Gillett Looking to Sell ?

JMMR

in austrian newspapers you can read that red bull owner didi mateschitz wants to buy the canadiens.

here is a link ==> http://www.sportnet.at/channel.aspx?...0-f87b9e0a1b0f ( german )

mateschitz calls his own: two soccer clubs ( Red Bulls Salzburg and New York Red Bulls ), one hockey club ( Red Bulls Salzburg ) and one and a half formula 1 teams´( Red Bull Renault and Torro Rosso ).

here is the homepage from red bull ==> www.redbull.com

there have allready been meetings between red bull and gilette ...

If he can't rename the team he'll rename the arena I bet.

I have absolutely no connection to the "Bell Centre", they could call it the "Red Bull Spaz-Zone" for all I care.

I was kidding about the team name thing.

It's a depressing proposition, since Gilette has been such a great owner. New ownership comes in, you have no idea what will follow - they might want to put their own people in place (bye, Boivin, bye Gainey). This organization desperately needs stability and this threatens it.

Don't count on it. This isn't the first time I hear this and I seriously doubt Gillett sells the team. Look at how much he bought it for and look how much the Habs are worth now. The good news for him is that the value will only keep increasing.

It's a depressing proposition, since Gilette has been such a great owner. New ownership comes in, you have no idea what will follow - they might want to put their own people in place (bye, Boivin, bye Gainey). This organization desperately needs stability and this threatens it.

True I want Gillett to remain with the CH. But, seriously, if I was Georges, i would maybe sell the Canadien. Liverpool FC is way enough to handle in a way bigger market.

Not sure about all of you guys but I'm turning Red and thats no Bull!

I don't like this move at all!

I am having the same concerns.

True I want Gillett to remain with the CH. But, seriously, if I was Georges, i would maybe sell the Canadien. Liverpool FC is way enough to handle in a way bigger market.

From what I've heard, George isn't a hands-on owner, like Jerry Jones or George Steinbrenner. One of George's sons is working with the team in Montreal, and he's partnered with Tom Hicks in Liverpool, so they probably have very little active participation in the team's operation. More or less regular meetings and let the guys in the offices do their jobs.

But even those who thought the worst have to admit, Gillett has been a terrific owner, and is supposed to be very active aomng the owners as well. I'd certainly hate to see him go, no matter what reputation Mateschitz has.

'Bell Centre' is sh*te. If it ain't 'The Forum', it just ain't.

LFC is a real playaz market. I hate to say it, but we are small potatoes when it comes to filling Rafa's wish list. They want to win the Prem, which means somehow knocking out Chelsea's spending power and Man U's talent machine. These are challenges which the whole sporting world will be watching (anyone who's been to Thailand will know what I'm talking about).

Red Bull seem flush with cash and getting into the sporting world big time - everything from F1 to MLS. They have ga-zillions, sad to see Gilette go if true but whatever, trading cards for the uber-rich. As long as we can spend to the cap limit, we're fine.

No clue if they are hands-on/hands-off people.

Bettman made George $millions upon $millions by helping this guy get the team at a good $ figure and is now worth more. B)

Plus a 24% reduction in salaries gave George $millions more. :huh:

And to top it off with a salary cap, George is going to make $millions more that he takes from the players. :o

Do ya'all think he would adopt me? :D:D:D

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

I take it back. I just read about how the Red Bull guy raped the football club, Salzburg.

Major c**t. Avoid like the plague.

If Gilette did sell to him, I would expect the league to come in and protect us, as they did the Pens. Or are we nothing to Buttman & his bum-boys?

Hopefully, George is just having a suck attack after blowing it to the Laffs.

I was reading somewhere else that these meetings that Gillett and this Red Bull guy were having may be over the shirt sponsership for LFC. I guess the Carlesberg jersey sponspership is up at the end of this season or next.

This might make more sense then Gillett selling the Habs?

I was reading somewhere else that these meetings that Gillett and this Red Bull guy were having may be over the shirt sponsership for LFC. I guess the Carlsburg jersey sponspership is up at the end of this season or next.

This might make more sense then Gillett selling the Habs?

That does make a ton of sense.

Liverpool is a market of 800,000 people. Montreal is 3.6 million, with a following across Canada. What are you talking about?

Liverpool is a market of 800,000 people. Montreal is 3.6 million, with a following across Canada. What are you talking about?

To be fair Liverpool has a massive world following though. The Habs seem to have a good world following as well but nothing like Liverpool.

But that is beside the point I still don't think Gillett is going to sell the Habs.

Dude, Liverpool fans are all over the world. They're historically the most successful English football club. They have a pretty significant following.