UFA Poll

The-Habby2919

Which UFA will we sign?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be wearing the CH next year?

• Hannan
    • Briere
    • Drury
    • Zubrus
    • Somebody else who could help....
    • Some bum we'll likely end up with...

zubrus????

in some ways, the others don't interest me... even brière. he's too brittle and i don't know how he'd handle the montreal pressure pot...

GO :hlogo: GO!

I'll take Briere, but I'd like to see whats available closer to the UFA market time.

As many players will by then no doubt be already spoke for...

there was talk that briere may join biron in philly.

Go HABS GO!

the 'some bum...' vote is just sour grapes...

the players I'd like to see are tom preissing, chris phillips and eric brewer (though i think he's been signed) for defense

as to the forwards, the only one that tweaks my fancy is paul kariya... but he doesn't answer our 'center' need... brière will cost too much for a fragile player... my take on the forward situation is to continue to grow our own talent... there's lots there to work with...

GO :hlogo: GO!

We've probably got the best shot at Briere but Hannan would probably be the best fit. I believe Drury plays center too?

And what about Scott Gomez?

D

Brad Stuart

Roman Hamrlik

Scott Hannan

Mathew Schneider

Danny Markov

Kimo Timmonen

Vitaly Visnevski

Chris Phillips

Tom Priessing

Brian Rafalski

Forwards

Joe Sakic

Teemu Selanne

Michael Handzus

Kirk Maltby

Paul Kariya

Peter Forsberg

Daniel Briere

Chris Drury

Scott Gomez

Ryan Smyth

Ray Whitney

All in all, I would like to see the Souray gone and the combination of Priessing and Hamrlik signed, probably can be done for max 7M.

Markov Komisarek

Hamrlik Priessing

Streit Bouillon

As for the forwards I am not too high on any of them signing, but at the same time, I think we can go young and in-house, but maybe 1 scorer may help.

Higgins Plex Kosty

Lats Koivu Ryder

Perezhogin Grabovski Kovalev

Begin Lapierre Milroy (or UFA)

For 5.5M though? Seems a bit much.

The UFA player pool doesn't seem that great right now. One of Briere, Gomez or Drury would be nice, but chances are that only Briere will hit the open market and someone will make an insane offer.

I'd love to see Chris Phillips in Montreal.

The Sens just re-signed Volchenkov to a 3-year, 7.5mil deal. I wish we could have acquired him somehow had his contract negotiation had become difficult. He's the type of defenseman we desperately need: a hard-hitting shot blocker.

I can't believe that so many of you think Briere will sign with Montreal. Philly makes the most sense for him probably (if their money offer is competitive), as he'd have Simon Gagne to finish off his passes.

Edited by sbhatt

NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

agreed. Briere will probably sign with someone on July 1, as well as Drury. They'll definitely be off the market by mid-July. Zubrus, we'll we've been down that road before, and I don't think he's anxious to make a return trip. I wouldn't be surprised if he re-signed with Washington. Hannan, he's definitely a guy I'd like to see come to Montreal, but I haven't heard a whole lot about him in the last season or so, so I don't know if the lustre has faded on him or not.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Gainey stayed off the free agent market this summer. The Johnson signing worked out, but the Samsonov deal didn't. I think he'll focus most of his energy on Johnson, Bonk, Markov, Souray, Ryder and Higgins, and maybe try to work the trade market at the draft or the pre-season. I think you could see another three or four rookies on the 23-man roster next fall.

agreed. Briere will probably sign with someone on July 1, as well as Drury. They'll definitely be off the market by mid-July. Zubrus, we'll we've been down that road before, and I don't think he's anxious to make a return trip. I wouldn't be surprised if he re-signed with Washington. Hannan, he's definitely a guy I'd like to see come to Montreal, but I haven't heard a whole lot about him in the last season or so, so I don't know if the lustre has faded on him or not.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Gainey stayed off the free agent market this summer. The Johnson signing worked out, but the Samsonov deal didn't. I think he'll focus most of his energy on Johnson, Bonk, Markov, Souray, Ryder and Higgins, and maybe try to work the trade market at the draft or the pre-season. I think you could see another three or four rookies on the 23-man roster next fall.

I tend to agree with you, Gainey will continue his slow methodical approach and bring up players from Hamilton. I would really like him to do something of a block buster trade to get Lecavelier. We have a surplus of goalies and Tampa can use better goal tending. A package of one or two of our goalies and a top prospect and draft picks could be offered. I know just dreaming but why not dream?

Well, dreaming doesn't hurt anyone but everyone in French Canada has been dreaming of Lecavalier in a Habs uniform since he was drafted...it isn't going to happen, his contract makes it highly unlikely he'll ever be traded.

If he wanted to come to Montreal, he could have decided not to sign a long-term deal, but he committed himself to Tampa Bay with that.

I prefer building from within and giving our young guys a chance. They're cheaper and I must say, no matter who we sign, they rarely turn out. Kovalev has been okay, Samsonov average... we could have saved the bucks and gave full seasons to Kostitsyn and Grabovski.

I'd love to see Gainey sign Ryan Smyth. After that, trade Kovalev for a draft pick to the Islanders. Sort of like a consolation prize for them. Kovalev maintains a home in NY anyway.

I'd love to see Gainey sign Ryan Smyth. After that, trade Kovalev for a draft pick to the Islanders. Sort of like a consolation prize for them. Kovalev maintains a home in NY anyway.

that would be a dream come true.........Smyth for Kovalev (basically)

I also think that Horton or Jokanen might be on there way out of Florida (that team is going nowhere fast), I think that there is a deal to be made there

None of the above for me too.

I don't see anybody up there that can change the team misses.

The trade way is more complicated but it would permit us to put the right guys in place right at the beginning of the season.

My hope for trade out(still under contract or RFA

Dandenault (Gorges, O'byrne)

Bouillon (Streit taking over)

Ryder ( Good value for a 6th rounder to L.A for Cammelleri?)

Kovalev ( Somebody somewhere will take a guess, Pittsburg?)

Samsonov, buy him out.

Thats about it.