The Virginia Tech University Massacre

Pierre the Great

But when the guy starts shooting people, you wouldn't just sit there and wait your turn.

go to cnn.com

a student took a cell phone video and you can hear the gun fire.

My guess is this:

The guy got everyone to line up.

And then when it became obvious that he was going to 'execute' them the students ran at him and with his semi automatic 9mms he fired back at all of them.

Think of normandy invasion. If all the students rushed the gunman he could just quickly shoot him.

And if you watch the video the gun shots start of slowly and then its bang bang bang bang bang bang really fast.

correct.....

cool

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go to cnn.com

a student took a cell phone video and you can hear the gun fire.

My guess is this:

The guy got everyone to line up.

And then when it became obvious that he was going to 'execute' them the students ran at him and with his semi automatic 9mms he fired back at all of them.

Think of normandy invasion. If all the students rushed the gunman he could just quickly shoot him.

And if you watch the video the gun shots start of slowly and then its bang bang bang bang bang bang really fast.

Geez, 32 people are dead and you guys are already arguing about semantics. Haven't you any respect for the dead?

uhh do you watch the american media?

CNN had a counter on the Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer counting the gun shots.

No, I don't watch the American media.

But is it honestly necessary for you guys to debate whether or not the people who were shot could have "rushed" the gunman? I've seen you two argue before and I'm just concerned that it could quickly spiral out of control.

uhh do you watch the american media?

CNN had a counter on the Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer counting the gun shots.

yeah it's true the video took with the cell phone is shocking.

By the way, you can now edit the subtitle of this topic... a very sad day.

Edited by JoeLassister

But is it honestly necessary for you guys to debate whether or not the people who were shot could have "rushed" the gunman? I've seen you two argue before and I'm just concerned that it could quickly spiral out of control.

This has nothing to do with arguing with each other. I'm just trying to figure out how this thing happened. I honestly cannot fathom how a single gunman would be able to kill an entire classroom of people. From what I've read, there was one shooting in his dorm, and the rest were in the classroom, which means to me that he killed 30 people in one room. Based on the video PTG mentioned, it sounds like 5 shots before the rapid fire begins. I just can't figure out how one person held off 25 people, even if they were unarmed. I'm just trying to figure out what happened.

I also can't fathom how the campus was not put on lockdown after the initial shooting, especially since there was another, unrelated shooting on the other side of campus. As soon as the shooting was reported, every building, classroom, and dorm should have immediately been locked down. Just terrible that campus security was so poor.

This has nothing to do with arguing with each other. I'm just trying to figure out how this thing happened. I honestly cannot fathom how a single gunman would be able to kill an entire classroom of people. From what I've read, there was one shooting in his dorm, and the rest were in the classroom, which means to me that he killed 30 people in one room. Based on the video PTG mentioned, it sounds like 5 shots before the rapid fire begins. I just can't figure out how one person held off 25 people, even if they were unarmed. I'm just trying to figure out what happened.

I also can't fathom how the campus was not put on lockdown after the initial shooting, especially since there was another, unrelated shooting on the other side of campus. As soon as the shooting was reported, every building, classroom, and dorm should have immediately been locked down. Just terrible that campus security was so poor.

One news source says that the campus had been put under lockdown after the first incident, but had lifted it?

If that is true then a truly horrible decision with tragic repercussions was made.....

CBC News

p.s. I can understand the fact that people will wonder just how this can happen , and how it could have unfolded. There will be a lot of questions asked - and rightly so! This is a tragedy in all senses of the word, and emotions are genuine & raw from all posting here. Each is entitled to a rational discussion of this depraved act of inhumanity.... As a group of fans with a common interest this is of higher focus than any game the Habs, or any other organization could have ever played on this dark & dreary day.

I urge all of us here as a band of brothers(and sisters), let us have the utmost of respect for those who have suffered so greatly on this sad occasion.....

Edited by beliveau1

from what I heard the first shooting was this:

gunman talking to girlfriend, they start fighting, the da of the dorms (you know they guy who runs the dorms an older student) approached the gunman. He then shot the da, and the girlfriend and went to class, chained the doors to the room. Then lined everyone up and started shooting the classmates.

One news source says that the campus had been put under lockdown after the first incident, but had lifted it?

If that is true then a truly horrible decision with tragic repercussions was made.....

Good grief, people should be prosecuted if that is true.

Good grief, people should be prosecuted if that is true.

If true, then yes - but that is far from the first concern at this moment......

That time will come, for now it is a time of shock and for true compassion.

(one of the great problems is the fact that a lot of what is being circulated is currently rumours - nothing has been substantiated at this point.)

Edited by beliveau1

Gunman may have been in U.S. on visa

Chicago Sun-Times

Authorities were investigating whether the gunman who killed 32 people on the Virginia Tech campus in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history was a Chinese man who arrived in the United States last year on a student visa.

The 24-year-old man arrived in San Francisco on United Airlines on Aug. 7 on a visa issued in Shanghai, the source said. Investigators have not linked him to any terrorist groups, the source said.

Police believe three bomb threats on the campus last week may have been attempts by the man to test the campus’ security response, the source said.

The exits to the buildings where the shootings occurred were chained by the shooter, the source said.

--------------------------------------------

T-word, is going to pop up if this is true. It makes sense. The people in the classes said he must of had military training because he was quick to reload and flawless.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/343354...h041607.article

Gunman may have been in U.S. on visa

Chicago Sun-Times

Authorities were investigating whether the gunman who killed 32 people on the Virginia Tech campus in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history was a Chinese man who arrived in the United States last year on a student visa.

The 24-year-old man arrived in San Francisco on United Airlines on Aug. 7 on a visa issued in Shanghai, the source said. Investigators have not linked him to any terrorist groups, the source said.

Police believe three bomb threats on the campus last week may have been attempts by the man to test the campus' security response, the source said.

The exits to the buildings where the shootings occurred were chained by the shooter, the source said.

--------------------------------------------

T-word, is going to pop up if this is true. It makes sense. The people in the classes said he must of had military training because he was quick to reload and flawless.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/343354...h041607.article

What's with the censoring of terrorist? Last time I checked it wasn't a naughty word nor offensive to anyone.

As for the military training, what's the status on conscription in China? It could just be that he went through basic training and then decided to pursue his education in America. I do agree that he wasn't just some random guy who picked up a gun, because there's no one someone could mow down an entire classroom with only two 9mm. The clip is something like 11 or 13 bullets I believe.

I'm calling it the 't-word' because I guess you don't understand what it's like to live where I live but people are freaked out of their minds. Its the 50's, 60's, 70's all over again with schools having nuclear fall out shelters.

ATF says the shooter was not a student at VT. Has a home or is living somewhere near.

What's with the censoring of terrorist? Last time I checked it wasn't a naughty word nor offensive to anyone.

As for the military training, what's the status on conscription in China? It could just be that he went through basic training and then decided to pursue his education in America. I do agree that he wasn't just some random guy who picked up a gun, because there's no one someone could mow down an entire classroom with only two 9mm. The clip is something like 11 or 13 bullets I believe.

Bush allowed the semi automatic weapons ban to expire. Making bigger clips that were illegal, legal.

I only just heard about this, holy shit. I hate this kind of crap, I always go into a depressing mood. My thoughts and prayers are with the friends and families of the victims for sure. Just horrendous.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the coming weeks when the pictures of the dead will be everywhere. I know it's understandable but it only makes me feel worse.

I probably sound selfish now though which makes me feel bad too. Haha.

There's a rumour that one of the people dead is a football player so that means ESPN will cover it, now.

geez, you are a contrarian. ESPN was on this story immediately - everbody was.

They did kinda look at the sports angle insofar as they got some quotes from the football coach, but ESPN is not as viciously opportunistic as you make them out to be.

Critique people when they do wrong, but at least let them do wrong first.

BTW - would you like ESPN not to report that a VA Tech football player was killed?

Edited by simonus

Welcome to the brave new world. When I was an adolesent I was very sad and withdrawn at times. Who wasn't? It's a difficult time even for ther best of us. My minor in university is Soc. I'm going to use this as a point of reference.

I wouldn't wish teen years on anyone, even my worst enemy. Statisically speaking, the 2 demographics that have the highest frequency of suicide are teens and the elderly. I won't explain why because it's obvious why these 2 groups are highest.

Taking teens and tweens into account and adding a little, "Grand Theft Auto" or whatever negative influence it is probably has some impact on why this is happening. Twenty years ago when a t(w)een commited suicide, they did it alone.

Today it seems that these troubled kids want to take their tormentors (in their own thinking) with them for the ride.

I'm sure there are other causes but this is a troubling stat and in some cases this may be the reason. Hopefully we can work on educating our youth and maybe the stop bullying programs can be given more teeth...

...I dunno. Sad stuff :( .

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN