Season ends ... what now?

TheAussiePosse

By the way, the +/- is a misleading stat, you shouldn't rely on it so heavily. Especially when you're PP is tops in the league, your +/- is bound to be low in comparison to your point totals (which for us are already pretty low).

How much do the guys who count the takeaways, hits etc get paid? :P

Actually its a very good and troubling stat...especially for Montreal.

It shows just how bad they were 5 on 5. Pathetic might be the right word. It shows that Montreal needs to be so much better 5 on 5. Special Teams wise, they were a playoff team. Even strength, they are the worst team in the league. And you cannot rely on your special teams for 82 games as Montreal found out.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually its a very good and troubling stat...especially for Montreal.

It shows just how bad they were 5 on 5. Pathetic might be the right word. It shows that Montreal needs to be so much better 5 on 5. Special Teams wise, they were a playoff team. Even strength, they are the worst team in the league. And you cannot rely on your special teams for 82 games as Montreal found out.

It is accurate when you're analyzing a team. But when you're looking at one specific player it isn't accurate. A good defensive/ two-way player on a crap team will have a lower +/- than Ribeiro (+3) on a good defensive team in Dallas. It also depends on who your linemates are and stuff like that. definitely not worth basing an entire argument on a guy's +/-.

Looking ahead, position by position -

Goal - Looks very likely that the Habs would open next season with Cristobal Huet and Jaroslav Halak in the nets. David Aebisher will not be resigned. Yann Danis will probably be resigned at a reduced salary since I don't think he has any better options. Carey Price is on board and will get every chance to show his stuff in Hamilton. I'm not a Huet fan, I've never thought he was a number one goaltender. I could see Halak gradually edging him out over the season.

Defense - Priority for Bob Gainey is to get his top pairing of Andrei Markov and Mike Komisarek locked up for a few years. They are capable of playing 25 minutes a game in all situations. I say Markov gets a 3 year deal at around 15 million, Komisarek 3 years at about half that much. Mathieu Dandenault and Francis Bouillon are signed for the next two seasons. Ideally they will be pushed back to third pairing minutes by a couple of younger players. Sheldon Souray is gone, I think. The most likely candidate to replace him in my view is free agent Martin Skoula. Skoula is still just 27 and a big left side defender with some offensive skill. Mark Streit is signed for next season, and Josh Gorges will get another one year deal in all probablility. Mathieu Biron will be signed to a two year deal I think, and given an opportunity to resume his NHL career. A pairing of former 1998 first round draft picks, Biron and Skoula has some merit.

Forward - I see a top line of Michael Ryder, Tomas Plekanec, and Chris Higgins next season despite all the free agent names being thrown about. Plekanec deserves an opportunity to play top line minutes. He isn't the sexy pick as a number one center, but he is a solid two way pivot who can create offense. Not much point having a 90 point player at the position if he is also -30 at even strength. Like it or not, Alexei Kovalev and Sergei Samsonov will be back next year. The situation is such that both the team and the players have to make the best of the situation. Saku Koivu will be charged with making the line work. I also think that Radek Bonk will return at a reduced salary. Bonk seems content in Montreal, and is a solid third line center. Steve Begin figure to be one of his linemates, along with either Guillaume Latendresse or Maxim Lapierre.

I could see the Habs signing free agent Alexandre Giroux, a big LW with a decent scoring touch who has been a solid AHL player for a few seasons. Alex Perezhogin will likely return as a utility forward to round out the four lines. If Andre Kostitsyn has a strong camp, he will force his way into the mix, if he can't dislodge a regular, he will likely be traded. Matt D'Agostini could make a push as well, he can be an energy winger who is capable of playing on an offensive line.

I can tell that you're a big Biron fan, but I don't much see him getting a shot to play a regular shift.

Why is it that Skoula's bounced around in recent years? He was highly heralded in Colorado for a long time, then they didn't even qualify him. Surely there must be some aspects of his game that are lacking.

As well, it seems that Kostitsyn has already won a regular spot for next season based on his play during the last part of this year.

Goal - Huet will be back as number 1 but Halak will get a chance to take over the #1 spot.

We could be looking at a 1a and 1b situation again next year. Price will spend the year in Hamilton. Aebisher will not be resigned. Hard to say where Danis will end up. I suspect he won't resign with us because we are so deep in goal. Where will Leighton end up?

Defense - Gainey has said that resigning Markov and Souray are priorities. As we all know whether he can get Souray to return is a complete mystery. Given Markov's and Gainey's comments I think Markov will return. I think Gainey will try to deal Dandenault and Bouillon and bring in some new Dmen. I expect Streit and Gorges to be regulars next year, although Gorges may be our number 7. Obviously Komisarek will be back. I don't think Niinamaa will be back.

Forward - I think Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev may be our number 1 line at the start of next season. Gainey may shop Kovalev around but there probably won't be any good offers. Samsonov will be bought out or traded for a 5th rounder. Higgins-Plex-Kostitsyn will be our #2 line (maybe #1 by season's end). Johnson won't be back. Bonk may be back but I think other teams will offer more than the Habs and he will go. We'll replace him by Milroy and/or Chipchura we can replace him. Grabovski will be our #3 centre. I'll say he plays between a Perezhogin and Latendresse. Our 4th line will be Begin-Lapierre-Milroy.

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev

Higgins-Plex-Kostitsyn

Latendresse-Grabovski-Perezhogin

Begin-Lapierre-Milroy

Komisarek - Markov

new player - Souray/UFA

new player/Dandenault - Streit

Gorges

Huet

Halak

I still say we should send Sammy the clammy to hamilton next year for at least a month then recall him if he clears maybe then he would like to partake in the game of hockey with the rest of the class. The point of all this is why buy him out? that is expensive both cap wise and $ wise. i think that what will happen if we do this is he will return to Russia with our love and not our cash or he will be claimed on waivers and we will pay 1/2 of his remaining salary much less than buying him out. I know it is only a dream of mine and that Bob probably has too much class to do this to a player but this guy deserves it.

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev

Higgins-Plex-Kostitsyn

Latendresse-Grabovski-Perezhogin

Begin-Lapierre-Milroy

Komisarek - Markov

new player - Souray/UFA

new player/Dandenault - Streit

Gorges

Huet

Halak

This looks very nice indeed. I see that second line moving up to first-line minutes at some point. Begin can be replaced by Chips or Milroy eventually.

First line frightens me. Grossly inconsistent, can't afford another 3-month vacation with a team laden with kids.

D upgrade an absolute priority. 2 or 3 new players, plus someone to cover for the woeful #44 in his own end.

I can tell that you're a big Biron fan, but I don't much see him getting a shot to play a regular shift.

Why is it that Skoula's bounced around in recent years? He was highly heralded in Colorado for a long time, then they didn't even qualify him. Surely there must be some aspects of his game that are lacking.

As well, it seems that Kostitsyn has already won a regular spot for next season based on his play during the last part of this year.

Haven't seen Skoula play a lot, but he seems like the type of player Gainey would sign if he can't sign Souray. Or perhaps Vitali Vishnevsky. There isn't a lot of options out there, and with the salary cap increasing, there is going to be competition for the free agent players. Ramzi Abid is another big LW with local roots who might come to Montreal at a reasoable price. Taylor Pyatt would be a good signing, but Vancouver will probably do everything to hang onto him since he seems to work well with the Sedins. Danius Zubrus had some good things to say about Montreal, and he certainly fits the profile of what they need up front. Viktor Kozlov might be another. Hard to say if Kostitsyn won a spot, he had about 10 good games out of the 22 he played and seemed to disappear at the end of the season. I think he was very close to being a healthy scratch in the last couple of games. I really think that Matt D'Agostini could pass him in training camp this fall. D'Ago has more than twice the points that Kostitsyn scored as an AHL rookie, already this year. He has a lot more competitive drive than Kostitsyn does. So does Ryan White who isn't far behind.

I think a lot of people are confusing Sourays play at the beginning of the season with that of the end. At the end of the year he was playing great defensively at times, not so great at others, but damn...scoring isnt enough for some people. You want 3rd in points and 3rd in +/- before you're happy I guess.

I like Markov but he seemed to gas near the end of the year but no one likes bringing that up, instead of following the crowd and ripping on a player who was a big part of giving us the top power play in the league.

Hard to say if Kostitsyn won a spot, he had about 10 good games out of the 22 he played and seemed to disappear at the end of the season. I think he was very close to being a healthy scratch in the last couple of games. I really think that Matt D'Agostini could pass him in training camp this fall. D'Ago has more than twice the points that Kostitsyn scored as an AHL rookie, already this year. He has a lot more competitive drive than Kostitsyn does. So does Ryan White who isn't far behind.

It seems he was playing the last few games injured. Although he has been sent back to Hamilton for the playoff run he hasn't played yet due to his injury.

Kostityn looks like a player for sure, but you can never *count* on untested young players stepping in and being big contributors. Too many people on this board do that - e.g., people who put Chipchura or Milroy or some other raw rookie on their imaginary lineups for 2008 and enthuse about what a great roster that would be.

Players such as Lapierre and Latendresse have proven they belong, so we can certainly expect decent service out of them - but we should also be prepared for setbacks in their development too; the sophomore jinx isn't entirely fiction.

The young players who can reasonably be asked to STEP UP AND LEAD next season are Higgins, Komisarek, Markov (not so young, but...), and Plekanec - I'd add Ryder but players of that profile (streaky goal scorers) are almost never 'leaders.' It's time for Higgins to put it all together for a point-per-game season, IMHO.

Kostityn looks like a player for sure, but you can never *count* on untested young players stepping in and being big contributors. Too many people on this board do that - e.g., people who put Chipchura or Milroy or some other raw rookie on their imaginary lineups for 2008 and enthuse about what a great roster that would be.

Players such as Lapierre and Latendresse have proven they belong, so we can certainly expect decent service out of them - but we should also be prepared for setbacks in their development too; the sophomore jinx isn't entirely fiction.

The young players who can reasonably be asked to STEP UP AND LEAD next season are Higgins, Komisarek, Markov (not so young, but...), and Plekanec - I'd add Ryder but players of that profile (streaky goal scorers) are almost never 'leaders.' It's time for Higgins to put it all together for a point-per-game season, IMHO.

agree.

THE DANIEL BRIERE CASE : IF BUFFALO LOSES IN THE 1ST OR 2ND ROUND, IT COULD BE GOOD FOR HABS (PROVIDED WE HAVE THE MONEY OF COURSE) :

Maybe he'll be frustrated by the elimination, and remembers that Habs have played Buffalo with less firepower (well, we do have talent, but everybody is praising Buffalo) but with lots of guts (hey, we grabbed 10 pts against Buffalo, and won twice on their ice 2-1 and 5-3) ; so maybe'll think : " they are one all-star center away from becoming a contender ; tabarnak! "

What do u think?? :P

Edited by rafikz

THE DANIEL BRIERE CASE : IF BUFFALO LOSES IN THE 1ST OR 2ND ROUND, IT COULD BE GOOD FOR HABS (PROVIDED WE HAVE THE MONEY OF COURSE) :

Maybe he'll be frustrated by the elimination, and remembers that Habs have played Buffalo with less firepower (well, we do have talent, but everybody is praising Buffalo) but with lots of guts (hey, we grabbed 10 pts against Buffalo, and won twice on their ice 2-1 and 5-3) ; so maybe'll think : " they are one all-star center away from becoming a contender ; tabarnak! "

What do u think?? :P

I really don't want to upset anyone here but buffalo will everything possible to keep briere even if that means to let drury go.

I doubt that Briere leaves, he is very much a product of the system there. Tomas Vanek had a reputation as one of the worst defensive players in the league, and he is a +47 :blink: . Jason Pominville was never anything special and suddenly he looks like an All Star. At least Drury has been consistent wherever he has played and has the reputation for durability and leadership. I would be upset if the Habs signed Briere because his numbers would take a big dive and he wouldn't be as good a two way player as Tomas Plekanec. Pleks has just as much talent and he is a lot sturdier, as well as being 5 years younger. I think the days of signing players like Briere in order to appease a certain segment of the fan base and media are gone. Thank God. :)

Briere had played 200 NHL games and had 100 points at the age of 24.

Plekanec has 150 NHL games and has 75 points so far in his career. Plus he lost a potential NHL season to the lockout. That is pretty damn close between the two of them. Pleks is about 25 pounds heavier, but otherwise they are very similar.

Briere had played 200 NHL games and had 100 points at the age of 24.

Plekanec has 150 NHL games and has 75 points so far in his career. Plus he lost a potential NHL season to the lockout. That is pretty damn close between the two of them. Pleks is about 25 pounds heavier, but otherwise they are very similar.

Wow give Plekanec the 6 million and the C!

We are in good hands. :lol:

No, moron, give him a chance to develop into a team leader. Briere was on the ****ing waiver wire a few years back. It isn't like the team hasn't tried in the past to buy their way to success. Kovalev, Samsonov, Linden, Juneau, Audette, McKay, Perreault, Turgeon. Those all worked out smashingly well.

What exactly is the difference between Briere and Samsonov of a couple years back? The fact that Samsonov had a much better career to that point and was a year younger?

Based on the first game, forget about Briere, go after Chris Drury or Dainius Zubrus. B)

No, moron, give him a chance to develop into a team leader. Briere was on the ****ing waiver wire a few years back. It isn't like the team hasn't tried in the past to buy their way to success. Kovalev, Samsonov, Linden, Juneau, Audette, McKay, Perreault, Turgeon. Those all worked out smashingly well.

What exactly is the difference between Briere and Samsonov of a couple years back? The fact that Samsonov had a much better career to that point and was a year younger?

Yeah like I said, give him the 6 mill and the C, obviously he will be better than Briere and we should completely take any bids in the free agent market out and bring up all our rookies.

That will work splendidly and if anyone knows how to not address problems and sit on our hands at key times it's Gainey. That is why we aren't in the playoffs and have Souray packing his bags right now eh?

Don't be so angry at me, I wasn't the one who fed you paint chips as a child. :lol:

Posters here want to give Briere $6 million or $7 million per year mainly because he is French Canadian. Otherwise they would be saying it would be ridiculous to pay an undersized 30 year old who has only had a couple of good seasons in his career that much. They would say "look at Samsonov, Briere is no different than him.....yada, yada....". There is no gaurantee he would want to come in any event. Andre Savard offered Pierre Turgeon and Martin Lapointe even more money than St. Louis and Boston wasted on them when they were UFAs a few years back. Neither wanted to play in their home province. Can you imagine Savard's legacy if he had thrown away another $30 million or so of George Gillet's dollars on those two?:o

Posters here want to give Briere $6 million or $7 million per year mainly because he is French Canadian. Otherwise they would be saying it would be ridiculous to pay an undersized 30 year old who has only had a couple of good seasons in his career that much. They would say "look at Samsonov, Briere is no different than him.....yada, yada....". There is no gaurantee he would want to come in any event. Andre Savard offered Pierre Turgeon and Martin Lapointe even more money than St. Louis and Boston wasted on them when they were UFAs a few years back. Neither wanted to play in their home province. Can you imagine Savard's legacy if he had thrown away another $30 million or so of George Gillet's dollars on those two?:o

man you know so much about francophone...maybe you should think before you write.

so basicly what you're saying is that the only thing french folks know about hockey is the language of the players, right ?? but, you, you know so much more than me.

hey you're making cherry look like a f-ing genius.

Edited by marky_and_komi