HW Tennis Fanatics

Fanpuck33

Wimbeldon's final game was so great, i still can't believe what I saw ! :clap: to Nadal :clap: to Federer !!!

At least you saw something, you should ask Pierce what he saw :D

Yeah, an unbelievable match. I think Federer may be done winning majors, just a feeling I have.

Because he lost one game he shouldnt have lost?? He just didnt play his normal level. He'll be back....

Predictable people thinking now he's done!

Its kinda Hilarious, 1st thing Pierce said after the match: Now people will think Federer will be done!

Your getting to predictable!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he lost one game he shouldnt have lost?? He just didnt play his normal level. He'll be back....

Predictable people thinking now he's done!

Not because of one game, but because Nadal has now officially passed him on grass, Federer's best surface. Roger hasn't been close to his dominant self this year, I think his game is starting to decline, while Nadal's is still on its way up. I don't think it's predictable, I feel I'm in the vast minority on this. It's just a feeling I have.

Nadal played an awesome game, but come on people Federer had 52 unforced errors. All those base lines that were uncharacteristically wide. Either he's in a funk, which is what I think it is. Or he's the Bjorn Borg of our generation and is so great, he's just spent.

I think its more of A and not B here. Federer still hasn't won the French and the only person who can most likely beat Nadal on clay is Federer. Golf wishes it had a rivalry like this in Tennis. Then again Americans still won't watch, because of xenophobia and jinogism. Its got to be an American at number 1 for Americans to care. Yeah Americans all remember Borg because we had Connors and Mac, Americans cannot defend my train of thought here, its the truth. If Tiger Woods was Canadian, French or Swedish, we wouldn't give a shit.

Also, its not a black-white issue, as my dad thinks Tennis needs a Tiger Woods for Americans (he doesn't know about James Blake). If this were the case, everyone in the U.S. would be going nuts over Lewis Hamilton, but nobody cares because he's British. This is the sad truth its pathetic. Oh we all became Tour de France fans when Lance was winning, now who cares? Nobody. We fickle band of nationalists, only rooting if they were born in the U.S., yet we wonder why the world thinks we're so narrow minded. Its our culture I guess. Our culture of narrow minded thinking, the culture of Me and the culture of America first.

Edited by Pierre the Great

Not because of one game, but because Nadal has now officially passed him on grass, Federer's best surface. Roger hasn't been close to his dominant self this year, I think his game is starting to decline, while Nadal's is still on its way up. I don't think it's predictable, I feel I'm in the vast minority on this. It's just a feeling I have.

I can see that, but im not convinced. I think Federer hasnt been himself lately, you could see it on his play...its not like he started playing a bit worse and a bit worse and a bit worse. He wasnt declining. He's just bad (as bad as you can call that, he's still one of the greatest), as you compare it to his normal play. Its just a huge difference...there has to be something, you dont get that much worse in a couple of months. So he can improve, and be a factor in this tennisworld.

He's got something to prove and he will...Nadal was just on top of his game, its not like he's improving very much, he was just in the best shape!

The politics in this thread stop now.

Uhm did you not watch PTI, Around the Horn, Jim Rome, Sportscenter. They all said the same thing over and over again. Americans aren't interested because Americans aren't in it. Another great example, my local station cut the match at the 5th set to go to a baseball game. No apology and then said, 'well nobody was watching anyway'.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I went to the Rogers Cup on wednesday for the first time. Catch the Gonzalez - Haas game. Unfortunately, Haas gave up after the first set. But I had the chance to go there for free, one of my friends working for the Cup. Had to lunch and drink for free as well in a VIP salon.

I've been and played and watch on tv many sports (hockey, golf, baseball, football, tennis). But I have to admit that professional tennis is from far the sport where the difference between watching on tv and be there live is the biggest. Can't even believe how good they are and how powerful are their shots.

• 1 month later...

Del Potro - Federer going for 5 sets RIGHT NOW !!!!

Never seen a classless crowd like this one though... Edit : In a tennis game...

Edited by JoeLassister

• 9 months later...

That's absolutely insane. I've never heard of a tennis match taking that long before. :wacko:

Just the last SET is longer than any previous MATCH ever took. That's bonkers. At least I think that's what I heard...

Took 3 days to complete, too. First three sets and part of the 4th were on Tuesday. The rest of the 4th and 118 games of the 5th went Wednesday. The final 20 games of the 5th were today.

70-68. That's 11 full sets with tiebreaks. And that was just the 5th set. 3 full 5 setters. The 5th set is equivelant to an OT period, really a match in regulation is 4 sets if you think of it like that.

In that sense, they played close to 4 regulation games. That's like scoring the winning goal in the 12th OT period. Or a ball game being won in the the 34th or 35th inning.

Poor Isner had nothing left for today's match. Too bad.

was written in the sky that the winner would get kicked by the fresh guy...