Can Samsonov Rebound in 07/08?

l<OV4L3V

Okay....Im sure some people on here will be calling for my head, But can Sammy step his game up this year?

I cant see anyone wanting him for his salary..Why not just keep him and put him on the second line with Plekanec and Higgins? I am totally against his crying last season, but I think if the dressing room accepts him, and Gainey gives him that much needed second chance, all will be good for him this year. Also, I think Kovalev really should play with Koivu and Ryder on Line one this season, especially if that big name centre doesn't arrive. Thoughts?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay....Im sure some people on here will be calling for my head, But can Sammy step his game up this year?

I cant see anyone wanting him for his salary..Why not just keep him and put him on the second line with Plekanec and Higgins? I am totally against his crying last season, but I think if the dressing room accepts him, and Gainey gives him that much needed second chance, all will be good for him this year. Also, I think Kovalev really should play with Koivu and Ryder on Line one this season, especially if that big name centre doesn't arrive. Thoughts?

NO!!! Higgins needs to play with Kosty and Plex. They had great chemistry and played incredibly together down the stretch. Even if we're stuck with Sammy, why should we break up a line of our young, talented players that will hopefully be together for years to come because we're stuck with a guy who didn't fit the team for one more year.

samsonov can and will rebound next season. however it won't be in a habs jersey. he will either be bought or traded at the entry draft.

He could rebound of the pavement after we kick him out of here ...

No, but seriously. I think his time is done here, but if for some strange reason he was to stick around he would have to "rebound": he couldn't go through another utterly crappy season like that unless he was signaling to the whole NHL that his career was over ...a la Theodore.

samsonov can and will rebound next season. however it won't be in a habs jersey. he will either be bought or traded at the entry draft.

This is pretty much right. He is, remember, a PROVEN NHL performer, with eight solid years under his belt before the debacle in Montreal. I think he'll get another chance elsewhere and do just fine. Which sucks, because we could use his speed, creativity, and points.

Honestly, I'd be happy if we get cookies for this guy. Give him away with a free case of beer! and mini stanley cup replica.

I don't care just get him out of here...

ok.. now that my short rant is done. Realistically. I'd be happy with him being shipped down to the minors, or kept with the big club. and given another chance but not in a manner that would prove disruptive. So he could sit and wait till an injury gives him an opening to play.

Needless to say I don't think we should buy out his contract right away. But I'm not holding all the cards. Maybe BG and Carbo have something figured out here... at least I hope they do.

yes, but not with our team... not that i dont want... but we just need different players.

I really like Samsonov, I like how he has managed to make it into the NHL at such a size. He is really fast aswell. But the problem with Sammy is he only tries when he really, really, really... wants something. He had a couple fine moments this season, but its pretty simple; Montreal cant afford under achievers at the moment. We cant take another chance.

He had great chemistry with Thornton, and Souray loved Rivet. Trade them both for Marleau and the rights for Hannan, ooh, and maybe Pavelski (as was previously rumoured), and I'll be happy.

So yes, he'd rebound, just not with us.

Maybe after this cap-raise his salary isnt that high to take a chance on anymore for the other teams. His tradevalue cant go anywhere but up at this moment so send him away for a low pick or something and wish him good luck in the western conferance (dont want to play against him to much).

As much as I was dissapointed in Samsonov this past year (more by his attitude/comments than play, everyone can have a bad season) i would still hold onto him. We have a couple of missing pieces, and while Samsonov will not be as interesting to other teams as he would've been a year and a half ago, I can see him as being part of a package in a potential trade just to make the salary cap numbers work (assuming we get back a proven NHLer pulling NHL money back). Not sure who else would be packaged in the trade on our end nor whom we'd get back, but I can see this scenario happening....

Obviously all this is incumbent on him getting a spot (which may be hard) and improving on his pitiful numbers from last year (which should not be hard). But he does have a track record of being a solid, creative player when he cares, and if he's around for the training camp he may just hold down a spot. Carbo is also a year wiser on the job and should have had enough consultations with Gainey in the offseason to be able to manage his Russian malcontent(s) a little more consistently this year.

Getting bought out is still the much likelier scenario, but you never know......

I don't know where he'd fit in. He's a great skill player, but his decisions last year were more often than not questionable, but that could could be because of who he played with. Both he and Kovalev play the same game, they like to hold the puck and get through as many defenders as possible, so he needs linemates who'll let him do that, try and make some room for him to set up, and then find the open spots to take his passes.

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of my brain, I wonder if he would play well with Ryder. He's got that great quick release, and Sammy can get the puck to him. Throw Lapierre on with those two, he'd certainly create some space down low for Sammy to move and Ryder to find shooting areas.

But I'm realistic enough to see that he just didn't fit in with the players that were here last season, and aside from a couple of spots, I don't see where he'd fit in next year either. I'd be surprised if he was at camp in September.

According to Mark Gandler, Alexei Yashin's agent, he can:

Alexei Yashin aimerait jouer à Montréal

Alexei s’entend très bien avec Andrei Markov et Alex Kovalev et je suis convaincu qu’il serait en mesure de relancer Sergei Samsonov, s’il en avait la chance. En plus, il a une bonne relation avec Saku Koivu, puisque Alexei s’est entraîné souvent à Turku, en Finlande, durant la saison morte.

He will be in a contract year and should he not do well he could be done as an NHL well at least one that makes big dollars.If Gainey had not said he would be traded or bought out I would tihnk he could return but it would have had to be after a formal apology to the team and coaches for disrtupting things a few times last year.

He will be in a contract year and should he not do well he could be done as an NHL well at least one that makes big dollars.If Gainey had not said he would be traded or bought out I would tihnk he could return but it would have had to be after a formal apology to the team and coaches for disrtupting things a few times last year.

How many appologies do we allow this guy?

In my mind you can't bring him back, to many bridges have been burnt. To many people have been POed at this guy and it is pretty obvious he doesn't want to be in Montreal.

I have no doubt that he still has a lot of skill, but it is his negative attitude that the Habs cannot afford to risk again.

You got it right with negative attitude as long as you realize that there is a difference between having a negative attitude and having an attitude problem. Samsonov isn't a bad guy, I bet even some of the classiest players would say something if they were treated the same way he was.

You got it right with negative attitude as long as you realize that there is a difference between having a negative attitude and having an attitude problem. Samsonov isn't a bad guy, I bet even some of the classiest players would say something if they were treated the same way he was.

Yep, as much as I am a Carbo fan It's clear he has alot to do with the issue.