Theodore's Performance

Fanpuck33_

What do you guys think of his performance in the series. I didn't see game 1, but in game 2 he lost that game on a soft goal. In game 3, I thought he looked good. He was an inch away from stopping both goals, as each of them went in off his body.

On an related note, as ESPN panned across the crowd in game 3, I couldn't help but wonder if I "knew" anybody they were showing.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

What do you guys think of his performance in the series.  I didn't see game 1, but in game 2 he lost that game on a soft goal.  In game 3, I thought he looked good.  He was an inch away from stopping both goals, as each of them went in off his body.

On an related note, as ESPN panned across the crowd in game 3, I couldn't help but wonder if I "knew" anybody they were showing.

That inch is the differance between a save and a goal. Theo has sucked. Most of his goals this series have been soft.

I know I'll get bashed for this but I have never liked him as a goalie.

He had one good playoff round (against Boston) and the Habs threw cash at him. He was horrible the next season, I mean horrible. This season he was good. Not great, just good. Playoffs come and he sucks.

I want to believe in him and trust me I wish him all the luck and pray he turns it on.

The fact is he has always been an average goaltender that happened to have one brilliant playoff series.

I wish Garon played more. He is our future not Thoedore.

Remember when Garon stood on his head on that western road trip?

The guy gets overshadowed by Theodore's one time goaltending brilliance.

Again, I want Theo to do well. I love this team, always have.

Our goalie is the most important piece.

Theo sucks, always has, always will.

I know I'll take heat for this but surely I'm not alone.

:ghg:

Even if Theodore is a former Hart and Vezina this is still only his second playoff.

The game is faster and you can't blame him for being nervous. He is the most important player on the team. Every misstake he makes can cost the game.

We won't win the cup, but the experience is worth it. Support our goalie this year and he will grow by every year and game.

The fact is he has always been an average goaltender that happened to have one brilliant playoff series.  

In what way is he an average goalie? Name 1 average goalie that has a Hart Trophy and went to the All-star game.

"A brilliant series against Boston"?

He more or less took us to those playoffs two years ago on his own...he had a fantastic season that year, and there is no doubt in my mind that he can pick up that kind of play again - dunno if it will be this season though - but I sure hope so.

Last time Theo was in the playoffs, we were lucky to be in the play-offs and had nothing to lose.....this time we have a goal........:/)

[Edited on 2004/4/13 by Fletch96]

Prime Minister Koivu... You're saying some really provocative things here. We have a former Hart and Vezina and you're saying he is average?!

It's like spitting in church! If Theodore is average I would like to know who's bad and who's a good goaltender.

I take alot of heat from people about my views on Theo. I have said he sucked since day one.

That year he won the hart and vezina, he played average all season long. He then went nuts and stood on his head for the last month.

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN.......

I WANT THEO TO DO WELL.....I PRAY HE TURNS IT ON.

I honestly think he is a Lalime duplicate. He can hit a streak and be amazing but most of the time he is just average.

PROVE ME WRONG TONIGHT THEO!

OH PLEASE, PROVE ME WRONG.

:ghg:

Guest Biff Malibu

IMO, the difference between Theo and a guy like Brodeur and Hasek is the team infront of them. We have yet to see Theo backstop a solid team. Don't get me wrong the Habs are great but they are certainly not dominating like the Wings and Devils have. Wait a couple years, see what Gainey does, and then we'll see if Theo is the problem.

Theo has been great. Many teams would love to have a goalie of his calibre on their team. He's a game-breaker. You don't win the Hart, Vezina and go to the all-star game numerous times to be called an "average" goaltender.

Lets give the guy a break.

Knuble's goal didn't even fully cross the line. Murray's goal was understandable cause everyone was in such complete shock.

I believe he made 40 saves, including 15 in OT. He kept them in it. They just could not finish. Besides, if that whistle wasn't blown on Bulis, it's 4-2 Habs and the series is tied.

On ESPN, they had an overhead view and the puck did clearly cross the line completely. People complained that Theo should have grabbed the rebound, but Knible got his stick on it almost immediately, there was no time for Theo to get it. The soft goal was Slegr's goal. It did go through some legs, but it looked like Theo could see it the whole way. I would like to see the replay of the offsides, but of course ESPN only shows hits, goals, and great saves, never anything else.

Well I have to say that Theo is like a piece of paper under pressure, becomes blank and crumples!!! Theo is a butterfly goalie and he seems to have lost a few of the basic principles of goaltending.

1) Square off and know where the post is !!!

Simple yes, but I have seen him turn his side way too often and lose where the post is.

2) When shots are low and there is traffic in front of the net, you put stick down shaft end first!!

3) Never squeeze knees together too early, it opens up much more room. It is better to not instinctively close knees, but instinctively put paddle down. When I practice, I make sure that my toes are as far apart as possible to cover more net and that the paddle is covering my five-hole.

4) As a butterfly goalie, when Theo comes out to challenge a shooter, he should be playing butterfly, not stand up

Those are just a few things Theo has seemed to go blank on. Almost all the soft goals were scored because of those 4 things. The tying goal in Game 4, Garon would have stopped!!

Now before you jump on me as a Theo basher, Garon has always dropped his shaft end first!!!! On that goal Theo did a few things wrong:

1) Blade end went down first after Theo had fallen and realized where the puck was

2) Squeezed legs way too early

3) Commited way too early

4) Was too far out of his crease to prevent any traffic problems ==> Refer back to 3)

It is hard to say who do you blame, but for a fact, Theo butchered it when he was the last line of D left!!!

No one has impressed me this series from the habs, INCLUDING the GREEDY BASTARD KOVY!! Since this is a Theo performance thing, I 'll save it for elsewhere. Theo can't be blamed for where the team is, but he is part of the reason!!!

Part of me tells me Theodore is a great goalie who has what it takes to come through.

The other half of me likes Garon a whole lot more and thinks we should ride him to the cup.

I'm not sure what half to believe, but I gotta say I'd be leaning towards Garon. Every time a shot goes in on Theo my heart skips. Will he make a huge save? Will he crumble and let the CH down?

I don't know. I'm stuck here. Julien says Theo will play, so I guess we'll see him again. But if he slips we have to go with Garon.

Theo is amazing and I hate it when people bad mouth him. "Oh he's hot and cold" like going good one game and sucking in another. No! Theo is awsome, he's helped this team so much and I'm glad that he's on the Habs because I wouldn't put in any other goalie but Theo for this years playoffs. The reason for the losing is the cheap play from the Bruins and the shotty reffing!:hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo:

Originally posted by rocketrichard

Theo is amazing and I hate it when people bad mouth him. "Oh he's hot and cold" like going good one game and sucking in another. No! Theo is awsome, he's helped this team so much and I'm glad that he's on the Habs because I wouldn't put in any other goalie but Theo for this years playoffs. The reason for the losing is the cheap play from the Bruins and the shotty reffing!:hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo:

:o Are you watching the same games I am?

People had no problem bashing Kovy for doing nothing but not Theo.

Yes our D has made mistakes - that's why a goalie is needed.

The difference between a contender and the Habs is goaltending. Cup champs have a clutch save goalie. We have a guy who is letting in shots that should be routine saves. Forget the super saves, just stop the easy ones and we are up 3-1 not down 3-1.

I am going to sound like a hypocrite because I defended him in game 3, but...

Jose has looked shaky all series. He is falling over himself, literally. He cannot stand upright after he makes one stop, and it is not that he wants to go down, he just falls. It is odd to see. And his puck handling is despicable and frightening, he is a major liability in that sense. He needs to sit game 5.

On the account of Theo being the sole reason we are here, yes he is, but the point is, he has been shaky. No doubt would we be golfing right now if it weren't for him in the regular season. But even Manny Legace has been pulled in Detroit, and no doubt that if Raycroft was having the series that Theo is having, Potvin would be in. We have less resources than many teams as far as a backup goalie goes, but a change in net could revive this team. In many cases, ignorance is better than experience (look at the Preds). I think the idea of having to "protect" a rookie playoff goaltender could be beneficial. I am in no way saying Garon is better, but Theo has looked off. No, this series has not been his fault at all. Our offense was absent in games one and two, and we have outplayed the Bruins in all but one game. But he has let in soft goals, the only one that he has an excuse for was the Knuble goal last night. But he needs to take it slow, and maybe even just one period on the bench would calm him down. Who knows right now? Claude probably doesn't.

On the Bergeron OT goal in game 2...well, it was just an awful play by Breezy, he pinched and got his ass beat down the ice because of it. I believe it was Bouillion trying to stop the 2 on 1, and he obviously couldn't do it. Theo was really left out to dry on that goal, but that also seemed to be our only mishap.

Theodore is not at fault for the OT winner. I think all of us were in shock about what happened and would have been volunarble.

Theodore has let in some questionable goals yes, but he has also kept us in alot of these games.

He is the reason we're here. Most people picked us to finish dead last this year and he has proved them all wrong. He should get a nomination for the Vezina, and I would argue a nomination for the Hart. Montreal would have been toast this year without him. He might not have had the gody #'s he did in 2002, but he as equally as valueable to the Habs this time around. Should he win it? Nope, but he should get some recognition.

How many people would have guessed the Habs would have got 93 points this year? Not me, not anyone on this board. The reason they did was cause of THeodore. If they had Kovalev for the whole year, they prolly would have finished 6th or maybe even 5th.

[Edited on 2004/4/15 by Leafs Suck]

Originally posted by ricucity

On the Bergeron OT goal in game 2...well, it was just an awful play by Breezy, he pinched and got his ass beat down the ice because of it. I believe it was Bouillion trying to stop the 2 on 1, and he obviously couldn't do it. Theo was really left out to dry on that goal, but that also seemed to be our only mishap.

Huh? That was more like a 1 on 2, there were 2 men back for the Habs, and no way a clean shot from the wayyyy high slot should beat an NHL goalie, especially through him the way it went. Theo shoulda saved that. Heck, a defenseman with no pads shoulda stopped that shot.

Game 5 was the Theo we have come to know and love. The only goal was a nice passing play with a solid one-timer finish. He didn't let in any softies. If he continues playing like this, we have an excellent chance of winning the series. Keep up the great concentration Theo, never lose focus again!

:clap::hlogo::ghg::hlogo::clap: