The center solution might lie within

alexstream

We're all mentionning Chris Drury as a possible sign up this summer...

Since the first time I saw Chris Higgins, I've always compared him to Drury...

Why not put Higgins back at center and get our efforts elsewhere?

Higgins was a center until 2 years ago,when they asked him to play the wing in Hamilton.

Higgins would be a very good 1A 1B center with Koivu being the other...

he's obviously not playing center for a reason.

The team must think that his speed is better utilized playing wing.

We're all mentionning Chris Drury as a possible sign up this summer...

Since the first time I saw Chris Higgins, I've always compared him to Drury...

Why not put Higgins back at center and get our efforts elsewhere?

Higgins was a center until 2 years ago,when they asked him to play the wing in Hamilton.

Higgins would be a very good 1A 1B center with Koivu being the other...

I mentioned htis in the "line up for October thread" but Chris has astutely pointed out that the best line for the team for the last two months was Higgins Plex Kosty, so why break them up. Then again, maybe that same line would work with Grabovsky Plex Kosty, and Higgins would be free to play centre. Mind you, then we're playing Higgisn on the third line, or that line (Grabs Plex Kosty) becomes our third, which doesn't really make sense.

I guess the reason I don't think Higgs will be the Centre is because "who would he be centering?". The Higgs Plex Kosty line already works with Plex at center, so why mess with a good thing. I guess we could try instead: Grabs Higgins Kosty, and move plex to the third line??? All stuff I'd be willing to try out in Training camp and see how it works out...

If we can utilize a center from within our current system great. But why was it not done before? What we need is a true #1 Center. That can be the pivot for our best scoring line in any game. This will take loads of dollars to attract the appropriate talent and we may need to give up a few key young players to make the deal happen. Needless to say, we need to get a true #1 center and I don't see that happening in the UFA market; so that leads to only one alternative a trade involving our young kids for an established proven performer. Oh ya, the most important aspect of this deal will need to be the players approval. He must truely want to come to montreal. So this is not an easy task and I'd give money to know how Gainey would accomplish this impossible task.

I agree that I don't think it will happen. With all the trouble we had this last season with lack of production out of the 2nd line center, they surely would have tried Higgins back at his old position if he and/or the staff felt it was good for the team.

If we can utilize a center from within our current system great. But why was it not done before? What we need is a true #1 Center. That can be the pivot for our best scoring line in any game. This will take loads of dollars to attract the appropriate talent and we may need to give up a few key young players to make the deal happen. Needless to say, we need to get a true #1 center and I don't see that happening in the UFA market; so that leads to only one alternative a trade involving our young kids for an established proven performer. Oh ya, the most important aspect of this deal will need to be the players approval. He must truely want to come to montreal. So this is not an easy task and I'd give money to know how Gainey would accomplish this impossible task.

Brad Richards?

I mentioned htis in the "line up for October thread" but Chris has astutely pointed out that the best line for the team for the last two months was Higgins Plex Kosty, so why break them up. Then again, maybe that same line would work with Grabovsky Plex Kosty, and Higgins would be free to play centre. Mind you, then we're playing Higgisn on the third line, or that line (Grabs Plex Kosty) becomes our third, which doesn't really make sense.

I guess the reason I don't think Higgs will be the Centre is because "who would he be centering?". The Higgs Plex Kosty line already works with Plex at center, so why mess with a good thing. I guess we could try instead: Grabs Higgins Kosty, and move plex to the third line??? All stuff I'd be willing to try out in Training camp and see how it works out...

if, say, Kost and Kov are on the 1st line (all the "best" players together)

then Ryder and Lats can play on the 2nd

Plek centering the 3rd (I prefer Plek on the 3rd... he still brings decent offense from there)

yes if we don't get a top UFA in the off season. STILL NO DOUBT HAMILTON BDOGS NEXT SEASON WONT BE THE SAME!

I agree with it ..but for the Habs thats a plan B ... an idea which I am quite fond of mind you... for like many of you here I believe in playing with the kids we got.

the depth we have should satisfy the principal requiremnents to fill in the third and fourth lines amply:

Chipchura Lapierre Pleks (centre position)

The wingers are plenty and no surprise to any here so no need to describe. And the internal UFA's Johnson & Bonk if they are still sticking around would fill in any desperate gaps, if not plenty of Johnsons and Bonks are out there to sign.

the top two lines remain the topic of interest. There is no doubt in my mind that UFA's will be available.. the point is if there are any (top impact UFA) for this role and if not, are the Habs willing to risk with a bunch of mediocre but highly gambling one year deals with mediocre history players.

The true question remains is the youth in Hamilton plenty and ready enough to risk filling the top ranks (in a desperate but economical and enriching process for the youth and Habs) for the next season should the Habs find there are no real solution in UFA's to play along Kovalev and Koivu. (those two are playing next season no doubt) But we promised Kovy some help if not he's out. and the alternative trading those Youths will also imply getting the top quality up front

So all in all I have complete faith that next season the prospects are totaly going to shape the Habs roster either with filling it themselves or be part of a trade to get something back! NO doubt

They are NOT going to be traded for vets. BG has already said so and i'm sure he has had numerous offers for them.

Higgins is NOT moving to center. He is already the best LW the habs have. Lats is playing the wrong wing.

Youth Will fill the spots vacated by small moves over the summer, not resigning Bonk, the D and possibly not signing Johnson.

I'll also bet there is NO saviour UFA coming to town.

Sorry the "youth"

Yep, i still don't know why people don't think Pleks is good.

I'll say it one more time, Higgins Pleks Kosty were the players down the stretch doing the damage. (obviously the PP was good). They have great speed, play in all 3 zones and they all specialize in something a little different. Which will make them very dangerous next year.

Yep, i still don't know why people don't think Pleks is good.

I'll say it one more time, Higgins Pleks Kosty were the players down the stretch doing the damage. (obviously the PP was good). They have great speed, play in all 3 zones and they all specialize in something a little different. Which will make them very dangerous next year.

Agreed. I loved that line and they seemed to have great chemistry, so I'd really rather not break it up.

Pleks was great relative to the rest of the habs. Even at his peak he was not scoring like a real top center should. He also didn't do it consistently.

Neither Higgins nor Pleks are as good as Koivu, and Koivu is not a true number one center. The solution is to get a guy BETTER then Koivu and have Koivu as the second line center. Pleks replaces Bonk as the third line guy, and now we have a team with decent production and dangerous lines.

Koivu and Pleks was last years team and they didn't make the playoffs. We need major improvement in this area.

i am sorry to tell you but the habs have nobody on the dogs ready for 1st or 2nd line duty. i am from hamilton and have seen over 15 home games plus the playoffs and trust me they have gone for a goaltending ride with all three of danis halak and now price. only dan janko is ready absolutley nobody else on defence.

on the offence our best talent ready for the bigtime is matt d'agosti. grabo is not ready at all for full time duty. he looks average out there without kostitsyn. seriously he has done nothing . he is small and gets knocked off the puck by everyone. dont get me wrong he has so much talent. i just think he needs another year. locke and milroy are simply ahlers.

chipcura is our best overall 2 way player. he scores timely goals but i think he needs another year also. especially if we want to contend

we only have three studs in our system right now............Price, sergei Kosty, and emelin

emelin is really good and definetly ready.... sergei is a london boy who everyone said rode the wave of perry and shremp, now he's riding kane and gagner??? could it be that they were riding him !! however, KANE is very gifted.

finally price. he is the reason the dogs are clicking he is the calmest of goalies out there. i watch them play at home and it looks like he doesnt belong. even at 19 yrs of age. he has what we have been craving for since the early 90's.....................patrick roy calibre goaltending. the bulldogs are a great team key word being team with allstar netminders Danis, Halak and now price and this is the kety factor in their calder cup run. timely goals and nhl all-star calibre goaltending.

We can look to plug holes from within but if we are going to give koivu a contender we need to compete with studs in our line up and putting rookie kids out there to log serious minutes isnt gonna get us there. we need a gifted winger for koivu and ryder(teemu selanne) and 2 defenders. hopefully schnieder and danny markov.maybe emelin if he comes.

we only have 1 roster spot available for a kid if we want to contend.

remember: lats/ lapierre/ are sophmores

higgins/ pleks/ streit are going on 3 yrs and ryder/ komi on their fourth

and kostitsyn/ halak are still basically rookies

Thats 9 players

when you get a big shift like this in experiance you end up missing out on playoff births due to the learning curve.

Quick reality check -- we are, like many fans, prone to overestimating our young talent. A coupla seasons back you couldn't drop a puck without it landing on the toe of someone singing the praises of Perez, five years ago it was the same with Ribs. Drury is proven and that makes a difference.

They are NOT going to be traded for vets. BG has already said so and i'm sure he has had numerous offers for them.

Higgins is NOT moving to center. He is already the best LW the habs have. Lats is playing the wrong wing.

Youth Will fill the spots vacated by small moves over the summer, not resigning Bonk, the D and possibly not signing Johnson.

I'll also bet there is NO saviour UFA coming to town.

Sorry the "youth"

I wouldn't bet on it either A UFA saviour thats why the kids are gonna eb traded regardless what Gainey said past seasons... the habs have too many young-lings and there is no way they will be able to keep them all so again IF no UFA of descent quality are found either they stick the kids up or trade as sweeteners to get the vets the team needs!

finally some sense. we need proven studs. we cant have a full line up 1st 2nd and 3rd year players and also contend for the cup.

you need balance. youth experience grit speed flare and balls

What is up with all this "stud" terminology around here recently? Do we all know what a stud it? A stud is a horse that was formerly great at competition or racing, but that now no longer does anything aside for mating. A stud is also used for a guy who gets a lot of female action. Or it is something you stick in to your ear or leather jacket.

Maybe what we need is a proven player/center etc. But unless we are wanting to mate some formerly good players, and hope that they will become great hockey players withing the next 20 years, then I really don't get this stud thing. Anyway, whatever works for y'all!

I hope we do get a legitimate #1 center ... that would really solve a serious issue. Koivu as a #2 would be awesome. Also, getting some of our D prospects over here is a must.

And maybe trading either Huet or Halak for something good .... hmmm ... I hope this offseason is productive.

What about teach Sheldon Souray how to play offense and put him as a winger. A crazy slapshot is even craziest from the slut than the blue line... and in front of the net he would be hot! LOL

What about teach Sheldon Souray how to play offense and put him as a winger. A crazy slapshot is even craziest from the slut than the blue line... and in front of the net he would be hot! LOL

Shouldn't this be in that other thread? ;)

Souray is for sure our best LW... problem is, he doesn't know it and pretends to be a LD.

What is up with all this "stud" terminology around here recently? Do we all know what a stud it? A stud is a horse that was formerly great at competition or racing, but that now no longer does anything aside for mating. A stud is also used for a guy who gets a lot of female action. Or it is something you stick in to your ear or leather jacket.

You can also put studs in your nose. ;)