Negotiations tough with Markov?

BTH

i wonder if signing valentenko and emelin make things easier...

probably does little since nobody knows if they'll pan out one day.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope that Montreal isn't getting a bad reputation around the league from Russian players. The Russians surely talk amongst one another and it would be bad if Samsanov, Kovalev and Perz. were starting to scare other Russians from signing with the Habs.

I know it is hard to tell what is true or not behind the scenes but it did appear to me that there was some friction between Carbo and the Russians. It would be terrible if Montreal gained the label within the Russian NHL circles as a place not to sign.

I am just worried that maybe Emelin and Valentanko may be scared off about signing with the Habs because of all the nonsense that was going on over the course of this season. Having said that I really hope they both sign soon.

I wouldn't be to concerned about that. Montreal's still one of the team that employes alot of russian players..if not the number one team.

Markov will sign no worries.

Ryder is the one that will be a problem......damn Leaf fans :angry:

If the money is right, Markov will sign. I don't see him giving the Canadiens a 'hometown discount'. Might be able to further entice him by throwing in an extra 'player option' year and a no-trade clause though.

Ryder is the one that will be a problem......damn Leaf fans :angry:

I'm going to incur some wrath from the Newfies on the board but really now, those guys like the Leafs becauase they had their silly affiliate in St. John's? That's one heck of a reason...NOT!

I'm going to incur some wrath from the Newfies on the board but really now, those guys like the Leafs becauase they had their silly affiliate in St. John's? That's one heck of a reason...NOT!

That was years ago though.

I guess what they say is true after all. The leafs and thier spawn (AHL teams) are like herpes. Even when they are gone, they are still there for life.

If the money is right, Markov will sign. I don't see him giving the Canadiens a 'hometown discount'. Might be able to further entice him by throwing in an extra 'player option' year and a no-trade clause though.

I think he will give a home town discount.

$3.5 -$4M per is what he will likely get. Then maybe he can start being as consistent as his new contract.

Habitforming, I would say that salary would be too low for Markov. I can see him signing 4.75M x 4. Would you not be willing to pay that for your #1 defenceman?

Habitforming, I would say that salary would be too low for Markov. I can see him signing 4.75M x 4. Would you not be willing to pay that for your #1 defenceman?

Totally agreed with you on that one, he is our #1 defenseman after all

It isn't that it is all I would offer him.

He is our number one D-man just not a top 5 in the league guy (yet) so I don't think he will get $5M per season.

The numbers I suggested is what I think he will take (with a home team discount) but what do I know?

Your suggestion of $4.75M could be exactly what he gets and it wouldn't be overpaying, just market and team value.

Somewhat reassuring. Thanks for the link!

No problem... I don't think we're done by any means. Still negotiating and signing to be done, and you don't want to count your chickens before they hatch, but seriously, is this a far cry from what LaPresse was reporting and got us all worried aobut? Yes! and Hickey has quotes from his agent, so it's not like he's making it up.

All indications are that the Habs will retain Markov's services and it will be done before the July 1 deadline of his unrestricted free agency. Let's also hope Souray can be resigned before then as well. Thus, Gainey can concentrate on putting the rest of the pieces into place.

By resigning those 2, Souray and Markov, and the other D already under contract, how does this make the team better? The pieces that need to change are at the back end. There are other needs obviously, grit, size, toughness and some "real" leaders who care about winning. Having the same D core will not help. It only makes them a year older, not better.

Sign Markov,

Let Souray go, trade a few D if possible. All my free agent money goes to the back end.

Higgins Pleks Kosty were an awesome line once put together.

Lats Koivu Kovalev are the other top line.

Let Souray go

Gainey has already stated publicly that he didn't trade Souray at the trade deadline because he wants to keep him. So I don''t know why people expect Souray to be moved.

That's fine, I'll beleive it when i see it, he will take the money and run.

If he is resigned, I'll predict TODAY, without a MAJOR upgrade to the D core, the Habs will be out of the playoffs again.

I love the young talent and Goaltending is outstanding, the future looks bright. No new D would be a major disappointment in the offseason.

With the way playoff are referred right now we would have been out in 4 games. The only way the Isles are competionning is with slow defenders cross checking and cheapshotting.

We need more of that, Dandenouille and Bouillon would have been awful in the playoffs this year, i hope we get rid of them both.

I sincerely hope for Markov and Souray to be back next year along with Emelin and Streit on the left side.

On the right side Komo is the number 1, a right D that can make a first pass and O'byrne graduating to NHL level. Gorges as the depht defense.

Actually no good winger such as Smyth or perhaps a center of the caliber of Drury or Brière would be a dissapointment for me.

Maybe Gainey will surprise us with a blockbuster trade if it isnt done via UFA, but i doubt it...

The real questionsfor me is which player Carbo doesnt want to see anymore that arent under contract...in the RFA and UFA

I think you will see alot of UFA's walking. (Johnson and Markov) stay is my prediction. Chipchure can step in for Bonk.

People shouldn't dismiss Gorges as being a starter next year, he does several things that the Habs need, he can skate, move the puck and is very smart.

Don Meehan announces that he believes Markov will be signed before July 1st. :clap:

better make it long term !!