Another STM strike ?

rafikz

So they make 50 000$ a year, roughly 71 000$ including their benefits, and still want to go on strike for a 2% raise?

Good thing an engineer makes about that fresh out of school for a quick comparison.

damn 71k.

my mom doesn't even make that and she's a school teacher.

But of course she can't strike because its 'illegal'

That's always pissed me off. Everybody else can strike but the teachers can't.

neither can we !! and I'm far from making 71K

makes no sense at all.

you don't say !!! *crying*

mind you if I make bachelor degree I will earn that kind of cash sometimes in my career

true.

my mom's working on her masters plus 30 then she gets a pay raise.

good for her

can'T get enough education

I guess I'm turning this into the 'strike' thread:

Canadian Pacific workers start strike

Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. track maintenance workers went on strike at midnight Mountain time, a move that could disrupt shipments.

About 3,200 workers are striking over pensions and benefits. Union representatives didn't immediately return calls seeking comment.

The Teamsters' division argues that Calgary-based CPR isn't budging enough over wages, benefits, seniority, work rules and safety.

In a letter to employees yesterday, the railway's chief executive Fred Green countered that the railway is offering “significant improvements in pension and benefits.”

http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/st...ry/robNews/home

0516cprail_188.jpg

a train near banff and lake louise in 2001 file photo

Edited by Pierre the Great

• 2 weeks later...

I hated working for a union. First year they took 6 bucks from me every week for a wage that any nonunionized store would still offer. Next two years they took 13 bucks from me every week to pay for a strike out in Colorado. The strike was a bust and they ended up giving in and gaining nothing. So they took all that money for nothing.

I hated working for a union. First year they took 6 bucks from me every week for a wage that any nonunionized store would still offer. Next two years they took 13 bucks from me every week to pay for a strike out in Colorado. The strike was a bust and they ended up giving in and gaining nothing. So they took all that money for nothing.

it all depends in the field of work.

I used to work in a hotel and I hated the union but now that I work in an hospital, I aknowledge the use of a union. we work with people's lives and sometimes te suits and ties seem to forget about that so I guess my union helps against stupid decisions they could make.

Yeah, I'll probably appreciate them more once I get a full time teaching position and get into the teacher's union.

oh for sure. it could be a pain in the butt when you start but in a few years you will appreciate it.

Oh they are a life saver. My mom for the first time in 30 years had to call in the union for support after two parents started brawling over their kids in grade 1 with verbal threats of legal action against my mother.

They just needed a rep to talk to to sort it out because both parents were logger headed fools.

Edited by Pierre the Great