Habs Mock Draft

montreal

One of the worst "mock drafts" out there right now. In fact it isn't even a mock draft.

A Mock draft is supposed to be specific with the players selected in a certain draft position not a "we might pick" situation. Even then, he went completely off the board with most of the picks.

Simon Hjalmarrson, Kevin Shattenkirk, and Billy Sweatt aren't even close to being first round picks by most scouting services; unless they are friends of the family somewhere.

The only place this guy will ever see a draft podium is on T.V. (unless the Leafs are hiring)

One of the worst "mock drafts" out there right now. In fact it isn't even a mock draft.

A Mock draft is supposed to be specific with the players selected in a certain draft position not a "we might pick" situation. Even then, he went completely off the board with most of the picks.

Simon Hjalmarrson, Kevin Shattenkirk, and Billy Sweatt aren't even close to being first round picks by most scouting services; unless they are friends of the family somewhere.

The only place this guy will ever see a draft podium is on T.V. (unless the Leafs are hiring)

It's a mock draft for the Habs, since they are the only team I follow, I just list some possible choices for each pick. As for going off the board, I know scouts from ISS and McKeens, I know the head scout of ISS and I was told from one scout certain players that the Habs are interested in according to Trevor Timmins.

Be a little easier on the guy, everyone is going to have different opinions on who the habs should take.

It's a mock draft for the Habs, since they are the only team I follow, I just list some possible choices for each pick. As for going off the board, I know scouts from ISS and McKeens, I know the head scout of ISS and I was told from one scout certain players that the Habs are interested in according to Trevor Timmins.

Ok, my apologies.

I shouldn't have been that hard about it.

No offence to you or your sources specifically, but I wouldn't trust McKeens to mail a letter for me (based on past experiences) let alone breakdown a prospect for my team's future.

I myself don't know anyone with ISS but I do trust them and I believe that you were told of some players the habs may want, but I think having them listed within the first round part of your mock draft when they are rated much lower hurts the credibility of it all. Especially when the Caadiens seem to always take the best player available when it is their turn to pick (even if they like someone specific)

But again as it was pointed out earlier by Habsfan88, we all have our opinions and they rarely match.

Thanks for the article.

Yeah, I think our picks, especially the 12th overall would be put to better use on a more high-potential offensive forward. But nice article though, we'll see if you get any right. I remember last year you had David Fischer on your list of guys we might pick.

Great post. Thanks very much. As for the criticisms, they don't call it a mock draft for nothing. Myself I consider it highly unlikely that the habs will actualy use these exact picks on draft day, and even if they do the odds they take ANY of these players are minimal. But if any of them do (maybe except 12), major kudos to montreal for spotting them. If they go to a team like the Leafs, Sens, Bruins, Flyers, Devils etc. then again, kudos to montreal for pointing them out. Even if none of them ever play a game in the NHL I'm happy for the heads up going into the draft and will definitely look at this post again after the draft. :D

ps- I meant montreal the poster of this thread, not the org.

Edited by Bullsmith

Well I have to say that I think it is a great article. In my experience Dann is the most knowledgable expert on Habs prospects around. He has a good track record - as BTH pointed out he had Fisher as a potential pick last year. How many other people saw that as a possibility. I am very interested in his predictions/opinions for players we might take in the first 3 rounds.

He has listed 4 potential picks for our 163rd pick. Not too many people can do that. Now probably none of those 4 will be the 163rd pick but it still gives some idea of they type of player that we might take at that point in the draft.

Thanks for the article.

I'm with you on Brett MacLean, really like that kid.

Go :hlogo: go!

The only issue I have with MacLean is that he played all year with Tavares.

Is this guy really that good or is he another Pat Falloon?

I'm thinking the Sutter kid is a BG type of player.

I also personally like the upside of Petrecki

I was tinking the same thing maybe the Habs will trade down at 22 and draft him.

HW's 4th Draft Pool is open..

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1436

Good luck everyone ;)

Here's a comparison of the most credible mock drafts I found on the Net. If someone know others, tell me. If someone has a McKeen subscription, I'd fill in the blank too :D

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1435

Edited by sakiqc

Ok, my apologies.

I shouldn't have been that hard about it.

No offence to you or your sources specifically, but I wouldn't trust McKeens to mail a letter for me (based on past experiences) let alone breakdown a prospect for my team's future.

I myself don't know anyone with ISS but I do trust them and I believe that you were told of some players the habs may want, but I think having them listed within the first round part of your mock draft when they are rated much lower hurts the credibility of it all. Especially when the Caadiens seem to always take the best player available when it is their turn to pick (even if they like someone specific)

But again as it was pointed out earlier by Habsfan88, we all have our opinions and they rarely match.

Thanks for the article.

no problem, I don't mind people expressing problems with articles I write, I've been doing it for years now so I'm used to it. I haven't paid much attention to anything McKeens does but a good contact I have is now one of their top scouts and he has direct contact with Timmins, so I at least listen to what he tells me. I've been told that the Habs likely won't gamble on Espo, that they don't like the skating of Backlund, that they really like McDonagh and Sweatt and also like Shattenkirk. There's no way for me to confirm if this is true or not, but I do trust my contact as he's given me good info over the years. Next week we'll see what happens.

The reason why I do this mock draft every year is just for fun to try and guess some guys that the Habs might be interested in for each pick but still on board. It's almost impossible to get picks right so really the article is pointless but I've gotten so many replies from the mock drafts that I keep doing it. I had Perezhogin in a draft pool with some of the guys that founded this site back when we were on the espn habs board. I had us getting Higgins over at HF (or Jim Slater or Patrick Thorensen yikes) When HF had their magazine, I did the Habs article, I had us picking Kostitsyn or Getzlaf (had to hand 2 choices) I still have my copy of the article, the only payment I got for writing it was a free copy. I had us getting Korpikoski or Graham or Kaspar but I also threw in Chipchura's name along with Mike Green as possible 1st round choices. You can read it here, http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=602 In '05 I had us getting Kopitar or Brule or Ryan or Pouliot but also said that if we trade down we could get Latendresse or Staal or Bourrett or McArdle(ouch). Never thought they would go for Price. You can read it here, http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=825 In '06 I had us getting Fischer or Summers or Giroux or Berglund. You can read it here, http://www.habprospects.com/modules.php?na...icle&sid=13

I don't expect us to end up with any of the guys I suggest, I only put out some names of guys I think the Habs would be interested in and that might be on board at the time. This years mock I have Nick Bonnino in the 6th round, but it's highly unlikely that he falls that far, some team like boston might gamble on him in the 3rd round for all I know, but I got a look at ISS's draft guide and they have him way way down.

As for Brett MacLean the head scout of ISS said he could see MacLean going much higher then people think, on a radio show he said he could go in the top 10 as teams love his finishing abilities and size but are concerned about his skating although it's not as bad as Latendresse's was in his draft year.

Sutter I would think that the Flames will be all about picking him and I just can't see us picking him at 12th. petrecki and pacioretti, I've seen both but only once. Petrecki there's concern about his hockey sense, he didn't really stand out from what I saw. Pacioretty I like and could see the Habs being interested, really hard to figure where he will go in the draft, I could see him going in the 20's, the knock I've heard is his offensive upside.

Cool Dan, very interesting your last post.

On what you heard about Esposito, Backlund, McDonagh, Sweatt and Shattenkirk, it could very well be reverse psychology :D

What's your take on Esposito? If he's available at 12, should we take him?

no problem, I don't mind people expressing problems with articles I write, I've been doing it for years now so I'm used to it. I haven't paid much attention to anything McKeens does but a good contact I have is now one of their top scouts and he has direct contact with Timmins, so I at least listen to what he tells me. I've been told that the Habs likely won't gamble on Espo, that they don't like the skating of Backlund, that they really like McDonagh and Sweatt and also like Shattenkirk. There's no way for me to confirm if this is true or not, but I do trust my contact as he's given me good info over the years. Next week we'll see what happens.

The reason why I do this mock draft every year is just for fun to try and guess some guys that the Habs might be interested in for each pick but still on board. It's almost impossible to get picks right so really the article is pointless but I've gotten so many replies from the mock drafts that I keep doing it. I had Perezhogin in a draft pool with some of the guys that founded this site back when we were on the espn habs board. I had us getting Higgins over at HF (or Jim Slater or Patrick Thorensen yikes) When HF had their magazine, I did the Habs article, I had us picking Kostitsyn or Getzlaf (had to hand 2 choices) I still have my copy of the article, the only payment I got for writing it was a free copy. I had us getting Korpikoski or Graham or Kaspar but I also threw in Chipchura's name along with Mike Green as possible 1st round choices. You can read it here, http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=602 In '05 I had us getting Kopitar or Brule or Ryan or Pouliot but also said that if we trade down we could get Latendresse or Staal or Bourrett or McArdle(ouch). Never thought they would go for Price. You can read it here, http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=825 In '06 I had us getting Fischer or Summers or Giroux or Berglund. You can read it here, http://www.habprospects.com/modules.php?na...icle&sid=13

I don't expect us to end up with any of the guys I suggest, I only put out some names of guys I think the Habs would be interested in and that might be on board at the time. This years mock I have Nick Bonnino in the 6th round, but it's highly unlikely that he falls that far, some team like boston might gamble on him in the 3rd round for all I know, but I got a look at ISS's draft guide and they have him way way down.

As for Brett MacLean the head scout of ISS said he could see MacLean going much higher then people think, on a radio show he said he could go in the top 10 as teams love his finishing abilities and size but are concerned about his skating although it's not as bad as Latendresse's was in his draft year.

Sutter I would think that the Flames will be all about picking him and I just can't see us picking him at 12th. petrecki and pacioretti, I've seen both but only once. Petrecki there's concern about his hockey sense, he didn't really stand out from what I saw. Pacioretty I like and could see the Habs being interested, really hard to figure where he will go in the draft, I could see him going in the 20's, the knock I've heard is his offensive upside.

I listed Price and Latendresse in my Prospect-us article (I did pick 14 players to run down) but it was a lottery year and I didn't know where the habs would be picking at that point. never would have thought about Price at number 5 though.

Edited by Habitforming

Thanks for the article.

I'm with you on Brett MacLean, really like that kid.

Go :hlogo: go!

To me, he seems like a Gui clone. He'd be a great pick though. Imagine them on a line together.