Price may change everything....

hankhab

I'd be surprised if he re-signed with us, even if we submitted a qualifying offer. He is a RFA. After all the travel for little work last year, I think he'll go to Europe, it might help his career more.

Ah okay, I wasn't sure if he had an expiring contract or not.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You talking about the 50 footer that was tipped top shelf after the team had given up 3 games ago anyways? or the the one who played his first game back after an injury? You make some strong points! PFFT

Huet is the best goalie we've had since Roy, he can lead the league in save percentage and yet the ungrateful here give no acknowledgment. Huet is a winning goalie on a uncaring team surrounded by dillusional fans. The guys steals us piles of games and gives us a fighting chance every night when our defense is on vacation and our offense takes coffee breaks innbetween powerplays.

Trading him for one of those nobodies would be a travesty and thinking either Price or Halak are ready for the number one is ridiculous.

*Sigh* It looks like Huet is going to have to prove it to all you unbelievers again this season.

I don't relay think Huet proved alot this year. His stats went down from last year. 19 wins 16 losses 3 OTL 2.81 GAA doesn't really impress me. He gave up 30 more goals this year than last in only 3 more games. If that is proof to you, than fine, but it doesn't work for me

Huet will still be the starter next season. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the team call up Halak or Danis to be Huet's backup, and Carey Price will start with Hamilton.

I'd like to see him up soon. I love Carey Price, and he's definitly one of my favorite players. I hope he works out here. He's a great goalie.

Edited by PasTrep03

Halak beat Abby for the backup role. Huet is still the #1 and that's why he started the last game vs the Leafs.

Price is what he is: a bluechip teenage goalie who had an incredible Calder Cup run. He's 3rd in the depth chart and he will need to beat Halak and Huet. If he can't, there's absolutely no harm in letting him have 1 full season as a starter in the AHL.

Its one thing to get hot for a playoff run; its another thing to be a starter for an entire NHL season. Especially when you just come off juniors. Look at all the big name goalies who have been picked high in recent years: Luongo, DiPietro, Lethonen, Fleury, etc. None of them became a full-fledge starter right out of junior.

Everything comes in due time. No need to rush anyone.

I just read the "Is Paying The Price in Cristobal's Crystal Ball?" article posted by Macaskill on Habsworld and I think it's time to ask how long Huet is in Montreal. The writer brought forth many valid points that really make me wonder if Huet is heading out of Montreal. What also intrigued me is the reference he wrote about a possible move with Huet and prospects to be maybe traded by October. I have to agree with the overall spirit of what the writer is getting at here. Not on the timing so much but that it is OBVIOUS that a trade of possible huge proportions is coming for BOb and the Canadiens. Not necessarily even Huet either. But it's almost crystal clear. A move is afoot

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Boy...let's not get carried away. Price has not played ONE GAME at the NHL level. People around here have referred to Theodore's MVP season as a 'flash in the pan' despite the fact that he had an excellent junior career, and then put in five years as an elite-level NHL starter, three of which were all-star calibre and one of which was MVP. If that's a 'flash in the pan,' what is Price??

Everyone should calm down. It's certainly possible that Price will wrest the #2 job from Halak and conceivably even muscle his way into a #1A role vis-a-vis Huet. It's also possible that he'll fall back a bit and require a gradual period of learning the pro game. To go from there to speculating about trading the only goalie in our organization with ANY meaningful NHL experience...hoo boy.

Incidentally, Jeff Hackett was an excellent goalie trapped on crapola teams. Don't slag him! :hlogo:

Boy...let's not get carried away. Price has not played ONE GAME at the NHL level. People around here have referred to Theodore's MVP season as a 'flash in the pan' despite the fact that he had an excellent junior career, and then put in five years as an elite-level NHL starter, three of which were all-star calibre and one of which was MVP. If that's a 'flash in the pan,' what is Price??

Everyone should calm down. It's certainly possible that Price will wrest the #2 job from Halak and conceivably even muscle his way into a #1A role vis-a-vis Huet. It's also possible that he'll fall back a bit and require a gradual period of learning the pro game. To go from there to speculating about trading the only goalie in our organization with ANY meaningful NHL experience...hoo boy.

Incidentally, Jeff Hackett was an excellent goalie trapped on crapola teams. Don't slag him! :hlogo:

Thanks CC. Some much needed sanity... I'm glad none of us armchair GM's are running the team

Edited by ShortHanded

I say Huet with Halak backing up and put Price in Hamilton and wait for a while. I figure at least another half a season in the AHL is a good idea.

My last post is not necessarily something I subscribe to or agree with. It was more of a "what if?" post based on the article.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I don't see anything else Price has to prove at the AHL level. This kid is ready for the big time. Start Price at the beginning of the year and let Huet back him up. If all goes well trade Huet at mid season for a good draft pick or some help and bring up Halak.

I don't see anything else Price has to prove at the AHL level. This kid is ready for the big time. Start Price at the beginning of the year and let Huet back him up. If all goes well trade Huet at mid season for a good draft pick or some help and bring up Halak.

patience little grasshopper... Price needs to at least start off in Hamilton and come Xmas then maybe see if Halak and Price could hold the fort

Price hasn't played a single game in the NHL and all of a sudden he is our starter? GET A GRIP.

Why do the majority of people think Price should share the load with Huet? What sense is there in totally wasting Price like that? :huh:

Bob's not dumb, and I'd be willing to put $ on we wont see Price share the load, or probably even play any NHL games in the regular season. If Price does play any regular season NHL games, they will be against Western Conference teams only.

Most of you seem to forget that Price is so young, and new to the Pro Hockey scene that none of the shooters on any team really knows anything about him. Why would Bob want to give all the teams in the NHL large exposure to Price? Price is the proverbial Ace in the hole, and why would you want to show off your Ace in the Hole? Nobody will be surprised if it's been flaunted around.

Theo was a flash in the pan and doesn't even belong in the NHL.

Moog was just an old man at the time we got him, I guess his amazing record of 18 wins and 17 losses really amazed you, or was it his .905 save percentage?

Hackett? Please, neither of these two could even carry Huets jock.

Wanna toss in some more? How about Thibault or Aebischer? :lol:

Best since Roy no doubt.

When Huet wins the MVP of the league and a playoff series, then you can annoint him better than Theo.

Huet's resume is nowhere near Theo's. 3 half season's? 1 All-Star team?

Scan the roster of the 2002/2004 Habs roster and tell me they are better than the last 2 years. Juneau, Dackell, Gilmour, Petrov, Savage, Kilger, Berezin...come on.

Theo was the MVP of the NHL and 2 TIMES took a 7/8 Seeded habs team to upsets over the Bruins.

I love how a guy that the majority of this board would not trade for Pronger in 2004 is being trashed. Amazing

When Huet wins the MVP of the league and a playoff series, then you can annoint him better than Theo.

Scan the roster of the 2002/2004 Habs roster and tell me they are better than the last 2 years. Juneau, Dackell, Gilmour, Petrov, Savage, Kilger, Berezin...come on.

Theo was the MVP of the NHL and 2 TIMES took a 7/8 Seeded habs team to upsets over the Bruins.

I love how a guy that the majority of this board would not trade for Pronger in 2004 is being trashed. Amazing

completely agree wamsley01. Though Theo has crashed and burned BIG TIME, he was, for a long time, my favourite habs, and I believe, the MVP on the team. I'm glad he and his huge contract are not our problem anymore though.

I'm having this video collection of Mathieu Garon games, and the other day I saw this game from the 2002-'03 season,

you should scan that roster..

:( :puke: ;)

I'm having this video collection of Mathieu Garon games, and the other day I saw this game from the 2002-'03 season,

you should scan that roster..

:( :puke: ;)

I know. They had a bad team and Theo was out of this world for 2 years.

Huet has not even come close to approaching that level. It is irrelevant if Theo crashed and burned.

Yeah that resume will do him well when he is shopping around the ahl looking for a backup job. Go ahead post up the rosters for the last few years or so and we will have a look. I am not gonna read too much into it because the habs havnt been any more or less impressive over the last 10 years. It always seems to be 6, 7, 8th place maybe a round or two in the playoffs. Nothing amazing here.

If memory serves me that upset began when Koivu returned from his cancer treatment and i'd say it is more about him seeing as how the team changes 180' when he shows. Theo was a flash in the pan Huet is the real deal, it amazes me how long it takes to realize it.

Yeah that resume will do him well when he is shopping around the ahl looking for a backup job. Go ahead post up the rosters for the last few years or so and we will have a look. I am not gonna read too much into it because the habs havnt been any more or less impressive over the last 10 years. It always seems to be 6, 7, 8th place maybe a round or two in the playoffs. Nothing amazing here.

If memory serves me that upset began when Koivu returned from his cancer treatment and i'd say it is more about him seeing as how the team changes 180' when he shows. Theo was a flash in the pan Huet is the real deal, it amazes me how long it takes to realize it.

Here I am making fun of you on another thread and you don't even notice :(

Give you credit for not biting :P

Here I am making fun of you on another thread and you don't even notice :(

Give you credit for not biting :P

Hah you see I generally only read threads that I have replied to, thus my complete self absorbtion protects me from such things.

I would have biten had I found these posts. ^_^

Yeah, Huet is the real deal. He has proven that he can win a playoff series, He has proven that he can take a load of more than 42 games in a season. He has proven what again?

Who cares if Theo is out of the league. The statement was that Huet is the best habs goalie since Patrick Roy.

Theo's resume WHILE WITH THE CANADIENS proves otherwise.

Theo's credentials far outweigh Huet's.

Theodore

1 Vezina, 1 Hart, 1 Crozier award, 2 playoff victories, 11 playoff wins, 2 All-Star games

Huet

1 Crozier award, 2 playoff wins, 1 All-Star game

Theodore is one of only 2 goalies in the last 45 years to win the MVP award. Not Brodeur, not Roy, not Luongo, not Fuhr. Jose Theodore.

Theodore had a +.900 SV% in 5 of his last 6 seasons in Montreal and averaged 22 Wins per year. He also posted season's of a GAA of 2.10/2.57/2.11/2.27

Huet has a 19 win season and an 18 win season in his 2 years and a 2.20 GAA and a 2.81.

And go back and watch the 2002 series with the Bruins and tell me that Theo did not win that series. He was unbelievable! Montreal won game 5 by the score 2-1 and were outshot 44-13

http://hockeynut.com/0102/playoffs2002/box...es/bosmon5.html

and then won game 6 and were outshot 35-18

http://hockeynut.com/0102/playoffs2002/box...es/bosmon6.html

So your opinion of Huet being better is exactly that .... an uninformed OPINION.

Edited by Wamsley01

Yea, what did the habs score like 12 goals in 7 games or something. Theo was on fire. On NESN they actually showed a game the in that series over the weekend, i think it was the Kovalev "dive".

My prediction by Xmas, the Price will be right for the Habs.

Yea, what did the habs score like 12 goals in 7 games or something. Theo was on fire. On NESN they actually showed a game the in that series over the weekend, i think it was the Kovalev "dive".

My prediction by Xmas, the Price will be right for the Habs.

Montreal should do what the Leafs did with Potvin back in the day.

If Price earns it in camp you start him as a backup or 1A. Then see if he can take the ball and run with it and trade Huet for an asset like the Leafs did with Fuhr if he does. Fuhr netted them Andreychuk and Potvin took the ball and almost lead them to the Finals.

It might be to much to throw him to the wolves right away. But I doubt it.

I hope your Christmas prediction is right.

Edited by Wamsley01