Price may change everything....

hankhab

Yeah and Price as backup in Montreal aint very good either. He needs a lot of playing time, so 2 options. Number one in Montreal or Number one in Hamilton, i think the second one is best! And let Danis back him up...

Well said Dutchie. Price needs to play, he needs icetime.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is the org has practically given him the backup job in Montreal. After what he did for us, to put him back in Hamilton in favour of Price probably means Halak's agent having a nasty meeting with BOb.

In his end of season press conference, Gainey said Halak was the "front runner" for the #2 position, but he didn't give him the role.

Let's get things straight here: He beat out Aebischer for the job. But Aebischer is no longer in the organization, and Price now is under contract. It's a different scenario.

I still think it will be Huet/Halak with Price in Hamilton, but that can change quickly.

Danis apparently just needs a qualifying offer, he's not unrestricted? Interesting... but I doubt he has much trade value anyways. He adds a wrinkle to this whole puzzle if he's back in camp. I still think he can be a NHL goalie.

Which Huet are you talking about? the one who let the 50 foot GWG in vs Carolina in OT in playoffs 2 years ago?

or the one who got beat 6-5 (when we were leading 5-3) vs Toronto last game last season?

Huet is a solid goalie. But he's not a winner.

If Huet has value on the trade market, JUMP on it and sign a good old vet as a backup (weekes, burke, esche, tbo, cujo, noronen)

Problem is, with Gerber, Denis, one of Nabokov or Toskala, etc ALL on the market... Huet has little value... We'd be lucky to get a 2nd rounder...

SOOOOOOOOO, let's just keep him as Price backup :)

You talking about the 50 footer that was tipped top shelf after the team had given up 3 games ago anyways? or the the one who played his first game back after an injury? You make some strong points! PFFT

Huet is the best goalie we've had since Roy, he can lead the league in save percentage and yet the ungrateful here give no acknowledgment. Huet is a winning goalie on a uncaring team surrounded by dillusional fans. The guys steals us piles of games and gives us a fighting chance every night when our defense is on vacation and our offense takes coffee breaks innbetween powerplays.

Trading him for one of those nobodies would be a travesty and thinking either Price or Halak are ready for the number one is ridiculous.

*Sigh* It looks like Huet is going to have to prove it to all you unbelievers again this season.

In his end of season press conference, Gainey said Halak was the "front runner" for the #2 position, but he didn't give him the role.

I'm not disagreeing with you here saskhab. You're right on the money and bring forth many valid points in all of your posts. My concern is that Gainey allowed Halak to go to the World Championships which was perhaps a message that he is the man. Starters don't go back to the AHL, they go to the WC's. Huet would go to the WC's. NHL players go to the WC's by and large. There are exceptions but Halak going underscores that. Having said that it is true also that the Habs situation was unique.

I'm just pointing out that sending Halak back to Hamilton might be risky. I hope he doesn't go sour because if we need/choose to move him, if another GM gets a whiff of his unhappiness, his stock will fall for us.

This is going to be a conundrum for Gainey in one way or another I believe.

Best Golaie since Roy?

I beleive Theo won the hart and the vezina in the same year.

Umm.. if your on the Huet band wagon great, but he hasn't proven anything accept he is streaky and can't carry the load for long periods of time. I don't necassarily have a problem with him but he isn't an elite goalie.

Best Golaie since Roy?

Umm.. if your on the Huet band wagon great, but he hasn't proven anything accept he is streaky and can't carry the load for long periods of time. I don't necassarily have a problem with him but he isn't an elite goalie.

Haha THEO! Yeah hes a solid #1 so where is he gonna be working when Colorado buys out his contract? AHL or Burger King?

Can any single player carry the entire team for whole seasons? NO The fact we had a shot at the playoffs last year is a testement to his skill and what he gives us every night. The amount of games we won by more than one goal could be counted on one hand while taking 40-50 shots a night. He lead the league in save percentage for the longest time and he will do the same this season.

Am I on the "bandwagon"? well if it makes it easier for you to understand that I appreciate this players skill and what he brings to the team then yes sure whatever helps you sleep at night. Open your eyes and stop using scapegoats and you will find the real problems

Theo did carry carry that team to the playoffs and upset the Bruins. Yes he did do that single handidly. That team was garbage. Theo was that team the entire year. Even if you don't think so, everyone in the league that year thought so.

Theo is worthless now and i don't even really like him, but Huet NEVER had a run like Theo did that year.

Best Golaie since Roy?

Maybe OneSharpMarble is getting at the fact that both Roy and Huet are big goalies versus small Theodore.

Theo did carry carry that team to the playoffs and upset the Bruins. Yes he did do that single handidly. That team was garbage. Theo was that team the entire year. Even if you don't think so, everyone in the league that year thought so.

Theo is worthless now and i don't even really like him, but Huet NEVER had a run like Theo did that year.

Thats because Theo is streaky and Huet is stable. If I remember correctly that was the series where Koivu returned from his cancer? I think we would have beaten anyone that first round.

Part of being elite is coming in and being a rock everynight for your team, and that is what Huet is.

There is a good chance Price will play an entire year in Hamilton and unless emergency call up or trade he isn't budging from there!.. H&H (Huet and Halak) tandem is what's looking to be our goalie situation. im more interested in seeing who will second Price... Danis still gonna be there? who's next in line?

If Price is our best goalie at camp then keep him with Huet and they'll share the load. As far as I know, Halak still does not have to clear waivers to play in the AHL.

If during the season Price completely outplays Huet and proves that he is ready to be our #1 guy, trade Huet around the deadline and call up Halak. Desjardins and Danis, if we keep him, are good enough to play for the Bulldogs.

That wasn't all Theo, that was the team. We were constantly outshot that year, but the forwards and D managed to keep all the shots from the outside and let him see them. That team didn't have much going for it, but they did make sure that Jose got shots he could handle.

I'm not disagreeing with you here saskhab. You're right on the money and bring forth many valid points in all of your posts. My concern is that Gainey allowed Halak to go to the World Championships which was perhaps a message that he is the man. Starters don't go back to the AHL, they go to the WC's. Huet would go to the WC's. NHL players go to the WC's by and large. There are exceptions but Halak going underscores that. Having said that it is true also that the Habs situation was unique.

I'm just pointing out that sending Halak back to Hamilton might be risky. I hope he doesn't go sour because if we need/choose to move him, if another GM gets a whiff of his unhappiness, his stock will fall for us.

This is going to be a conundrum for Gainey in one way or another I believe.

I understand your concern, but that should not be our biggest concern. Halak still qualifies as a rookie next year, and as far as I'm concerned, no rookies are guaranteed roster spots and I think Gainey even sees it that way, even when he leaves roster spots open for them to take (hence no rookies made the team on D last year and the Ribs/Niinimaa trade was made, or back when they got Langdon and Begin because some players weren't ready). The situation with Halak/Price is unique, but luckily we found an opportunity for them both to continue their seasons into May (and June as it turned out for Price). Gainey wanted to challenge both of them. Now Price is virtually at the same level Halak was at before he got called up... both Halak and Price have dominanted in the AHL. Halak still has an edge because of his NHL experience as well as the international one, although a playoff situation is similar in many regards.

If Halak struggles in the NHL, i see no problem sending him to the AHL. Last year, Boston had a similar problem with Toivonen, who was arguably their best goalie the previous season when he was healthy, and had dominated the AHL in previous years. Luckily for us, we have a backup plan in case Halak struggles. Boston's backup plan was to play Thomas an unreasonable amount of games. We won't have to do that with Huet. If Danis comes back, we even have 3 options.

If Halak deserves to be in the NHL, he has reason to gripe if he gets demoted. If he struggles, he has to use the time available in the AHL to get back to the NHL (much like Toivonen did this past year for Boston).

I'm concerned more about development curves then agents. And believe it or not, most agents are concerned about that as well, because the better a team develops the player, the more money that player will make down the line.

plus u can't dismiss the "Price test" by this I mean how much influence on sending Halak to the WC was the fact we needed to put Price in net for the Calder cup run

You talking about the 50 footer that was tipped top shelf after the team had given up 3 games ago anyways? or the the one who played his first game back after an injury? You make some strong points! PFFT

Huet is the best goalie we've had since Roy, he can lead the league in save percentage and yet the ungrateful here give no acknowledgment. Huet is a winning goalie on a uncaring team surrounded by dillusional fans. The guys steals us piles of games and gives us a fighting chance every night when our defense is on vacation and our offense takes coffee breaks innbetween powerplays.

Trading him for one of those nobodies would be a travesty and thinking either Price or Halak are ready for the number one is ridiculous.

*Sigh* It looks like Huet is going to have to prove it to all you unbelievers again this season.

Nah, Theo was the year he won the Hart and Vezina...

Before that, Moog was better than Huet

and in between, I'd place Hackett too.

Huet is solid, point.

Nah, Theo was the year he won the Hart and Vezina...

Before that, Moog was better than Huet

and in between, I'd place Hackett too.

Huet is solid, point.

Theo was a flash in the pan and doesn't even belong in the NHL.

Moog was just an old man at the time we got him, I guess his amazing record of 18 wins and 17 losses really amazed you, or was it his .905 save percentage?

Hackett? Please, neither of these two could even carry Huets jock.

Wanna toss in some more? How about Thibault or Aebischer? :lol:

Best since Roy no doubt.

I don't think Halak being sent to the AHL is a major insult or will cause big problems. A LOT of players, goalies included, play 20 games with the big team one year, and then go back to the minors the next year; it's not that abnormal. I'll be happy if he makes the team next year; i'll be jsut as happy if he's in the AHL and Price is on the team. As long as, in the end, there's a vet goalie with whichever one of them is on the team. And I know Huet only has about 120 games in the NHL, but considering Halak + Price have ~25, Huet still knows WAY more about the NHL, and has been around longer. Even if whoever plays outplays him and he's just there with the Pompoms, I think experience and age should count for SOMETHING, and this isn't just not to be insulting to Huet that I think he shouldn't be traded: I think it's better for the team to have him, or some vet goalie (and if we're saying some vet goalie, why NOT him, since he's more than adequate, and we already have him?), around.

Anyone remember when our two goalies were Theo and Thibault??? SHUDDER. They both seemed to have great futures and be very promising, but they were what, 22 and 20???? I DON'T want two rookies with a combined age of younger than Muller as our goalie tandem... no matter HOW great they look.

Theo was a flash in the pan and doesn't even belong in the NHL.

Moog was just an old man at the time we got him, I guess his amazing record of 18 wins and 17 losses really amazed you, or was it his .905 save percentage?

Hackett? Please, neither of these two could even carry Huets jock.

Wanna toss in some more? How about Thibault or Aebischer? :lol:

Best since Roy no doubt.

I dont wanna get out my stats to prove you wrong... you have a good case since, yes, Huet has has some good stats...

but not the best since Roy... certainly not.

in 2 years would i be allowed to say that Huet was a flash in the pants? Theo was rock solid, elite status 2-3 years ago...

The fact that Huet replaced him proves nothing on how Theo WAS before... (and I don't even like theo)

Just the fact that Halak, a rookie, was better than Huet in the last stretch tells me that Huet is far from being the best...

I dont wanna get out my stats to prove you wrong... you have a good case since, yes, Huet has has some good stats...

but not the best since Roy... certainly not.

in 2 years would i be allowed to say that Huet was a flash in the pants? Theo was rock solid, elite status 2-3 years ago...

The fact that Huet replaced him proves nothing on how Theo WAS before... (and I don't even like theo)

Just the fact that Halak, a rookie, was better than Huet in the last stretch tells me that Huet is far from being the best...

If "your" stats are any different from reality than maybe you could prove me wrong. Theo was never solid, he was streaky, any shot at any time could go in with him it was always luck with that guy. If you watched his style youd know that, thats why it was only a matter of time before he crashed and burned.

Halak played on a completely different team than Huet did, this was a hungry team scoring alot more. Halak let in ALOT of damn goals but the habs were back in prejanuary form soo they still could win. He had a miserable .906 save percentage with a team lighting it up.

I will be suprised to see Huets Save% drop below this last seasons of .916 in the coming years because he is the real deal. That "certainly not" seems quit confident for someone who could only toss up a single fluke season goalie who then proceeded to fall off the earth.

BEST SINCE ROY, still stands.

If Price is our best goalie at camp then keep him with Huet and they'll share the load. As far as I know, Halak still does not have to clear waivers to play in the AHL.

If during the season Price completely outplays Huet and proves that he is ready to be our #1 guy, trade Huet around the deadline and call up Halak. Desjardins and Danis, if we keep him, are good enough to play for the Bulldogs.

I believe we also have Michael Leighton as an option for the farm as well, or is he due to become a UFA this summer?

I believe we also have Michael Leighton as an option for the farm as well, or is he due to become a UFA this summer?

I'd be surprised if he re-signed with us, even if we submitted a qualifying offer. He is a RFA. After all the travel for little work last year, I think he'll go to Europe, it might help his career more.