Official UFA Signing Thread

Mr. Nasty

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously he would want a good situation, but sometimes pure necessity overrrules that. If you look at the career of Maxime Ouellet (who dropped off the map after last year), you'll see that the career of an unproven goaltender can fall apart in an instant.

Well, I suppose Los Angeles is not entirely out of the question - he didn't play badly there last season. Teams like New Jersey and Vancouver do need backups. Florida is all set now. Phoenix needs a starter.

What it comes down to is that Garon is not a proven NHL starter yet, and there aren't any teams out there willing to gamble on a hypothetical starter. Another drawback is that there are several lower level NHL goaltenders out there, .e.g. the not willing to be a backup, but not a solid starter type (such as Curtis Joseph, Garon, David Aebischer and Alexander Auld).

Certainly in Phoenix they desperately need a starting goaltender, but I've heard endlessly in the papers that Martin Gerber or Ilya Bryzgalov is headed there. Possibly they might turn to Garon and give him a shot, but theoretically they could sign Ed Belfour, David Aebischer or Alexander Auld and give one of them a shot, too.

As well, Phoenix already has a similar level goaltender in Mikael Tellqvist. They would probably be more interested in less of a risk in net, or not if a risk (since Gerber certainly is one), they'd want at least a goalie's who proven he can handle the workload.

I don't think Garon is going to stay in LA. We have our masks made by the same person and the guy who's making them told me that there was something wrong in the relationship between Mathieu and Crawford. I don't have any details on what happened between Mathieu and Crawford but I think it's over between the two of them. It doesn't take a genious to figure that out. I saw some Kings games this year and it was funny to see how Crawford kept starting Cloutier. Garon still has a lot of upside and is one of the best technical goaltenders in the NHL today. He played great this season against Phoenix, I think there's a possibility he could go there, but I'm runing around with the feeling he's going to sign in Pittsburg for a couple of days now. Could be a good move for him. If he signs a long term deal he's going to get his name on the Stanley Cup.. ;)

sweet little move by feaster. ouellet will thrive with the lightning. he's sure to play with another quality centerman. he'll be better than fedotenko

The Atlanta Thrashers have signed forward Eric Perrin to a two year deal worth $1.5 million.

geez, didn't know he was ufa.

don't think he'll be the same without his buddies

I guess that Pitkinen and Sanderson are on there way to Edmonton for Smith and Lupul not finalized yet though.

why the hell would edmonton want to do that ??

a finished thirdliner and an oft injured Dman( who didn't really pan out) for a foward with potential and the team captain ???

I tell ya, if the deal passes, rexall place will be burnt by tomorrow.

It was known that Lowe was looking to make a deal.

They are talking about it on TSN now.

Ek has been talking about that deal for a week. He has been pretty accurate all week...surprisingly.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

ESPN says Gomez is a Ranger.

and the Oilers Flyers deal is a done deal.

my best friend lives in edmonton. cant wait to talk to him.