We might be facing OTT after all

Habs77

Here's the situation:

BOS 102.. 2 games remaining: NJ twice

OTT 102.. 1 game remaining: Toronto

TOR 101.. 1 game remaining: Ottawa

Both OTT & TO would win a tiebreaker over BOS... they have more wins.

If OTT beats TO... BOS needs 3pts in their last 2 games to clinch the division and face MTL.

And remember Thornton won't be playing for at least one of the two NJ games, so 3 points would be tough.

If TO beats OTT or it's a tie.. BOS just needs a split in their 2 games vs NJ to face MTL.

So Go Leafs!... if you want to face the Bruins that is, potentially with a less than 100% Thornton.

We'll be flipping to the Leafs/Sens game a lot tomorrow night... I'm pretty sure of that.

And the Isles won so the Habs need at least a point to guarantee 7th spot... and Buffalo is elimintated, so we should be the hungrier team tomorrow and end on a good note.

[Edited on 3-4-04 by Habs77]

Hate to say it, but I'm cheering for Toronto tonight but I doubt they'll win because they do in fact suck.

Also, even if we do lose, would 8th be that bad? Sure I'd rather see MTL vs BOS, but TB would be ok.

:hlogo::/):can:

If Devils beat the bruins in both games this weekend, it doesn't matter what ottawa does, devils will be the second seed. Devils will win the tie breaker with ottawa (most head to head points). so it looks like boston or new jersey, with an outside shot of Ottawa.

Originally posted by GoHabs2002

If Devils beat the bruins in both games this weekend, it doesn't matter what ottawa does, devils will be the second seed. Devils will win the tie breaker with ottawa (most head to head points). so it looks like boston or new jersey, with an outside shot of Ottawa.

It is impossible for the Devils to get the 2nd seed. Why? Because Ottawa/Toronto play each other and 2 points are guaranteed to be awarded...

OTT: 102

TOR: 101

NJ: 100

So lets say NJ gets the win tomorrow, takes them up to 102.... But tonight someone (or both teams) in the Ottawa/Toronto games will get points and pass the devils

Btw: Devils beat the Bruins today, bad news for the habs... Its more and more likely that we are going to play Ottawa... So Go Toronto (Did I say that?) tonight! , it helps Boston, and if Boston cant win, then it sets up Habs/Leafs... And I'll take that matchup before Habs/Sens.

[Edited on 2004-4-3 by puck7x]

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. I was sure and Toronto had two points less (100, 98 respectively). Even when I looked at it, I didn't see the 102 for ottawa :wall:

Oh well, then time for a good game tonite nonetheless. Wouldn't it be great to upset the leafs in the first round, that would be so awesome.

Boston lost to NJ today... so if OTT wins tonight they get 2nd spot in the conference.

Even if we lose tonight, we might not be able to escape them... as NYI might lose tomorrow vs Philly as well to make sure they face Tampa.

For the first time since I can remember I'm pulling for the Leafs tonight.

If TO wins... then we face Boston if they win tomorrow, TO if Boston loses tomorrow.

Quite frankly, I want to face anyone but OTT... that's the bottom line.

But I'm afraid that's exactly what is going to happen.

Edit: in other words, exactly what puck said 2 posts above... hehe

[Edited on 3-4-04 by Habs77]

I just look at the matchups this year:

5-2 loss

6-2 loss

3-2 win

5-2 loss

4-2 win

4-0 loss

We were outscored 20-11... 2-4 record

vs Toronto:

4-0 win

1-0 loss

4-2 loss

4-1 loss

5-4 loss

4-3 win

We were outscored 17-15... 2-4 record

vs Boston:

2-0 loss

1-0 win

1-1 tie

1-0 loss

3-2 win

3-2 loss

We were outscored 9-7... 2-3-1 record

Ottawa might not be as nasty physically as the other two, but to me they give us more problems.

I think we have a better chance of surprising Boston or Toronto... even if there's no doubt they have better goaltending than OTT. Where we can exploit both those teams is on defense though.

Especially if Thornton is hurt... Boston just took a big blow. They should play a spirited game tomorrow so they can get a shot at us.

If Boston beat NJ tomorrow:

TAM/NYI

BOS/MTL

PHI/NJ

TOR/OTT

If NJ wins, or tie:

TAM/NYI

TOR/MTL

PHI/NJ

OTT/BOS

That's it... so only our division still needs to sort things out. TAM/NYI & PHI/NJ are set.

Well, it's either the Leafs or the B's next, either way, 2 really good rivalries to start off the playoffs. I'd rather face the Bruins, personally.

Still funny that a 6th seed in the East is going to have at least 100 pts.

Originally posted by Habs77

That's it... so only our division still needs to sort things out. TAM/NYI & PHI/NJ are set.

Even if Philly wins, and Boston loses? Wouldn't that swap the B's and Flyers around? (4th to Philly, 6th to Boston). Isn't the first tiebreaker overall wins? Philly would end up with 41, Boston with 40.

If that were the case, that would be interesting, Boston would play the Devils in the playoffs, just after playing their last 2 regular season games against them.

A Montreal/Toronto series would be sweet, even though the pressure would be enourmous on habs fans like myself living the Toronto region, it would be incredible to beat them out. Either way we get a nice rivalry in the first round, and then most likely Tampa in the second round if we get that far (i don't give NYI much of a chance but i'll eat my words if i'm wrong.)

:ghg:

Originally posted by Quebecois

A Montreal/Toronto series would be sweet, even though the pressure would be enourmous on habs fans like myself living the Toronto region, it would be incredible to beat them out. Either way we get a nice rivalry in the first round, and then most likely Tampa in the second round if we get that far (i don't give NYI much of a chance but i'll eat my words if i'm wrong.)

:ghg:

Yeahm that would be incredible to play the Leafs. Will be intense games, but also really stressful. That'd be awesome to kick them off the 1st round :clap::ghg: IYF TO

Why do you guys want to see the Habs play the Leafs?

Strictly for entertainment?

I want to see this team go as far as possible, and that would be (probably) easier against the Bruins.

No offense to them since both are great teams but the Habs will have more trouble defeating Toronto.

BTW, if Montreal makes the conference finals, who in the West would you want them to play?

I would like either the Canucks (easiet) or Avalanche (entertaining).

So its between Bruins/Leafs, one of the two will face off against the habs in round 1. Either way we're in for another original 6 playoff matchup, both teams are tough, and physical, the leafs are deeper, and the more challanging opponent imo. But just imagine the atmosphere of a habs/leafs playoff series? wow...

The good thing though, all 1st round habs home-game tickets are sold out.... TO HABS FANS. If we play the leafs, the Bell Centre will be nearly 100% habs fans cheering on the good guys... (probably a few leafs fans who bought from scalpers in there) .... On the flip side though, it also means that their will be few Habs fans at the ACC.

[Edited on 2004-4-4 by puck7x]

Yes it seems I concentrated on the Habs angle and skimmed too quickly on the rest... as some of you pointed out, PHI could yet pass BOS and it would change all the matchups.

Talk about the regular season being meaningful until the very last day... I love it.

The Boston-NJ game will be on TSN @ 1pm Sunday for those who want to discover our fate live.

P.S. I've seen the Thornton play where he got hurt, and IMO he seemed to have suffered a rib injury... not the wrist.

Rib injuries are a bitch... they hurt even by just breathing hard, let alone play a contact sport. If that's what it is, it often takes 2-6 weeks to heal depending on the severity.

He could try to play with it, but one good hit would take him out again... Bégin would be more than happy to return the favor.

No cheap shots needed, just a clean hit.

Obviously I'm just guessing here... could be the wrist as they say.

Gotta love Ottawa eh? They are the biggest chokers in sports history. Man they make the 86 Red Sox look good.

Two years ago, up 3-2 against the Leafs in the series on home ice, they took a 2-0 lead in the first. Only to blow it and lose the series.

They were up 1-0 in game seven with the potential of winning their conference. They blow it and lose the game in the final minutes.

Now they have the division title on the line, so what do they do? Well not show up. 6-0 ass kicking from a team that has owned them this season.

I really wish we could have played Ottawa cause I firmly believe we could have beatin them.

With Thornton hurt, I'd rather play the B's, but I still think the Habs could beat the Leafs. If Theo and the defensive plays well enough, our speed will give them fits and alot of pressure on Belfour will eventually crack him. I don't think the Habs should be written off. They had one of the best records in the second half and well they remind me of the Ducks from last year.

You know 2 vs 7, heavy favoured veteran team vs underdog young team with great goaltending. Four game sweep. If anyone has the potential to be this years Giguere, it's Theodore.

Can you imagine the reaction from Laff land if the Habs ever did beat the Leafs? Suicides would go up.

[Edited on 2004/4/4 by Leafs Suck]