HabsWorld Draft 2007 Thread

CHice

Fischer didn't get much playing time and barely got special teams time. This is a good season to judge him now with Johnson gone and with a couple of other NHL prospects.

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish people would stop whining about Esposito. If he wasn't from Montreal and was just another prospect, there wouldn't be a single person hoping the habs take esposito.

Im not from Montreal and doesn't care from where a player is. From what I've seen Esposito and Cherepanov where the biggest talents this year. And about Malkin, Crosby and Esposito, I don't expect them to be on the same line since they are all centers.

Im not from Montreal and doesn't care from where a player is. From what I've seen Esposito and Cherepanov where the biggest talents this year. And about Malkin, Crosby and Esposito, I don't expect them to be on the same line since they are all centers.

I heard that Subban means something bad in Swedish. Can you translate?

The next three years we should not draft D no matter who is available.

In the last 2 drafts Timmins has taken 10 D, 3 centres and 2 LW.

I think the Habs will have major problems in 2-3 years with far too many D that need to play in the NHL. Nice to have but also a headache.

Well you wouldn't expect all the D they have drafted to make it anyway. If they could get 2 solid D men out of this years draft that would be great.

Fisher reminds me a little of Preising. Does everything pretty well but doesn't do any one thing great. He will be a solid 5/6 Dman who can PK and PP on the 2nd unit. He looked decent in his limited ice time.

Mcdonagh is the real deal. Alot of people say he may be NHL ready after 1 year at Wisconsin, time wil tell.

All in All I would give a B+ fopr this years draft. They had a chance to get a very gifted offensive player and passed which is fine with me. They already have 3 high end offensive talents. They need time to Progress. (Kosty(s), Lats. All top 6 forwards.

Time will tell on little kosty.

They acquired exactly what they needed, big time help on the back end, size, speed, quality people and good work ethic. If Pacrioty becomes atleast like Hartnell or as good as Cole which he has been compred that would be huge.

They took a huge leap on the 2nd round D man. I have no idea what that one was about.

The ceneter they got was a great pick, smartest and possibly the quickest in the draft, great news. He does need to add some weight. Wouldn't expect him for 3 years.

The swiss D man and the Swede could be very good sleepers and actually one may crack the line up in a few years.

All in all, i am very impressed with what they got and how BG is sticking to his plan. It may be ugly again this year but look out in a few years. Once some of these crappy contracts run out, and the youth comes in, i think they'll be a consistant playoff team.

Torp should be a good one, judging from that ranking getting a 7th ranked guy in the late 100's is always good. Subban was one out of left field, absolutely atrocious defensive play from the kid (I mean if you hate on Souray, good god, what will you think of him?), but he's got fantastic offensive skills. I wouldnt expect him to play next year though.

I would try to throw him on a wing, and use him as a defensive forward. Timmins prbably looked at Streit's successful year and said, why not?

I heard that Subban means something bad in Swedish. Can you translate?

Subban = The Bitch

Not exactly but used in the same way... A "Subba" is always a woman and was orginaly not something bad. Now it's used for a sloppy woman.

The next three years we should not draft D no matter who is available.

In the last 2 drafts Timmins has taken 10 D, 3 centres and 2 LW.

I think the Habs will have major problems in 2-3 years with far too many D that need to play in the NHL. Nice to have but also a headache.

I take it you rate the 2007 draft with a grade of "D" :hockey: Just kidding don't throw things at me I might break.......

I will assume that Habs will start rating natural LW and Offensive larger Centres for next draft.

You need to read better reports...Esposito was dropping like a stone in the rankings even before the draft. Same with Cherepanov due to some inconsistency in his game and the fact that no one was liking the uncertainty around getting Russian players to sign.

In fact, the look on Esposito's face alone made me glad he wasn't drafted by the Habs...I thought he was going to cry after every name called that wasn't his own. I have no doubt that most players were nervous, anxious, etc...but he looked incredibly immature and there is no doubt in my mind that he would absolutely crumble in Montreal. He had to know that his ranking was falling, his agent had to tell him who did/didn't like him and he still looked like he was going to shrivel up, cry and hide under a pile of coats until it all went away.

You need to read better reports...Esposito was dropping like a stone in the rankings even before the draft. Same with Cherepanov due to some inconsistency in his game and the fact that no one was liking the uncertainty around getting Russian players to sign.

In fact, the look on Esposito's face alone made me glad he wasn't drafted by the Habs...I thought he was going to cry after every name called that wasn't his own. I have no doubt that most players were nervous, anxious, etc...but he looked incredibly immature and there is no doubt in my mind that he would absolutely crumble in Montreal. He had to know that his ranking was falling, his agent had to tell him who did/didn't like him and he still looked like he was going to shrivel up, cry and hide under a pile of coats until it all went away.

I didn't get to see the draft, so I'm not quite sure about the immature way he was acting. But to me, it doesn't matter if his "rankings were dropping like a stone" because the fact remains Esposito has the potential to eventually be one of the better players in the league. It would have been nice to see him play for the habs after all of the original attention he was getting. That being said, what's done is done and they decided to pick up a solid defenceman instead early on. Sorry to simply go on about one player, I just wanted to post my view on it.

In my books, it wasn't an extraordinary draft by any means, and in fact I feel as though the possibilities were out there to really make it a great one this season. As someone said earlier on, I'd give it a B+.

Well look at it thsi way.

Player one - top potential to be a 1st line player. PPG

Player two- top pairing defensive defenseman\

Defense wins championships and defenders tend to have longer career at the top of thier game, i believe it was an excellent choice and I am happy you do as well. Of course only time will tell.

Another reason why the Hasb pics were so good ( all of the Americans) is because the Habs can hold on to thier rights so much longer than CHL players.

No doubt about it. I don't know much at all about the prospects. But the ones that sometime, somehow got my attention was Cherepanov and Esposito. And my point was that it feels like the Habs drafted the same player once again and that the Bulldogs in a year or two will be the Minnesota Mr. Hockey Bulldogs. And I think so without being from Montreal or having any love for francophones.

While they can hold-on to Americans much longer without offering them contract, I seriously doubt that it's the main reason for them drafting so many Americans.

I agree with everyone else here with the "The Habs noticed these guys while scouting David Fischer and Ryan Mcdonagh" theory about the various selection of Americans (mostly from Minnesota).

Regardless of country, when a talented player is available, the Habs will pick him. If the Habs have to sign that player within a small time-frame, they will get the job done.

Well look at it thsi way.

Player one - top potential to be a 1st line player. PPG

Player two- top pairing defensive defenseman\

Defense wins championships and defenders tend to have longer career at the top of thier game, i believe it was an excellent choice and I am happy you do as well. Of course only time will tell.

Another reason why the Hasb pics were so good ( all of the Americans) is because the Habs can hold on to thier rights so much longer than CHL players.

McDonagh is almost always considered an offensive defenceman. In reality, he's allround but he's definitely not a defensive defenceman. You describe him as if he's Komi.

Anyway, I would have taken Cherepanov, but I love Gainey's pick.

I'm not going to start a new thread on this but:

"C'est regrettable pour les partisans" - Patrick Roy / Comment on Habs not taking Espo

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/231734.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

Roy comments on Esposito and offers up his opinion...AGAIN! :angry:

If he is so right all the time, I'd like to ask him what he was thinking when he said we'd regret trading Theodore? :blink:

You do not work for the Canadiens nor are you the GM Patrick. Also, I love how he says that Quebecers dream of playing for the Habs.

That is, until they are humiliated.

"C'est regrettable pour les partisans" - Patrick Roy / Comment on Habs not taking Espo

If he is so right all the time, I'd like to ask him what he was thinking when he said we'd regret trading Theodore? :blink:

You do not work for the Canadiens nor are you the GM Patrick. Also, I love how he says that Quebecers dream of playing for the Habs.

lovely. so the haters have something to latch onto for a few more days in Roy's comments. but seriously, who didn't expect him to say something? He ALWAYS says something.

He also went on to say that the team should recognize its fans, and their demands for local talent... and that we should have basically drafted Esposito cause he's a local boy... Well, if he's so concerned with the montreal fans, why'd he run out on the team when his ego got bruised???

He needs to pay more attention to the Remparts, and understand that his opinion is garbage.

Well, with the Bashkirov twins gone to Russia, if Esposito is back to the Remparts next season in the Q we'll see how he stacks up seeing he'll have to carry the team on his shoulders.