HabsWorld Draft 2007 Thread

CHice

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your still not out of that depression?

i think there first pick this year was better then last year. I do wish they moved up for their second 1st round pick to get the russian.

12th Overall: D Ryan McDonagh 6' 1" 200 pounds CSS rating: 11th (North American)

22nd Overall: LW Max Pacioretty 6' 1" 203 pounds CSS rating: 16th (North American)

43rd Overall: D P.K. Subban 5' 10" 200 pounds CSS rating: 102nd (North American)

65th Overall: C Olivier Fortier 5' 11" 168 pounds CSS rating: 44th (North American)

73rd Overall: D Yannick Weber 5' 11" 194 pounds CSS rating: 53rd (North American)

133rd Overall: D Joe Stejskal 6' 2" 186 pounds CSS rating: 95th (North American)

142nd Overall: LW Andrew Conboy 6' 3" 190 pounds CSS rating: 149th Overall (North American)

163rd Overall: D Nichlas Torp 5' 11" 196 pounds CSS rating: 7th Overall (European)

192nd Overall: D Scott Kishel 5' 11" 170 pounds CSS rating: NR

Habs must be happy they got the players they wanted, McDonagh at 12th.

They draft sleepers most of the time (Torp.. what a sleeper!) but they must have like that Subban guy! They reached on quite a bit to get him.

Uhm, I don't think Espo will be playing on the same line as Crosby...

I wish people would stop whining about Esposito. If he wasn't from Montreal and was just another prospect, there wouldn't be a single person hoping the habs take esposito.

Personally, i see him more of a ribiero/daigle type then a Savard. The only thing that worries me is Patrick Roy's high assessment of him (which would be natuarl since he is Esposito's coach).

But i'm fed up with the french media types. If it wasn't for them, Chelios would not have been moved (in an absolute STUPID trade), carboneau wouldn't have been given away and a lot of the other stupid trades made, probably would never have happened and players wouldn't avoid montreal like the plague.

Even when they took Choiunard, they were complaining why didnt' the habs take Gagne. If the habs had taken Gagne chouinard ended up being the prospect that panned out, they would have been complaining why didn't the habs take Choiunard.

I really think this is on of the habs better drafts and they addressed a lot of the holes in their system.

Now if they can only get a real number 1 or 2 centre (I'm really hoping for a Ryder for Marleau trade).

btw, did anyone hear anything further on the Kovolev for Tangauy rumour??? I had read that it was reported by Eric Duhatchak who isn't smoking dope like a lot of the reporters (i.e. that fat idiot Bruce Garrohich - not sure about the spelling - from the Ottawa Sun) reporting trades, but wasnt' able to find that on any of his columns on the web.

If the habs could do the following i would give Gainey an A+++ this summer (after i think he really screwed up by holding on to Souray):

-move Kovolev for a finisher like Tanguay.

-Get another centre (Marleau/Briere - I'd rather have Marleau, but i like being able to get Briere without having giving up anything. I also like Gomez/Drury, but they will NEVER choose to come to Montreal).

-Get a puck moving defencemen (the guy i wanted was signed to a ridiculous salary by philly) and get rid of at least one of Dandenault or Bouillon.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I don't want to look as what esposito will do but what will pacioretty and mcdonagh will bring over here.

I wish him luck in pittsburgh but I don't really care whatever happen to him from now on

I don't want to look as what esposito will do but what will pacioretty and mcdonagh will bring over here.

I wish him luck in pittsburgh but I don't really care whatever happen to him from now on

Yup, looking forward to the new Habs prospects. Espo if he has a good career, good for him. I think he is a flash in the pan like the hot dog moody Russian so many were so high on. Gainey is a Meat and Potatoes guy and this is what the Habs needed. It will be interesting to see what he drafts in 2008. 6 Centers???

I wish people would stop whining about Esposito. If he wasn't from Montreal and was just another prospect, there wouldn't be a single person hoping the habs take esposito.

Esposito is in a better team now, I don't know why you are saying that I am whining about Espo not being in the habs because he's in a better team now. I just said that he wont be playing side by side with crosby on the same line. I believe that Esposito will have his own line.

Esposito is in a better team now, I don't know why you are saying that I am whining about Espo not being in the habs because he's in a better team now. I just said that he wont be playing side by side with crosby on the same line. I believe that Esposito will have his own line.

I wasn't referring to your comment. it looked like you were replying to somenone else whining about Esposito. I had actually read through about 4 pages where people were whining about crosby until i reached your thread and finally responded.

btw, i doubt if he will have his own line, but i do think that at some point he will play with one of Pittsburgh's big 3 (Crosby, Malkin, Staal), which unless he is a total head flop, should assure that he succeeds in pittsburgh, whereas in Montreal, he would've been expected to show he will be the main guy on a line. With Pittsburgh already stacked at centre before drafting Esposito (they already got 4 really good young centres - 3 of them superstar calibre - somebody has to moved to the wing).

I wasn't referring to your comment. it looked like you were replying to somenone else whining about Esposito. I had actually read through about 4 pages where people were whining about crosby until i reached your thread and finally responded.

btw, i doubt if he will have his own line, but i do think that at some point he will play with one of Pittsburgh's big 3 (Crosby, Malkin, Staal), which unless he is a total head flop, should assure that he succeeds in pittsburgh, whereas in Montreal, he would've been expected to show he will be the main guy on a line. With Pittsburgh already stacked at centre before drafting Esposito (they already got 4 really good young centres - 3 of them superstar calibre - somebody has to moved to the wing).

yeah, Espo's pretty much guaranteed to put up big numbers in Pittsburgh, and if he does, good for him. But I doubt he would have been able to do the same thing for us, because like you say, he would have been the man. And the added pressure would have been too much. Playing in Montreal is a unique situation. I prefer that we took guys no one had heard of with our high picks over hometown boys who would have IMMEDIATELY been under the microscope and, even if htey would have been good otherwise, would have lost it due to the immense pressure.

HAHA love the reaction of the kid in the puked Blue Jersey

5986_3.jpg

the Kid : "Mr. GM...you are gonna kick our asses with this guy aren't you"

Edited by CoRvInA

I'm starting to like this kid..

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=318217

..Oh, and Mr. P.K. Subban as well. I'm looking forward at seeing these kids on the ice.

Subban3_001.jpg

“We have Canadiens stuff all over our house. One of my father’s biggest thrills was meeting Jean Béliveau. He was almost in tears.

Go :hlogo: go!

You never draft for immediate help but Subban and McDonagh both have a shot at cracking our line-up after only one season of college. Apparently, Subban has a chance this year, which is possible since he's got a full body and incredible offensive skill, but I think they'll try and round out his defensive game a bit more first. I don't expect Subban to develop very much from what he is now though.

Does anyone have information on Torp and the guy we got in the 7th? Oh, and Conboy too.

A day has passed and Im still a bit dissapointed.

It feels like the Habs drafted the same player this year as they did a year ago... And at the same time the passed on the two most spectaculars player in Cherepanov and Esposito.

If Esposito will be as good as he can then Pittsbutgh will have Crosby, Malkin and Esposito.

i feel a better effort should have been made to move up for our 2nd pick to get Espo. sure bob and trevor like the big puck moving defenseman and the Mcdonagh pick is fine but they still have to honor the tradition of the team and when this kid was teary eyed lastnight when we didnt take him you know how bad he wanted to play for his Habs.

Gainey must love the American program, we're loading up on their players.

when you look at guys like Komisarek and Higgins how can he not.

You never draft for immediate help but Subban and McDonagh both have a shot at cracking our line-up after only one season of college. Apparently, Subban has a chance this year, which is possible since he's got a full body and incredible offensive skill, but I think they'll try and round out his defensive game a bit more first. I don't expect Subban to develop very much from what he is now though.

Does anyone have information on Torp and the guy we got in the 7th? Oh, and Conboy too.

there is a video of torp on canadiens.com

Habs gawn have one o' da best D corps inna NHL in fife years time. WOO

Torps is gonna be great!

yeah !! a name like torp sounds good in australia, doesn't it !!

The shock to me is that we don't know any of these guys except for the reports.

I had the chance to see a lot of CHL players and i was not amazed at the potential

of all those kids. Those who had skills were little and those who were big had no skills.

If those americans can develop has they should we will be in good shape.

I just wish that we will see reports for them dominating the University level, not

like David Fisher.

Torp should be a good one, judging from that ranking getting a 7th ranked guy in the late 100's is always good. Subban was one out of left field, absolutely atrocious defensive play from the kid (I mean if you hate on Souray, good god, what will you think of him?), but he's got fantastic offensive skills. I wouldnt expect him to play next year though.

I had the chance to see a lot of CHL players and i was not amazed at the potential

of all those kids. Those who had skills were little and those who were big had no skills.

I just wish that we will see reports for them dominating the University level, not

like David Fisher.

That's why there are scouts wh owatch them and have to figure out which big guys will get skills in the next 5 years and which skilled guys will get big. If you're always watching NHL games and then watch a Junior game, the quality of play looks very low.

yeah !! a name like torp sounds good in australia, doesn't it !!

Yes, we can call him the Torpedo!

Interview with Timmins (audio)

Interesting interview. Timmins doesn't say whether he would have taken Esposito but did add that they pushed hard to trade up and get a Quebec born player but wouldn't confirm that it was Esposito. I'm sure it was Perron.

like David Fisher.

Fisher did not dominate last year because he was the 5th-6th defenseman. Next year you will hear better reports about him.