people are overrating Tampa too much of late. Sure, they've done well, but they play in such an easy division that it has to help their record and scoring numbers. Despite the fact they may finish 1st in the conference I think they're the weakest of the division winners.

I'd prefer to play(in order):

Tampa

Boston/Toronto

Philly

I think we match up best against Tampa but we won't likely end up playing them.

Boston has 2 great scoring lines but other then Rolston their 3rd and 4th lines are weak IMO. Their D is much improved since we played them in the playoffs last...Raycroft is their key though. I think we can beat them but it'd be a tight series.

Toronto has some great talent and they'd be a tough 1st round opponent, but in the later rounds I can see them slowing. They can be sucked into playing undisciplined hockey and that's the key to beating them IMO. Get them to take dumb penalties and start whining and they'll lose. I think our 1st 2 lines scoring isn't too far off theirs and I like our 3rd and 4th lines against theirs. Overall they're more talented then us probably...but we're younger, more disciplined and can wear them down.

Philly is the team that would scare me most. They are so deep it's not even funny. Burke and Esche aren't great but they certainly aren't bad. They're 4th line is the equivalent of some teams 2nd lines...ugh. They've got 3 very good D pairings too. If they don't win it all this year I'll be shocked...well maybe not, since it is Philly..hehe

I really want the honor of "upsetting" :lol: the Leafs in the 1st round. What could be better? It would silence a bunch of idiots on this coast. Have to say though that being out and around in Halifax now-a-days you sure notice the Habs supporters. Makes me warm inside.

:ghg:

Actually, I think people are overrating Tampa too much of late. Sure, they've done well, but they play in such an easy division that it has to help their record and scoring numbers. Despite the fact they may finish 1st in the conference I think they're the weakest of the division winners.

Zowpeb, you do have a point. Tampa also doesnt have playoff experience.

either them or boston is who i'd like to face preferably considering the others (ottawa, toronto, philly)

johnnyhasbeen, that would be the best time of my life :lol: I hate the leafs!!

But then again, its 50/50, because if they win the series, we will never hear the end of it, particularily for the habs fans living in or around toronto (like me). It would be hell.

[Edited on 1990/04/07 by habsfan88]

Originally posted by habsfan88

because if they win the series, we will never hear the end of it. It would be hell.

[Edited on 1990/04/07 by habsfan88]

that would be so bad :( I would like die, i seriously wouldn't go to school...

i'd like to face boston first actually, then ottawa/tampa

Lose to Toronto ??? Never happen so don't worry.:/)

By the way, that's 2 str8 for NYI over TB. Bet they aren't feeling to good in Tampa about the prospect of facing the Isles in the 1st round.

I still don't like facing TB in the first round. Granted, that is in part because the Lightning are my second favorite Eastern team, albeit a very distant second to the Habs. I would like to see both teams make it out of the first round. But if we play them, they become as hated as the Leafs, haha.

I have this really bad feeling that we'll go strong until a few games before the playoffs, and then stumble into the first round, and exit meekly.

Please don't let this happen, Habs. Please...