Souray weighing contract offer from Habs

kaos

Well I want him just so he can follow in the lead of Bonk and Bulis and represent the B of BTH. I don't think it would be wise to pay anyone more than we're paying Markov. Or atleast more than 6M.

Will have t be Begin next year or Bouillon.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just let July 1 come around so this issue will die please.

you wish....

:rolleyes:

They will be here in droves to bash them if he walks and they will be here in like numbers to condemn them for signing him.

I can hear them already!

'We lost him for nothing when we could have traded him for something...'

or....

'Oh we paid far too much for his sorry defence and that all knowing and all defining horrible plus/minus number that he puts up...'

and on & on & on & on Ad nauseam, to infinity & beyond - if, if , if , iffffffffff.................................... to the point I'll wish wish my aunt did have balls? :wacko:

Edited by beliveau1

Well I want him just so he can follow in the lead of Bonk and Bulis and represent the B of BTH. I don't think it would be wise to pay anyone more than we're paying Markov. Or atleast more than 6M.

so the H stands for Habs, right? but what does the T stand for?

so the H stands for Habs, right? but what does the T stand for?

He used to be Bulis the Habby, after Bulis left he became BTH.

Souray will likely take that deal. Just not with us. The $15M the habs could offer is way less take home if you consider the taxes he would pay.In California however he would take home almost all of it

65% is almost all of it? His tax bracket in the US would have him pay 35% of his income.

65% is almost all of it? His tax bracket in the US would have him pay 35% of his income.

Thanks fanpuck!

How many states have 0 income tax?

I am convinced (my theory) that the Souray hold up is not money but length of contract. We have the money to overspend for 6 million. I bet that's not the problem. Being handcuffed short term by 6 million isn't that bad. I bet Souray wants money + security. The latter is the killer I believe.

Your nuts. 6 million for Souray. You can get 2 solid Dman for that. The hold up is simply money. I know alot of people beleive what Souray says. He will take the money and run.

He is no way worth 6 million.

No it isn't.

California is 10.3 percent if over $1M

Then he can file with the government for working out of country and get a large portion of the taxes he paid back.

Edited by Habitforming

No it isn't.

California is 10.3 percent if over $1M

Then he can file with the government for working out of country and get a large portion of the taxes he paid back.

Wow! that's ridiculous... let the average folk pay all the taxes and the millionaires pay barely anything...

Your nuts. 6 million for Souray. You can get 2 solid Dman for that. The hold up is simply money. I know alot of people beleive what Souray says. He will take the money and run.

He is no way worth 6 million.

Pishaw

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Wow! that's ridiculous... let the average folk pay all the taxes and the millionaires pay barely anything...

its 10.3% in state taxes, on top of the fed tax. State taxes can be partially redeemed against the federal income tax, depending on whether you hit the Alternative Minimum Tax (which Souray almost certainly would).

10.3% is California state taxes on top of the 35% federal he'd pay. Millionaires pay no taxes if they can set up corporations, but I don't think hockey players can get away with this.

10.3% is California state taxes on top of the 35% federal he'd pay. Millionaires pay no taxes if they can set up corporations, but I don't think hockey players can get away with this.

depends on what kind of corp he would set up and whether he could, for tax purposes, assign his income directly to the corp (i wonder if the CBA even allows him to do this). Even if souray were able to setup an S Corp, he would still have to pay income taxes on his salary. If he setup a C Corp, he would be in a worse tax scenario.

the advantage of setting up an S corp would be if he were able to get the corp to pay for some of his expenses without such payments being counted as wages (perhaps some of his travel, lodging, company car).

Edited by simonus
clarity

its 10.3% in state taxes, on top of the fed tax. State taxes can be partially redeemed against the federal income tax, depending on whether you hit the Alternative Minimum Tax (which Souray almost certainly would).

I see, thanks for explaining. Well then, 10.3 + 35 is over 45%... so it's not like he pays that litte in Cali then he'd pay here.

I see, thanks for explaining. Well then, 10.3 + 35 is over 45%... so it's not like he pays that litte in Cali then he'd pay here.

And he may already hate the traffic by now.

some cities also have separate income taxes (not sure if any California cities do).

But you can often deduct your state tax payments from your fed tax payments, thereby avoiding this aggregate rate. I'm sure, however that Souray would hit the Alternative Minimum Tax, which allows fewer tax loopholes, and as such would peg him around 28% in fed taxes + 10.3% in state taxes (state taxes are not deductible under the AMT). As such, he'd probably end up around 38%.

• 2 weeks later...

have you guys read the Souray fantasy dialogue with BG written by Robert L. something? which was posted on the home page?

http://wwwrealitycheckeyesontheprize.blogs...and-gainey.html

An interesting point he mentions regarding the utility of Souray in this or any team, vis a vis the length of his to be contract, will determine the type of contract Sheldon would sign on the doted line.

In other words, for example even if BoB were to offer him 7 Mil for say... only two years... its in Souray's benefit that gets the same use he got last season 'PP use' (which would tend to register in the same point category output) which would improve or guarantee him a high demand when he's a free again in two years. Yet as Robert speculates.. Sheldon Souray requires some certainty on his role and what the level of play this NEW 2007-08 Habs team will be like when the new Big guns get (if they do get) hired!

So this hypothetical dialog between the two parties envisions Souray having two main choices (not regarding the place where he lands Family wise): get a long term high valued deal and he then doesnt worry about what his use is or who he plays with. Or he gets a shorter deal but he gets some assurance what his role is and the team's (Habs or other) level of contender-ship is and possibly a security clause which would prevent him from being traded to any team that BG could deal him to.

Interesting enough. the other point mentioned again is that the Habs can't offer him 4 years like Markov got its either 3 or 5

He could get 4 but that would no doubt mean he gets traded before that period ends... and if Sheldon does want a No trade clause that gets complicated

It sure stinks tho... If Souray believes in the team wouldn't he or shouldn't he be content with say a 4 or 5 year deal with a No trade clause at 3-4 Mil a year?

if he wants more than 5 mil he is forcing Gainey to give him a shorter contract. and that's probably whats making the terms hard to agree with. But can U blame Gainey?

I thought that was a very interesting read. How much of that is true, only they know, but my hope is Souray gets resigned.

15 million for 3 years would be great.

some cities also have separate income taxes (not sure if any California cities do).

But you can often deduct your state tax payments from your fed tax payments, thereby avoiding this aggregate rate. I'm sure, however that Souray would hit the Alternative Minimum Tax, which allows fewer tax loopholes, and as such would peg him around 28% in fed taxes + 10.3% in state taxes (state taxes are not deductible under the AMT). As such, he'd probably end up around 38%.

Thank you. So, what are the taxes like in Quebec? I can't imagine they'd be much more than the nearly 40% he'd pay in California.

Thank you. So, what are the taxes like in Quebec? I can't imagine they'd be much more than the nearly 40% he'd pay in California.

The top marginal tax rate in Quebec is 48.2%, one of the highest in Canada.

I hope all of you remember Souray gets tax exemptions in Canada (not sure about US, someone clarify please) since he's from native American descent.

Apparently Souray is waiting from another offer from Bob. At this point, SOMEONE PICK UP THE PHONE ALREADY!