Gainey's summer

JoeLassister

Young Kost, Valatenko, Higgins, Komisarek, will not make offer for Bonk, Niinimaa, Aebischer, etc...

I give him a A- and waiting for Souray and/or Hannan or Brière to improve my rating.

You guys?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young Kost, Valatenko, Higgins, Komisarek, will not make offer for Bonk, Niinimaa, Aebischer, etc...

I give him a A- and waiting for Souray and/or Hannan or Brière to improve my rating.

You guys?

so far he has done an excellent job. the real test will come with the draft and ufa season, I would say a++ at this point.

He gets a B+ from me.

Pros

-Pavel V. under contract

-Higgins/Komi signed

-Samsnaov problem addressed

Cons

-Yemelin not under contract (yet)

-Souray not signed (yet)

Remaining Determining Facotrs

-Draft Day

-July 1st.

The car in my avatar is my baby. It's a 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero Turbocharged Covertible

by the way it doesn't look like we will be holding any red tag days for you :bow: :lol:

An A- is way to high a grade considering the draft and free agency are still ahead.

I would say a solid B so far.

The postives were getting rid of Samsonov and the Higgins and Komisarek deals.

The bad was having to take on Cullimore's salary. Gainey should have dealt Samsonov straight up for Salmelainen.

And the contract he gave to Markov was for way too much money. No way Markov should have got more than $5 MIllion dollars.

BUt anyways, so far so good.

The draft and who Gainey can convince to sign in Montreal is going to be the key to this offseason....and every other as well

So far he's done everything right but it's too early for this thread.

BTH is right. Mr. Gainey is just warming up.

I expect a few more things to happen, just no HUGE free agent signings.

Right now I rate him incomplete until later :hockey:

So far he's done everything right but it's too early for this thread.

well, this is why the words "so far" are in the the subtitle...

the BIG BIG dates are June 22 and July 1rts ... 1 big prospect and 1 big UFA and i give him an A+...

He's done well this past season given the hurdles he faced. The summer has been brilliant! so far. I'll give him a B+ only because he has not delivered that #1 center for me. I will wait for the UFA market and draft to further his rating. However, if this trend continues; I imagine my rating for him will increase to an A+ as well.

GO BOB GO!

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

You can't grade him on what might happen come draft day or free agency - they haven't taken place yet. In other words it doesn't take into effect what major void he has yet to fill. Big trades won't happen prior to the draft - they tend to take place in the hours leading up to it, or on draft day itself. So it's definitely not fair to grade him on the basis that he hasn't landed a number one centre or a big defenceman at this point. You don't grade a student in December based on material he won't see until February.....

Personally I'd give him a A- at this point when based on what the calender has allowed him to do so far(at worst a B+)?

- he has unloaded Samsonov and the cap hit will be significantly less as a result: money saved counts big in the cap scenario

- resigned Markov: yes it was a bit high but at what will most likely be market value come July 1st

- resigned Higgins and Komisarek to deals at realistic prices for the market

- has signed free agent Janne Lahti

- has signed Valentenko to a standard entry level contract = a good move to bring depth to the defence

- has acquired forward Ryan Russell from the New York Rangers for a seventh-round pick in this year's weak draft

- has signed the younger Kostitsyn to a deal

- has Carey Price signed to a deal

There are a couple of negatives in losing Mikus, along with Perezhogin and now apparently Emelin opting to play/stay in Russia. Those are somewhat offset though by the fact the Habs still own their rights, and the fact that it sounds like both prefer to stay at home - sometimes stuff happens that are beyond your capabilities no matter what you try. If they can retain Emelin and bring him over in a couple of years that will be great, but he isn't proven just yet to be the saviour they desire - he's still just a potential prospect? Perezhogin could also come back at some point so he's not totally lost.

Mikus it seems is just a victim of depth in the organization and contract limitations in the overall league picture.

Better to have enough solid depth that you risk losing some talent than not having enough?

However the fact is that at this point in time, there have been no real disastrous off season moves or departures that are considered to be permanent losses or setbacks?

In a weak draft year I put little stock in what happens if they simply retain their current first round picks - there are no players at that point that will make a direct leap to the big club. A deal however would change that thought process.... the who, what and why would have to be evaluated.

Moving up in the draft will be overly expensive for what is available, and a number one centre or defenceman won't come cheap. Most people agree that after the first 5-6 players in the draft the talent drops off the map rapidly, so teams holding the cards will ask a lot for anyone any deal involving that pick. But that's nothing new?

July 1st will be important but I really expect no big splash then as I am not at all impressed by what is out there.

That said they have to make some changes somehow if they expect to improve next year - the current status quo is not going to win a Cup soon.

the contract he gave to Markov was for way too much money. No way Markov should have got more than $5 MIllion dollars.

I agree with that but I also expected to give Higgins and komisarek $2M for next year and possibly more for any year after that so on the whole we pay $8.75M for this season and $9.55M for the next for three players that are a big part of our core now. An average of $3.183M each (at the high end) isn't too hard to take for those guys

How about getting Rivet back cheap?

Inside source tells me Detroit will be pushing hard for Rivet. Apparently they tried getting him at the deadline but didn't want to trade their 1st.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in San Jose, he seems to love it there.

The bad was having to take on Cullimore's salary. Gainey should have dealt Samsonov straight up for Salmelainen.

There probably was no deal if Cullimore wasn't invoved

And the contract he gave to Markov was for way too much money. No way Markov should have got more than $5 MIllion dollars.

It's only proof that Gainey values Markov a lot more then you do and more then he values Souray who will get six somewhere else. I'm not dogging what your saying. I agree it's a lot of money but it seems to be the going rate for a player you value. Sends a good message to Andrei and you know he will be teaching the kids all his secrets. Who else would you fill his shoes with?, that would be cheaper.

just look at what the flyers did today and tell me 5 is too much for markov

:lol: Right on ! Now anyone who says Markov's contract is too high look like fools !!!

Inside source tells me Detroit will be pushing hard for Rivet. Apparently they tried getting him at the deadline but didn't want to trade their 1st.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in San Jose, he seems to love it there.

You sound like those guys on TSN on trade day. "Inside Source"

Time to set an I.P. trap up to track you back to see if you are posting from one of those sports networks. :hockey: :hlogo:

so far I rate gainey's job to be very average.

pros:

he made a good signing in markov

signed valentenko

happy that he signed komisarek and higgins but I wish it was for longer.

cons:

he managed to get rid of a bad apple that he brought upon us.

didn't bring a bona fide player in return of above said bad apple.

didn't make any statement on his vision of this team next...so far it'll be worse then last year.

conclusion:

will make a true evaluation in august to see where this team is heading.

the draft has yet to arrive and I'm sure that BG will be active on the trading block.

with the philadelphia signing, I hope he won't do the same and bring an overpaid 3rdliner.

I would say Gainey has done an above average job this summer. The signing of Markov was really important. The Sammy trade was also very good as well as the Valentako signing.

There is still a lot of time left this summer so hopefully he can pull a few more deals.

Gainey has had an fantastic summer.

He has sorted out the Kovalev situation (so Kovy says)

Traded a problematic player with a contract that was almost impossible to move

signed Lahti, Markov, Higgins and Komisarek (for less then I expected)

Made his offer to Souray (which we all knew would be turned down)

And is still up to something for the draft.

However Gainey could learn something from Paul Holmgren. I'm not talking about the trade a pick for rights to talk to UFA players.

I'm talking about the brilliance behind the contract he gave Timmonen. I know everyone thinks he got way too much money I thought so too. After thinking about the contract and the motives behind it for a while I figured out why he did it. He really didn't hurt the team at all; he actually helped them.

Think of it this way:

The contract is front loaded. Timonen gets his big money and then he retires after the big money has been paid out in 4 years.

Now comes the genious part; he signed the deal at 32 years old, (this isn't possible if he turned 35 years old) and before the CBA makes you eat the cap hit no matter what at age 35.

The 2 years left on his contract obviously will not be paid and the Flyers don't get hit on the cap for the $6.3M average. In fact there will actually be $6.3M in cap space created when he retires even though his salary is only $3M.

This is a brilliant move!

Edited by Habitforming

Well, for now, it seems to have gone well. He hasn't done anything earth shattering other than finding a team to take Samsonov instead of buying him out.

We'll see, how the Souray situation plays out will be a important factor in what I think. And hopefully the best and biggest parts of the offseason have yet to come in terms of signings and what not.