Line-up I'd like to see in Oct.

Amen, the LAST thing this team needs is underacieving veterans who are looking for a new location to get there game back. The habs have too many of those right now.

If they could get rid of Kovalev, Samsonov, Dandenault and Bouillon I would be very happy.

I don't care who they get as long as they hustle.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but i can dream of a team without a 4.5 million dollar slug. Who really hasn't done anything in about 5 years.

BG got rid of Theo.

yes, he did, and for that we're very grateful, but at the same time, Theo had only been sucking for less than a year at the time, and you could point to all his off-ice distractions as a reason why if you were another team that was willing to take a chance on him. Kovy's sucked for a while now, like you said, and the other GM's might be savvy to BG's dumping of slugs now because of the Theo situation...

I would love to dream of the same thing, like you, but I don't think we're going to manage to lose Kovy... Too much money, too little effort, too little results...

Samsonov-Koivu-Kostitsyn

Latendresse-Zubrus-Kovalev

Higgins-Plekanec-Ryder

Begin-Lapierre-Walker

Markov-Komisarek

Cote-Streit

Jorges-Dandenault

Bouillon

You gotta capitalize on your opportunities man.

If you're gonna sign Walker, you may as well use him to take Samsonov's spot on the roster.

If you're gonna let Souray go, you may as well use the money on a bigger name than Zubrus/Walker.

And that D corpse would be awful. The bottom 4 (+ Bouillon makes 5) is just abysmal. If you can replace Cote with a good UFA then you've gotta jump on the opportunity.

Amen, the LAST thing this team needs is underacieving veterans who are looking for a new location to get there game back. The habs have too many of those right now.

If they could get rid of Kovalev, Samsonov, Dandenault and Bouillon I would be very happy.

I don't care who they get as long as they hustle.

So lets fill the team with talentless 3rd and 4th liners.

It is tough to find talented players who are always going to hustle Higgins appears to be one and hopefully Latendresse another but every good teams has talented players who dont show up for a few games. Or have an off year.

Edited by JMMR

He hasn't been mean or driving to the net since that incident, even that year he wasn't driving to the net (though he was obviously still mean). He's incredibly lazy. Moreso than Kovalev if you ask me.

Yeah, there's that too.

You gotta capitalize on your opportunities man.

If you're gonna sign Walker, you may as well use him to take Samsonov's spot on the roster.

If you're gonna let Souray go, you may as well use the money on a bigger name than Zubrus/Walker.

And that D corpse would be awful. The bottom 4 (+ Bouillon makes 5) is just abysmal. If you can replace Cote with a good UFA then you've gotta jump on the opportunity.

I see Walker as an upgrade for Johnson, who I always thought would have been best used on the fourth line. Samsonov still has a year, and rather than give up on him and pay a penalty for doing so, we should give him a chance. He played well at times this season, but was punished even after doing so. Giving him another shot, a legit one, will also send a message to Kovalev that this is a team and that anytime Carbo does anything to him, it isn't because he isn't part of the team, it's because he's letting his team down. If that's done, it'll also give the players more respect for their coach, making his job much easier.

As for the D, they aren't as bad as they seem. I firmly believe that Streit will be even better next year than he was this year, and the increased speed of the D will more than make up for Souray's physical presence. Not filling up to the cap means that next year, Montreal can make an impact trade or even two at the deadline. I would of course take Timmonen, but he's not going to leave Nashville, not a chance in hell. None of the other free agents are worth the while and Souray would probably break the bank to keep.

I see Walker as an upgrade for Johnson, who I always thought would have been best used on the fourth line. Samsonov still has a year, and rather than give up on him and pay a penalty for doing so, we should give him a chance. He played well at times this season, but was punished even after doing so. Giving him another shot, a legit one, will also send a message to Kovalev that this is a team and that anytime Carbo does anything to him, it isn't because he isn't part of the team, it's because he's letting his team down. If that's done, it'll also give the players more respect for their coach, making his job much easier.

As for the D, they aren't as bad as they seem. I firmly believe that Streit will be even better next year than he was this year, and the increased speed of the D will more than make up for Souray's physical presence. Not filling up to the cap means that next year, Montreal can make an impact trade or even two at the deadline. I would of course take Timmonen, but he's not going to leave Nashville, not a chance in hell. None of the other free agents are worth the while and Souray would probably break the bank to keep.

As someone mentioned already, I'd like to see a line of Sammy-Koivu-#### next year. Samsonov never got a chance to play with Koivu and I think they would compliment each other well.

As someone mentioned already, I'd like to see a line of Sammy-Koivu-#### next year. Samsonov never got a chance to play with Koivu and I think they would compliment each other well.
Kostitsyn would be what makes it a line though. Samy-Koivu would work well together, but Kostitsyn is the only right winger we have who will go the net (plus he has the skill and speed to keep up with the other two). Kovalev is a perimeter player, like Samsonov, and Ryder sets up in the slot. The only other option to make those two work together would be to move Lats back to RW, but that would force Kostitsyn to play off-wing so it's not really viable.

Samsonov is a good player who can help us out. I just don't want him on the team and Carbonneau doesn't either. Nor does Samsonov want to be here. So what's the point? It was already confirmed (by Sammy's agent) that Gainey is actively shopping him and wants him out by next season and he thinks something is going to get done soon. If not, Samsonov will be bought out - it would be the classy thing for Gainey to do. Why would he want a player who doesn't want to play here, anyway?

No need for that problem, and it's not like Samsonov is untradeable. Trust me there will be atleast a couple of teams with interest in a 28 year old "star" coming off of a single bad season.

Besides, Walker wouldn't be a bad linemate for Koivu, if you want him that badly.

I want Walker to give us the best fourth line in the league. 3 offensive lines and one great checking line. If Gainey can manage to trade Samsonov, sure why not, but a buyout is a waste. It'd be better to clean the slate with Samsonov and give him a chance with the best players we have available. He'll push himself.

But Carbo seems unwilling to play him - now THAT is a waste. Paying the entire salary for an injury fill in. Last year he didn't even fill in for injuries, we used AHL call-ups ahead of him. There is just no sense keeping him for our sake or his.

But Carbo seems unwilling to play him - now THAT is a waste. Paying the entire salary for an injury fill in. Last year he didn't even fill in for injuries, we used AHL call-ups ahead of him. There is just no sense keeping him for our sake or his.

Samsonov is a jerk and he's out of Montréal at all cost. I think the possibility of paying his whole salary and let him in the stands would please me. What a disgracefull thing he made crying on the news...2 times !!!

Samsonov is a jerk and he's out of Montréal at all cost.

I think the possibility of paying his whole salary and let him in the stands would please me.

Those 2 sentences say exact opposites. Do you want him gone or not?

Remember, that benching a guy like Samsonov like that, means even less players will want to come to Montreal.

Here's my lineup

???? Koivu Ryder

Higgins Plekanec Kostitsyn

Latendresse ???? Kovalev

Begin Lapierre ????

(Streit, Rookie)

Markov Komisarek

???? ?????

Boullion Dandenault

(Gorges, O'Byrne)

I think there are something like 5 opens slot on the roster, plus a couple of spots the organizaion will reserve for rookies (at least by season's end, like Lapierre last season). Guys like Souray, Bonk or Johnson could come back and fill slots. Guys like Chipchura, Grabovski or O'Byrne could earn one out of camp.

I would guess almost certainly BG will bring in one new F and one new D, either through trade or signing. If Boullion or Dandenault have a lousy camp their job could (should?) be on the line too. Gorges played regular minutes on the wrong side for SJ, who were a better team than we were, so I'll be a bit surprised if he doesn't crack the

Man....wouldn't Selanne look good with the CH on his chest and Saku at his center?? Thats my wet dream for next season...you can't buy that kind of chemistry (oh wait...YOU CAN).

Latendress - Koivu - Selanne

Higgs - Pleks - Kost

Johnson - Chips - Ryder/Kovy (Get rid of one through a trade)

Begin/Milroy - Grabs - Lapierre (energy line)

Morkov - Komi

??? - Georges

Bouillon - Dandy

Huet - Halak/Price (I think it may be worth giving price 1-2 games next season)

Walker is NOT a 4th liner...neither is Johnson.

Why would you pay a guy what these guys will earn to play on the 4th line??????

Walker can put up 60 points a year, plays with grit, can hold his own in a fight, is strong on the puck and a solid 2 way player.

<sarcasm>Yeah, let's put him on the 4th line so he can get 6-9 minutes a game. </sarcasm>

Walker is the perfect compliment to Pleks and another young LW on our 3rd line...

I agree that he is an upgrade over Johnson and you wouldn't want both on the team at the same time IMHO.

If you want a guy who has grit, can really throw the body, and can pot goals.. Why not give Scott Gomez's agent a call up? I know the Habs are gunning for Briere, but Gomez has it all in him. I really liked his hustle against Ottawa in this years playoffs....the guy never took one shift off, and never gave up on a single play. Not sure what all this buzz about Scott Walker is, but here is a comparison. Walker recorded 51 points in 81 games, while Gomez recorded 60 points in 72 games. Walker is 5' 10, 196...Gomez is 5'11, 200. Can I get a number cruncher for salaries here? Not too sure how much of a difference there is. IMO, i think the Canadiens have too many players who are 3rd and 4th line NHL ready, with too many coming up in Hamilton. Why not use that cap money and go gunning for a solid 1st or 2nd Line player, and promote a hard working player who had a good season to the 2nd line? Instead of trying to find the "bargains" on the market?

Walker is NOT a 4th liner...neither is Johnson.

Why would you pay a guy what these guys will earn to play on the 4th line??????

Walker can put up 60 points a year, plays with grit, can hold his own in a fight, is strong on the puck and a solid 2 way player.

<sarcasm>Yeah, let's put him on the 4th line so he can get 6-9 minutes a game. </sarcasm>

Walker is the perfect compliment to Pleks and another young LW on our 3rd line...

I agree that he is an upgrade over Johnson and you wouldn't want both on the team at the same time IMHO.

Roll four lines. 4th is defensive line which lines up against opponents top offensive line... goes like this:

Habs vs Whoever

4th 1st

1st 3rd

2nd 2nd

3rd 4th

Here's a sample of what could have been done with the lineup we had at the start of this year (I made an exception for Lapierre):

1st Samsonov-Koivu-Ryder

2nd Higgins-Plekanec-Perezhogin

3rd Latendresse-Lapierre-Kovalev

4th Begin-Bonk-Johnson

4th plays the role that the 3rd (Perez-Bonk-Johnson) played this year, and the rest of the lines just go 40 secs one after another (it doesn't even matter which one you want to call the first line, the opponent can call whichever one it matches it's checking line against that), with different combinations for special teams. Now the reason for Walker in particular... what makes a good checking line isn't pure defense otherwise Garth Murray would be playing against the top line every night. A good checking line has to be able to play 2 ways. It has to play perfect positional hockey (like Bonk and Johnson... and Bulis... also Pleks) and be able to convert on the opportunities created by their defense. That way they make the offensive line work in their defensive zone, wearing them out as well as keeping the puck away from out net.

*actually I don't like this combination at all... I wouldn't want to see Ryder and Samsonov play on the same line... they are both floaters (unless next years Ryder is the Ryder we saw in the last game... in that case he's good for 60 goals no matter who he plays with) so switch Ryder and Perez.

Why not use that cap money and go gunning for a solid 1st or 2nd Line player, and promote a hard working player who had a good season to the 2nd line? Instead of trying to find the "bargains" on the market?
Did you forget we have to sign our D as well? Edited by revin5

Well all these look great on paper and EA sports but these time have to play they will continue to get bombed.

The Habs need size, grit and hard working players. The formula has been the same for decades, 2 offensive lines, checking grinding line, and a energy tough guy line. All the top teams are built like this or very similar.

Plus the Habs current D is bottom 5 in the league. Until that changes there won't be much playoff action.

Carbo and Gainey are making these changes, it's just taking a while to rid themselves of lazy, unproductive players.

Youth will be served soon enough.

Those 2 sentences say exact opposites. Do you want him gone or not?

Remember, that benching a guy like Samsonov like that, means even less players will want to come to Montreal.

the 2nd sentence about paying samsonov and bench him was more a joke than a wish... it remains that : this guy got to go quickly.