HabsWorld Draft 2007 Thread

CHice

Well i don't know..McDonagh looks good, i know our Defense isnt that great but their were all kinds of Defensive talent in this draft...and im still shocked we didnt get Esposito. I heard some stuff about him and the Mike Ribiero Attitude but ribs attitude wasn't terrible terrible he was just lazy, wich i don't think Espo is.

Patrick Roy has started habs shouldnt pass the opertunity to take him, he will 100% come and bite us in the ass im sure.

22nd Oa pick i honostly have no clue about him i really hope i get to see him at habs training camp hope he impresses us a lot. IF anyone has some good info on him would be nice to have a great report on him.

Then the big killer how their were no moves done by the habs, rumors coming in and out of everywhere i was at least expcting something that was going to happen espesially the hole Patrick marleau story :( but then again main Dissapoitment was that we didn't get Esposito....Another kick in the ass when we took Price i was really hoping on Kopitar lol but price ended up being a good choice.

If One other player Mtl should have really pushed for should have been Sutter man that kid is exactly what the habs need, hes got that kinda fire in him just by bein a sutter and mtl is good with players with that fire in them im sure wouldn't have been hard to get the 11th pick from Carolina.

anyways theres what i think OH and Cherapoanocciehdfugv * russian guy * wtv his name is i would have probobly taken a risk on him...

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was upset with the pick at #12 but after cooling down the guy seems like he will be an excellent MY NHL defenseman. Espo and Cherry would have been nice in the 12 hole but oh well Timmins and Co. have been remarkable in recent drafts so I will support thier choices with blind faith.

Im happy with the picks.. especially McDonagh, I have a felling hes going to be like Price. Everybody hates him now until we find ourselves with a franchise Dman in 2-3 years.

:hlogo:

they obviously didnt want Esposito or thought it wasn't worth losing a 2nd round pick for him OR perhaps they thought he would have fallen even further down.... Because after the 17th pick they could have easily been the trading partner with Calgary instead of St Louis for the 18 pick if they REALLY had any intentions of getting Esposito... Perhaps had Chernapopov been available they might have... but NO way would they have been able to get another pick in the top 20 (this supposedly 3rd first round pick they talk of) It would have been perhaps a pick between 30 and 25 at most.. The earlier was just said so the MTL (Quebec) fans would swallow!

Go Habs

what I'm worried about now is with what are we getting Marleau then?

Absolutely stoked about getting McDonagh, that was a great pick that really solidifies our backend for years to come. I was hoping for Cherepanov, but I'll definitely settle for Ryan. And for the record, I'm really happy we didn't get Espo. I don't think he would have succeeded here in Montreal, but I wish him all the best in Pittsburgh (except when he plays the Habs). As for Patches, if he can turn out, he'll be a great addition to the team. With gritty guys like Latendresse, Higgins, Chipchura, Lapierre and now Pacioretty, I can see us being a mean team like the '07 Cup-winning Ducks in a few years. B)

according to the mock draft and the comparative draft (see following) http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1435

the non named but ranked players in the top 30 that are left are:

Name-frequency

1-Mayorov-4

2-Sweatt-2

3-Moller-5

4-Andersson-2

5-Katic -1

6-MacLean-1

7-Cross-4

8-Brennan-1

9-Legein-1

10-Sacchetti-1

11-Marshall-1

12-Cohen-1

13-Aliu-1

14-Tyrell-2

15-Hoeffel-1

frequency= the times they were named in the 5 lists compared

Edited by CoRvInA

It's bcoz of idiots like Pedneault that nobody wants to play in montreal.

Lets trade Pedneault! And the french media that even try to speak out of their asses..!

Good pickups by Bob and Habs Scouts. Lets see who else they pick!

GO HABS GO!

"He's the guy we wanted all along and we were surprised we had a chance to get him." Like I said, McDonagh was their rare pearl all along. Timmins and McDonagh both say that he might be NHL ready after just one season of college hockey! At 6'1, 200 pounds, he's physically ready and apparently he blew everyone away at combine with his physical and psychological tests. Also, McDonagh is good friends with David Fischer.

Pacioretty says he wants to be like Keith Tkachuk and a bit like Chris Higgins. "I saw Higgins play when he was at Yale and I liked the way he played." Timmins describes him as a "hard-skating power forward."

Hahahahaha. Good ol' Habs draft with everyone pissed about passing on the local kids.

I'm not dissapointed we passed on Esposito. In a way, its payback time for Esposito. When he was available for the QMJHL draft, he said he'd never play in the Q so no team would risk picking him; except he had a backstage deal with Quebec. Now he's learning the hard way that you can't always get what you want.

The McDonagh pick is alright by me. Habs have a lot of good depth D-men but McDonagh is the only one with 1st pair and PP upside. BTW, I can already predict that his future nickname will be McDo. Its the nickname for McDonald's restaurants in Quebec. Its gonna stick very fast.

The Pacioretty pick is a safe pick. Big guy that's a jack-of-all-trades but master of none. I would have prefered a pick with a little more offensive upside, a Backlund or a Perron, or even a Hjalmarsson. But this solidifies our depth with something we lack: big physical wingers who can follow the pace of the game.

As for the "hometown boy" issue, I'm a little pissed we passed on Perron; but the Q in general is often underrated, so I can see Quebec-born players who will be available in the 2nd round but pan out as good as 1st rounders. Richards, Latendresse, Bergeron are all good examples. There's still Fortier and Veilleux available in the 2nd round and both could end up as good as some of those 1st rounders.

Edited by KoZed

More quotes:

Max Pacioretty:

"“I’ve been sometimes compared to Keith Tkachuk,” revealed Pacioretty. “I like to play physical and I give it all I’ve got whenever I’m sent out on the ice. My goal is be a fan favorite so I can fire up the crowd and bring that energy to my teammates.”"

"“I saw a few games at the Bell Centre when it first opened and I was just a kid,” recalled Pacioretty, whose grandmother Theresa Savoie comes from Quebec. “Montreal is an amazing hockey town. I couldn’t have asked for a better NHL environment to play in.”"

"“This is a player with all kinds of power and strength,” said Timmins of the 6-foot-2, 203-pound winger. “He’s also got all kinds of intangibles going for him. And he’s not only got the size, he also got excellent ability.”"

Ryan McDonagh

"“We considered him among the best who tested at the recent combines in Toronto,” added Timmins. “He’s already quite far along physically. I mean, this kid is a horse. We’ve been eyeing him for two years now. He performed very well at the Under-18 World Championships this year. We were nervous about another team being interested in him, given the way his name had been circulating of late.”"

“I knew my interview with the Canadiens went really well,” said the 6-foot-1, 200-pounder. “Everyone I spoke to seemed really happy to meet me. I had a feeling that I could end up in Montreal as soon as I left the interview room. And that’s exactly what happened and I couldn’t be happier.”

haha unfortunately, but i dont mind the mcdonagh pick, just wish we coulda got esposito with the 22nd pick.

i was actually hoping they would have traded up to get Chernapopov.

Esposito scares me too much - scares me bcoz he could turn out to be Denis Savard or Alexander Daigle. I would rather have had the habs gamble on Chernapopov

I'm not going to get worked up about the draft...because you really don't know 99 percent of the time until a couple of years later. Nobody in this draft is a "can't miss" player a-la Crosby or Ovechkin...so don't get too fired up about it. The only thing that would have aggravated me would have been a goaltender drafted with one of the two first-round picks, because the Habs are set there. But I can't say the team is set at any other position, so...a wait-and-see approach seems prudent.

Yes I agree but one thing was keeping me from sleeping last night, and that is meeting Pittsburgh all season and possible play-offs. Espo will be a scoring leader on that team. Team him up with fellow converted habs hater and killer Crosby ........WE ARE SCREWED when it comes to playing the Pens. It will come to bite us in the ass in a few years and RDS and Patrick Roy will be giving us the "I told you so" and I am not looking forward to that. Reading these forums is going to suck as well.

Espo is not a bad hockey player and has proven he can score some sweet goals especially when he is surrounded by great players which he will be. Let's just hope that Cary and this big all american defense we are building will be able to shut them all down.

In a nutshell I agree with posters who say Espo would have crumbled in Montreal, but Geez Pittburgh.....that will haunt us for a long time.

i was actually hoping they would have traded up to get Chernapopov.

Esposito scares me too much - scares me bcoz he could turn out to be Denis Savard or Alexander Daigle. I would rather have had the habs gamble on Chernapopov

I think had both of them been available at the 18th hen maybe the habs could of have dealt the 22 and the first 3rd round pick for the 19th or 20th pick to get Espinosa or Chernapopov

Edited by CoRvInA

Yes I agree but one thing was keeping me from sleeping last night, and that is meeting Pittsburgh all season and possible play-offs. Espo will be a scoring leader on that team. Team him up with fellow converted habs hater and killer Crosby ........WE ARE SCREWED when it comes to playing the Pens. It will come to bite us in the ass in a few years and RDS and Patrick Roy will be giving us the "I told you so" and I am not looking forward to that. Reading these forums is going to suck as well.

Espo is not a bad hockey player and has proven he can score some sweet goals especially when he is surrounded by great players which he will be. Let's just hope that Cary and this big all american defense we are building will be able to shut them all down.

In a nutshell I agree with posters who say Espo would have crumbled in Montreal, but Geez Pittburgh.....that will haunt us for a long time.

How about Price/Halak and Komisarek/O'Byrne/Valentenko/Emelin/Fischer/McDonagh (not a soft D-man in there) completely shutting down those Pens?

BTW, nice note from Redline Report here:

22. Montreal Canadiens, LW Max Pacioretty, Sioux City, United States Hockey League.

The Canadiens may be getting another Erik Cole. He projects to be a power forward with quickness and a hard shot. He was a 20-goal scorer for Sioux City and he showed a memorable physical presence.

Mmmmm, Erik Cole... how many times did that sunovabitch hurt us? Time to have one of our own...

Edited by KoZed

McDonagh-Chelios comparison

McDonagh is looking like he'll be the one to replace Markov after he leaves. With Fischer, Carle, Emelin, Valentenko, McDonagh, Markov signed for 4 more years and then Komisarek still being young (I expect him to play in Montreal his whole career) our D is pretty much set. I would be happy if Gainey used a 3rd rounder or so on another defenceman just to be sure we've got it all covered.

All we're really missing is a Grabovski 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier plus some depth down the wings which can be fixed considering how manypicks we have left.

The impression I'm getting of Pacioretty is that at worst he's a solid third liner and at best a solid second liner. That's pretty much the picture we had of Higgins when he came here and look at it now. Is it just coincidence that Pacioretty is a big fan of Higgins? Hopefully he exceeds expectations - it's what he's been doing his whole life.

22. Montreal Canadiens, LW Max Pacioretty, Sioux City, United States Hockey League.

The Canadiens may be getting another Erik Cole. He projects to be a power forward with quickness and a hard shot. He was a 20-goal scorer for Sioux City and he showed a memorable physical presence.[/i]

Mmmmm, Erik Cole... how many times did that sunovabitch hurt us? Time to have one of our own...

Let's Hope. I believe Gainey has a plan and it is obviously to become fast and tough. That's one thing that will always kill the Pens. They are skilled but not tough.

Besides.....It was a little hurtin, watching the look on Espo's face when he was waiting to get picked. I know he's just a kid but that pout drives me nuts. Ribs had it....Kovalev has it......Espo has it.....

My hopes for from now on...

Oscar Moller

Keven Veilleux

Akim Aliu

Dana Tyrell

Joakim Andersson

Vkassi Kokkala

whoever the Canadiensbrass know will be best....

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

I've been reading some morning newspapers on line and McDonagh is also being compared to Dan Boyle.

If Pacioretty is truely an Eric Cole type, we're laughing. :hlogo:

Here comes round 2. When do the Leefies get to have a pick? lol

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

2nd round starting in a few minutes !!

How can I watch? Is it being televised?

I've been reading some morning newspapers on line and McDonagh is also being compared to Dan Boyle.

If Pacioretty is truely an Eric Cole type, we're laughing. :hlogo:

Here comes round 2. When do the Leefies get to have a pick? lol

Never, they traded their 2nd rounder away too. :lol:

shortcat, who is Kokkala?