HABS vs SENS (March 25th / Gamethread)

puck7x

Anyone else notice how much clutching and grabbing the Senators do during the game? I noticed it the last few times we played them, and its happening again tonight. The habs cannot skate through the neautral zone without having a Senator draped on their back piggybacking on them...

BUT... Thats not an excuse for tonights game, the Sens are clearly the better team tonight.

Originally posted by puck7x

Anyone else notice how much clutching and grabbing the Senators do during the game? I noticed it the last few times we played them, and its happening again tonight. The habs cannot skate through the neautral zone without having a Senator draped on their back piggybacking on them...  

BUT... Thats not an excuse for tonights game, the Sens are clearly the better team tonight.

I agree completely. They own both zones. We can't set up anything. They grab and hold on every play. Come on ref, let's see some obstruction and holding penalties.

:wall:

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

I agree completely. They own both zones. We can't set up anything. They grab and hold on every play. Come on ref, let's see some obstruction and holding penalties.

:wall:

The refs arent calling anything because their is too much too call. It happens all the time, they arent going to call everything (because they would give the habs a 60 minute PP) , and they arent going to call just 1 or 2 penalties and let the rest go....

The only time interference gets called is when a little bit of it happens, but when tons of it happens the refs choose to let it go rather then do their jobs.

4-0 Sens... Spezza got one...

And Kovalev is now being boo'ed (by a small, but loud) group of fans. Not good news at all, this will make it more difficult to re-sign him...

Damn fans! Talk about being impatient... Did they expect Kovalev to step into the lineup and take charge, put the team on his back and score hat-trick every night? And why boo him tonight? What about the other 19 players who are scratching their asses all night long?

4-0 now. I thought Lalime sucked and the Senators were struggling. What the hell's going on?

These last two games have been frustrating to watch. One point away from a playoff spot and if we win both we're a point ahead of Ottawa. Arrrgghh!

And Kovalev is now being boo'ed (by a small, but loud) group of fans. Not good news at all, this will make it more difficult to re-sign him...

Damn fans! Talk about being impatient... Did they expect Kovalev to step into the lineup and take charge, put the team on his back and score hat-trick every night? And why boo him tonight? What about the other 19 players who are scratching their asses all night long?

Look at it from another point of view. Here's a guy the GM calls "a reward" and the press called a "superstar". Other than two assists and an empty netter, he's done nothing so far. He does appear to be snakebitten but still...his job is to score and he's not doing that.

Kovalev = Downfall of this team!

He's a lazy bastard thats rubbing off on the teammates. I have never seen someone cause so many god damn offsides in my life becuase he takes his sweet time getting out of the zone. He plays with the puck a lot thus causing a good amount of turn overs also and when he does handle the puck good the team just sits and watches him. I don't want him back next year he doesn't fit in with this system.

Originally posted by Habinator33

Kovalev = Downfall of this team!

He's a lazy bastard thats rubbing off on the teammates.  I have never seen someone cause so many god damn offsides in my life becuase he takes his sweet time getting out of the zone.  He plays with the puck a lot thus causing a good amount of turn overs also and when he does handle the puck good the team just sits and watches him.  I don't want him back next year he doesn't fit in with this system.

Could not disagree more.

Watch him with the puck. The guy is excellent. He has been flopped around from line to line, playing with different people all the time. He needs to be put on a line and left there. Kovy and his linemates need time to gel.

Kovalev will make a differnce in the playoffs.

:hlogo:

Kovalev is a Cancer he's Malakhov Version 2.0 i watched him all season long and he looks exactly the same as he did on NY. Yea he can stick handle but has it gotten him anywhere no. Look at the powerplay how many times he just stickhandles with the puck and loses it. He's the one that caused the Bondra penalty shot. Watch him jerk off in the offensive zone as players like Koivu have the puck and are ready to go in but wait they can't becuase the lazy ass Kovalev is playing with himself. When he does look good everyone just watches him as if he's going to beat every defensemen and come in on the goalie and score. Lets face it a player like him will not have sucess in this system. Guys like Alfredsson, Smyth they would.

Either don't resign him or someone better hit him over the head with a stick and tell him to wake up.

I hate to say it, but anyone bashing Kovalev really should be shutting the hell up. Sorry for the harsh words, but it's stupid to treat the man in such a way. We've lose two games and a bunch of fools jump on this guy, it's pretty disgusting.

We have a good thing going and a few bastards at the Booth decide they'd like to give Kovy a taste of shit. What does that send to other players in the league? Why should they play in Montreal if stars get booed for no legitimate reason.

[Edited on 2004/3/26 by jl.roberts]

Originally posted by jl.roberts

I hate to say it, but anyone bashing Kovalev really should be shutting the hell up. Sorry for the harsh words, but it's stupid to treat the man in such a way. We've lose two games and a bunch of fools jump on this guy, it's pretty disgusting.

We have a good thing going and a few bastards at the Booth decide they'd like to give Kovy a taste of shit. What does that send to other players in the league? Why should they play in Montreal if stars get booed for no legitimate reason.

[Edited on 2004/3/26 by jl.roberts]

Hear Hear!!

Kovalev he's been a Hab for what, coupla weeks? He deserves fan support, give him a chance!

:hlogo::can::ghg::que::hlogo:

//Edit: you wrote "Christ" instead of Kovalev.

[Edited on 2004-3-26 by sakiqc]

I live in New York so i got to see Kovalev first hand every single game this season and he has looked awful. I'm getting on him for his poor season not for montreal losing 2 games. He has been nothing but completely lazy and has lacked any motivation what so ever. I though the Montreal atmosphere and the ability to play on a playoff team would've motivated him and he would stop being lazy but nope same old Kovalev. Lets put it this way everyone i know is laughing like crazy because Balej is playing great for them and Kovalev is the same old guy they boo'd this season for playing with no heart. Hell i want the guy to succed just as anyone. I'm just sick and tired of seeing players with all the talent in the world playing with absoultly no heart. I say play him on a line with Begin and Ryder show what it means to play hard maybe that will wake him up but right now he's just a sleeping giant on the ice.

I guess Gainey was right though when he originally said he would not make any moves because players have a hard time addapting to a different system so late in the season and he pointed out to Nolan. Hopefully if they do resign him he gets a fresh start and gets going.

One things for sure Julien better get these guys going now becuase this powerplay has been pretty bad he's gotta get alittle hard on them the next two days and work on some stuff in practice and get some line combos that will work. If they keep playing flat like they have the last two days I say he benches someone from the top two lines. It seems to work well for him.

well :(

It's sad his arrival didn't had an immediate impact, like it often happens (see sullivan :o )

But it's still a great addition. Kovalev will give us 1 or 2 more wins on the playoffs that we wouldn'T had. I hope that will make a difference in the end.. and Gainey will look as a genious.

Until then, it was a smart move. I hope it turns as a genious trade :/):ghg:

Well Kovalev hasn't really met expectations for me so far, but give him some time. I just wonder if he would have all this bashing if a few of his shots hadn't of hit the post and had been goals. He is a great player and i still have confidence that he will turn it around. Now let's secure a playoff spot and move onwards.

:ghg:

You know what i think????

Steve Begin is the most important player on this team right now!.....His energy rubs off on everyone else and inturn helps the habs win games. in the games that he has been out of the lineup, there has been no passion, no desire to win at all..No one except maybe Ryder and the goalies and even Komi lately are giving that extra effort, and this is the time of year when the extra effort wins hockey games!....

as for Kovalev, I wont exactly bash the guy yet, but he hasn't done a ######ing thing....I expected way more then an empty net goal from him at this point in time..And Tonight was probably his worst game.. Why the hell did he go and take two stupid penalties while the team was on the powerplay........ The only reason i wont bash him more is because the poor guy is being tossed around from line to line like a ragdoll, as most of the players on the team are....

Julien, in case you didn't know the Playoffs are just a couple weeks away, I think its time you figured out who the hell is gonna be playing together!

:devil:, i think all of Habs fans will need to be smoking somethin before this season is over! haha

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

Damn fans! Talk about being impatient... Did they expect Kovalev to step into the lineup and take charge, put the team on his back and score hat-trick every night?

Actually, yes.

I'm sure a lot of fans expected Kovalev to do that.

The fans who've never strapped on skates before, maybe.

And the really funny and odd part of this KOvalev bashing is that Gainey tried to let the fans know to not get their expectations up. BUt oh well, all we can hope for is the best and hope that we sign him for next year, in which I think he will make a difference. But as I said before, its too late in the season for him to make any large difference. As long as we sign him I'll be optimistic even though I had and still do have mixed feelings about the trade. GO HABS GO!!!!!:/)

Originally posted by Habinator33

I live in New York so i got to see Kovalev first hand every single game this season and he has looked awful.  I'm getting on him for his poor season not for montreal losing 2 games.  He has been nothing but completely lazy and has lacked any motivation what so ever.  I though the Montreal atmosphere and the ability to play on a playoff team would've motivated him and he would stop being lazy but nope same old Kovalev.  Lets put it this way everyone i know is laughing like crazy because Balej is playing great for them and Kovalev is the same old guy they boo'd this season for playing with no heart.  Hell i want the guy to succed just as anyone.  I'm just sick and tired of seeing players with all the talent in the world playing with absoultly no heart.  I say play him on a line with Begin and Ryder show what it means to play hard maybe that will wake him up but right now he's just a sleeping giant on the ice.

Your point is well spoken and I understand what you are saying.

I do think he deserves (Kovalev) a chance to play on a line with the same players for a couple of weeks before we judge him.

He has played on the first line for a game, then on the second for a few, then on the third, then on the first for a while again.

His talents as well as his problems are unknown really. His linemates don't really know who he is.

Julienne needs to stop moving him around.

The playoffs will make or break him. He will be on one line, not three.

If he sucks then see ya later.

First thing to say is: give kovalev some time.........

also, about the line changes......I COMPLETELY DISAGREE!!

i mean, if you want to get kovalev comfortable, keep him on a line so he can get comfortable! keep him on the first line! i dont really care about putting dags on the second with ribeiro and ryder.... i dont really have an opinion on the rest, leave that to the coach.

but really, keep kovy with koivu and zednik, let him get used to it, and he will make an impact!