Who's your hoped-for 1st round picks for the Canadiens?

shortcat1

Just a note when talking bout the San Jose pick.....I am quite sure it is their own pick not the New Jersey one, and that pick could be in the teens as the draft order no longer goes on points for the teams that make the playoffs in fact if san jose and all 6 division winners lose in the first round our pick would be 16...Its unlikely

I would love Patty Kane

Edited by Finlay12

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note when talking bout the San Jose pick.....I am quite sure it is their own pick not the New Jersey one, and that pick could be in the teens as the draft order no longer goes on points for the teams that make the playoffs in fact if san jose and all 6 division winners lose in the first round our pick would be 16...Its unlikely

I would love Patty Kane

I think Chicago love him more than you do.

I would love Patty Kane

He's a tad on the small side at 166lbs.

I hear he still orders Happy Meals

Even if SJ loses in the first round, this pick is likely to be around 20th.

It is highly unlikely that more than 4 of the 6 conference winners will lose their first round. SJ finished 6th overall. Thus probably at least 2 of the 4 first round losers in the east will pick ahead of SJ's pick. Similarly probably at least 2 of the 4 west first round losers will pick earlier too. Thus we can expect SJ's pick to be something like 18th if we get very lucky. If SJ wins their first round we are looking at the 25th pick or worse.

Incidentally, it seems probable that SJ's pick will be earlier than NJ's.

Edited by Peter Puck

Even if SJ loses in the first round, this pick is likely to be around 20th.

It is highly unlikely that more than 4 of the 6 conference winners will lose their first round. SJ finished 6th overall. Thus probably at least 2 of the 4 first round losers in the east will pick ahead of SJ's pick. Similarly probably at least 2 of the 4 west first round losers will pick earlier too. Thus we can expect SJ's pick to be something like 18th if we get very lucky. If SJ wins their first round we are looking at the 25th pick or worse.

Incidentally, it seems probable that SJ's pick will be earlier than NJ's.

I know but ppl before were syaing it would be 24 or 26...which would mean that sanjose would be one of the highest rated teams to be eliminated in round 2......I just wantes to state that it no longer went on points

PLEASE AVOID ESPOSITO!!! he reminds me too much of Ribeiro

I guess I should have read the first page of this thread before posting.....we all think he is another Ribeiro

Can he skate? If Ribeiro could skate he'd have been great.

I haven't looked at the draft for this year, but I would love to see another Higgins style forward. With this coaching staff, it's all about work ethic. Also, we are weak in the defense department, so look for us to pick up a D man in the first.

I'll accept whoever Trevor Timmins and Bob Gainey think is acceptable. I have yet to be terribly dissapointed in any of their draft picks.

I totally agree.

Since 2001, all our first round pick became or will likely become solid NHLers (I know that in 2001 it wasn't Timmins, but still)

I haven't looked at the draft for this year, but I would love to see another Higgins style forward. With this coaching staff, it's all about work ethic. Also, we are weak in the defense department, so look for us to pick up a D man in the first.

yeah. Let's get either a D or a center, but preferably a D.

Now that we know that Montreal will pick 12th, who would you like them to pick at those positions? Or, do you have any suggestions as to how to improve the situation and, in such a scenario, who would you like to see pick ed then?

If we stay 12th, I hope we still get to pick ANGELO ESPOSITO :D:D:D:D but, if not, I'm not sure yet... I'll have to think about it since I'm pretty focused on Esposito.

As to some possible pick trades, here's what I would like to see:

I hope that Montreal switches 1st picks w/ St. Louis and, as above, takes ANGELO ESPOSITO with the pick. I know that he's pegged as being inconsistent & lazy but he's got talent oozing out the pores. With the proper guidance, he could be a major boom or, agt worst, a minor bust (therefore average 2nd line) player. He's well worth the risk. The other part of that deal would be that Montreal would give St. Louis a second round pick (and/or a third rounder) as compensation.

Now, with the San Jose pick (after they get bumped out in the 1st round :huh: ), I hope that Montreal picks AKIM ALIU :D:D . I know he's got some character issues but he'll grow up and he's a bigger tougher version of Steve Downie... Would be a great compliment to Latendresse.

GO :hlogo: GO!

I agree with your picks shortcat, although i do think it would be weird seeing Aliu in a habs uni after he said and i quote "Koivu's shit!!" This past summer lol

I agree with your picks shortcat, although i do think it would be weird seeing Aliu in a habs uni after he said and i quote "Koivu's shit!!" This past summer lol

Woah!! When did he say that...if its true, I change my vote! No punk kid is allowed to dis the Kaptain!

My first reaction to that quote is to dig out my torch and pitchfork and head to Aliu's house. But after a few minutes to reflect I say draft him and have him put his money where his mouth is. If koivu is shit as he says then he should be able to out play, outscore, and lead better then Saku. Great news for the habs!

However, If he cannot; my torch and pitchfork will be close at hand.

What kind of name is Akim Aliu anyways? He sounds like a baseball player to me.

My first reaction to that quote is to dig out my torch and pitchfork and head to Aliu's house. But after a few minutes to reflect I say draft him and have him put his money where his mouth is. If koivu is shit as he says then he should be able to out play, outscore, and lead better then Saku. Great news for the habs!

However, If he cannot; my torch and pitchfork will be close at hand.

What kind of name is Akim Aliu anyways? He sounds like a baseball player to me.

Ummmm... no, let's not get the guy who dissed the captain right after the GM told the captain he was going to get him some good supporting cast and give the team a chance to be a contender.

He COULD be someone who'll put his money where his mouth is, or he could just have a real attitude problem and still be a disappointment on the ice. YOu can't guarantee a player will be a success on the ice, so let's not start with no guarantee PLUS an attitude problem. After all, remember when Ribs said he'd have more points if Ryder converted his passes? Did he play better after denying the whole thing? No, he just had an attitude problem and the dressing room had one more bad relationship.

Akim Aliu... NO THANK YOU!

Edit: I just want to add that this is the first I've actually heard of this kid, and that my opinions above are assuming he actually made those comments. Source for whoever said he dissed Koivu?

Edited by ShortHanded

Can he skate? If Ribeiro could skate he'd have been great.

If he could skate???!!!

Ribeiro was lightning on ice!!!

Look for yourself

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=203990&hubname=nhl

Yes people....that was sarcasm.

Woah!! When did he say that...if its true, I change my vote! No punk kid is allowed to dis the Kaptain!

No internet source, but I was at my good friend's cottage in Muskoka this past summer, and his sister was dating Akim at the time. He came up too, and we all hung out together...when my buddy told him I was a habs fan and I loved Koivu he told me he was shit. lol

Don't have to believe the story if you don't want to, but I am not making this up.

P.S - Maybe this isn't a big deal, maybe he was just razzing my or something, but it was clear he didn't like him lol

I only brought this up because after his comments, seeing him in a habs uniform would personally be weird for me.

Edited by habsfan88

If the draft isn't deep and we seem covered for a few years I say trade for immediate help.It might seem dumb on the surface but other teams in a different mode then the habs might give up a decent player for those 1st rounders we have.

What's better? Help right now or an average 1st round pick that most likely won't pan out. I say give it up or give them both up and hope we pick a dark horse in the later rounds......

If the draft isn't deep and we seem covered for a few years I say trade for immediate help.It might seem dumb on the surface but other teams in a different mode then the habs might give up a decent player for those 1st rounders we have.

What's better? Help right now or an average 1st round pick that most likely won't pan out. I say give it up or give them both up and hope we pick a dark horse in the later rounds......

Unless we can trade up into the top 5 (using picks only) I completely agree.

Move them both for help now in the form of a top 2 D or a top 2 centre.

Well that is exactly what Gainey said he would do. Either trade up in the draft or trade picks and prospects for guys who can help us out now.