Season ends ... what now?

TheAussiePosse

Nobody in the NHL cares. The thing that is most concerning our dear leader Bettman is that all three NY teams make the playoffs. Islanders, Rangers and Devils are what matter.....US TV numbers. The sheep (and I mean this disprespectfully) will always flock to the Bell Centre to watch this gutless team

a better word would be the faithfull and i mean this fully respectfully...

go senators! (get that cup that has so much eluded you - most importantly, knock off the devils!!!)

and, go nashville... knock off the sharks for a better draft position for us

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd root for Pittsburgh over the Senators.

Kaos is right by the way, there's really not much incentive for the team to do much because they know the fans will always be back. They iced some of the worst teams in NHL history in the late '90's and we were still there.

Come this October, I bet everyone here on these forums will be raving about the same players who we call gutless and want gone...

I'd like to see a certain few go, but Gainey's a man who does things oh so slowly, which is kinda what cost us what Samsonov. I'd rather have Jason Arnott earning 4.5M a year on my team than Samsonov earning 3.5, or Kovalev earning 4.5 for that matter.

SMON, great points about the fans, i can say i was one of a few who were bitching about the lack of talent and how bad they are. I am hoping for a complete house cleaning of the core and UFA's.

The youth is here to stay.

Good question :P

It's prospect watch time. That's why BOb is my avatar. Emelin and Valentenko might make the Russsian WC squad since they've been named to the prelim rosters. Then it's time to watch another team win the mug, the draft - UFA signings....etc

That's what is now? :(

SMON, great points about the fans, i can say i was one of a few who were bitching about the lack of talent and how bad they are. I am hoping for a complete house cleaning of the core and UFA's.

The youth is here to stay.

Lack of talent? We definitely have our problems but talent level of this team is not one of them. We're one of the most talented teams in the league.

What a way to go. Does anybody by change know if there's any chance of there being another team practice or so, where I could go and get the last 2-3 signatures I need on my holy Habs jersey? Or at least where I can find that out

You guys can say what you want, but I'll miss Souray if/when he's gone. He's brought a lot to the team during his time here, and it'd be foolish to think otherwise. I won't miss his defensive lapses sure, but it's a common affliction amongst Habs defenders.

A veteran cleanup... this group of vets (not the marginal ones, the core ones, Rivet being the first to be cast away) couldn't lead us to the playoffs, so New leaders will be pointed to (Higgins, Komi, etc) and will be the new young vets to lead that team.

Kovalev will go

Koivu could go

Souray might not go, the team might want to retain him. he always seem to be able to shut the mouth of e.g. Kovalev.

What about Huet? he'll be the backup to whomever we decide to rely on... it'll be a share duty for the season.

You guys can say what you want, but I'll miss Souray if/when he's gone. He's brought a lot to the team during his time here, and it'd be foolish to think otherwise. I won't miss his defensive lapses sure, but it's a common affliction amongst Habs defenders.

I don't mind Souray except for his gaffs. I only have a problem with him getting Brian the Can Opener money and handcuffing the Habs for a few years financially. The Koivu, Kovalev, Samsonov contracts have really eaten away large cap space and Sheldon would only make matters worse.

The business part of the CBA hurts when you have many guys to sign. Plus Habs are not contenders just yet, so signing guys to big contracts without back end support is a Leaf way of doing things. Montreals time will be at hand soon, just have to take the punishment like this years roller coaster ride and wait for better days.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

BTH, what do you mean one of the most talented teams in the league? Who on this team was in the top 25 in any category besides Souray and Goals? Remember he is also the team worst minus 28 which cancels his goals right out?

Someone else mentioned it, when have they ever been good, if fighting for the 8 spot is all you want for a "Top Talent" team, well then you got it.

I said all year i would stick by what i said and predicted, they were pretenders finishing out of the playoffs. Guess what, i know what i see on the ice and it isn't good.

I do like all the under 25 year old players, for that reason in a coupl of years when the rest of the garbage is out, they will be back.

Let me add that if the Habs had the same work ethic as the Islanders and didn't make excuses like the islanders, they would be in the playoffs like the islanders.

BTH, what do you mean one of the most talented teams in the league? Who on this team was in the top 25 in any category besides Souray and Goals? Remember he is also the team worst minus 28 which cancels his goals right out?

Komisarek: 4th in hits, 14th in takeaways for D, 17th in weight, 20th in minor penalties, 10th in penalty minutes, tied for 1st in goals SH for D, 2nd in SH points for D.

Markov: 9th in takeaways, 1st in takeaways for D, 17th in points for D, 9th in assists for D,

Plenaec: 15th in takeaways,

Souray: 22nd in takeaways, 2nd in takeaways for D, tied for 5th in OT goals, 5th in PP points, 12th in minor penalties, 3rd in points for D, 1st in GWG for D, 2nd in shots for D, tied for 3rd SH goals for D, tied for fourth SH points for D, 2nd in shooting % for D.

Koivu: 10th in faceoffs won, 9th in PP points

Begin: 12th in hits by a forward

Latendressse: 13th in hits by a forward, 11th in points by a rookie, 1st in hits by a rookie, 17th in takeaways by a rookie

Ryder: 25th in hits by a forward, 5th in PP goals

Bonk: 4th in block shots by a forward

Higgins: tied for 10th in SH goals

Bouillon: 2nd in shortness

Samsonov: 7th in shortness

Downey: 15th in misconduct penalties

Lapierre: 4th in hits by a rookie, 6th in faceoffs won and taken by a rookie.

Halak: 2nd in wins by a rookie, 2nd in shutouts by a rookie, tied for first in shorthanded save % (did not let in any PP goals)

Huet: 11th in save %

Streit: 10th in shooting % for D

Just for fun.

Gee, with all that talent and top notch stats i am stunned they didn't make the playoffs.

Great Stats, i didn't even know half of them were stats.

The 3 most important stats,

1. 90 points and NO playoffs.

2. 2 top 60 scorers, with worst plus minus out of any pair in the top 60.

3. Your top 3 scorers are minus 70.

That sums it up for me.

Gee, with all that talent and top notch stats i am stunned they didn't make the playoffs.

Great Stats, i didn't even know half of them were stats.

The 3 most important stats,

1. 90 points and NO playoffs.

2. 2 top 60 scorers, with worst plus minus out of any pair in the top 60.

3. Your top 3 scorers are minus 70.

That sums it up for me.

Yup. You summed it up as I see it. NO PLAYOFFS.

At least the goalie of the future is signed:

MONTREAL – Canadiens GM Bob Gainey announced Tuesday the signing of goaltender Carey Price to a three-year contract (2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10). As per club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

LINK

We sure have a lot of hits registered for a team of cream puffs who aren't physical.

Makes we wonder who takes these stats? It could be like shots on goal, where the accuracy is questionable and dependent on the arena staff.

Part of the problem with the hits stats is that they don't seem to differentiate between a minor hit in the offensive zone and the true bone crushing hits that stop an offensive rush in its tracks.

Some good news is that the salary cap is increasing by approximately 10% next season. This gives Montreal a bit more leeway in terms of free agent signings, and also depreciates the long term deals of Koivu, Kovalev, Bouillon, and Dandenault to some extent. It makes it more realistic that they might be able to actually trade one or more of them if they want. Samsonov's contract becomes a bit less of a burden for next season as well, and may make him tradeable.

Someone else mentioned it, when have they ever been good, if fighting for the 8 spot is all you want for a "Top Talent" team, well then you got it.

You do not understand? Talent doesn't make you a good team, it makes you a talented team. It means you have players who can skate with the puck and "make the puck sing." In terms of skill alone, we are one of the most talented teams in the league. Are we one of the best? No. But I never said that, did I?

By the way, the +/- is a misleading stat, you shouldn't rely on it so heavily. Especially when you're PP is tops in the league, your +/- is bound to be low in comparison to your point totals (which for us are already pretty low).

We sure have a lot of hits registered for a team of cream puffs who aren't physical.

Makes we wonder who takes these stats? It could be like shots on goal, where the accuracy is questionable and dependent on the arena staff.

Part of the problem with the hits stats is that they don't seem to differentiate between a minor hit in the offensive zone and the true bone crushing hits that stop an offensive rush in its tracks.

How much do the guys who count the takeaways, hits etc get paid? :P