Gainey in Québec

mathieu30

Just wondering. I have a good friend, a coach I had in junior who is a French-Quebecer. He is from Québec City. He lives in Europe but every year he visits his family in Québec a couple of times.

He is involved in hockey almost 3-times my age. Just to give you an idea, he used to coach Guy Chouinard (Eric's father). So, when he talks, I listen.

We get together every now and than. Sometimes we practice in the morning, but most of the time we get together to talk about hockey.

We almost always talk about Eric Chouinard, Simon Gagne (he is good friends with Simon's father, they played together), the Candiens' line-up, -system, but every time we start talking about Montréal, the GM in particular he goes...

Gainey? C@lise de t#b#rna##########

%$$#&£[à秧### Who is Bob Gainey?

I have a couple of theories why he always gets furious when I give him that name.

But I was just wondering. Is this how people in Québec think about Mr. Gainey?

Just wondering. I have a good friend, a coach I had in junior who is a French-Quebecer. He is from Québec City. He lives in Europe but every year he visits his family in Québec a couple of times.

He is involved in hockey almost 3-times my age. Just to give you an idea, he used to coach Guy Chouinard (Eric's father). So, when he talks, I listen.

We get together every now and than. Sometimes we practice in the morning, but most of the time we get together to talk about hockey.

We almost always talk about Eric Chouinard, Simon Gagne (he is good friends with Simon's father, they played together), the Candiens' line-up, -system, but every time we start talking about Montréal, the GM in particular he goes...

I have a couple of theories why he always gets furious when I give him that name.

But I was just wondering. Is this how people in Québec think about Mr. Gainey?

ve Gainey he rocks and even took the time to learn and speak French most here love the guy I think that your freind is not as smart as you think thats all.

I don't think that gainey is viewed like a god today with pick only one québécois. alot of people are pissed on the radio, both french and english.

however, I just think that they can't phatom the idea that some players were better than esposito, perron and veilleux !! like there's nobody else playing hockey in this league.

Everyone who wants to complain about Bob; must first prove to me that they are as qualified to clean the muck off his shoes before I'd listen to them.

I'd like to see them pull off what Bob did picking price when everyone laughed and said he was off his rocker; now where are the nay sayers. Don't tell me that you know what is best after having a few pints and sluring your english into french.

Give me a break! The world does not revolve around french canadian players. Granted if there were any talented players to be picked when it was our turn then sure. The reality is we did pick the best and anyone who doesn't think so can go jump into the lake.

In BOB we trust everyone else can go bust!

GO HABS GO!

Well, when Bob first came back to the Habs, he was viewed with near-reverence by both French and English. He's one of the original Anglo players to learn French and really embrace Montreal, he's a proven winner as player, coach and GM, and he of course was a key cog in the dynasty years. All of that led to a tremendous resevoir of respect that crossed linguistic boundaries. (Indeed, among living Habs only Jean Beliveau receives anything comparable to the deference Bob enjoyed in those early days).

But as time passes it becomes a 'what have you done for me lately' syndrome. The Habs had a crushingly disappointing season, and have not improved their season point totals in three years. In that time, Gainey has made no single blockbuster move to improve the team (Kovalev was the closest), patient development from within being his modus operandi. He's also gotten into and extracted himself from a couple of messes (e.g., Theodore, Samsonov). These facts make Gainey more vulnerable to the ancient festering grievances of the fans and press.

French-English tension surrounding the Canadiens has always been there and will only be submerged if the team wins (hell, even in 1971 Cup run and the 1989 Finals appearance this nativism reared its ugly head).

Results and only results will staunch the newly-developing (and wholly undeserved) resentment percolating toward Bob.

Hired 4 years ago on June 2, 2003. Minus 1 wiped out season the jury is still out on BOb. If I was on the jury and I was contemplating a verdict, it would be to give Gainey a medal. At this point, most of the Habs prospects that have become regular players is Savard's work mostly. The BOb impact is going to start landing soon and you can start to see some of that now in Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Price & Latendresse. There will be more surprises to come this year. We are in excellent hands.

I'm very high on Mr. Gainey myself. I know his curriculum. I like the moves he has made so far (yes, even the Garon one ;) ) his personality, his PR, the way he interacts with the media, his sense of humor and so one, but I was referring to his reputation in the french canadian public opinion. I read the Quebec papers as well. French and English. But I was wondering how the people in Quebec feel about 'our' GM.

What a joke......If the people of Quebec really wanted Gainey to draft quebecois, they would retire their endless bureaucracy of social programs. Quebecers pay the highest taxes in North America and every draftee, player and agent knows it. Gainey drafts Americans and Europeans because they are exempt from the ridiculous tax rates and he knows he can hang onto them longer.

People like Gainey as a player and the person he is, but not the decisions he's making.

Sorry Nesquik but speak for yourself. The reason the french media are upset with him from time to time is they have no power over him. Have any of us noticed that recently the media has attacked his GM ability? That is because they have no influence on him. That probably drives them up the wall. As a result they will up their attacks on him.

I personally love it. The media HAVE NO INFLUENCE or POWER over him. Thus, they have no power over the Canadiens. This is a totally different scenario versus his predecessors.

And, if Gainey is so terrible at moves, perhaps he should try dandys like these:

Arron Asham was acquired by the New York Islanders from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for RW Mariusz Czerkawski and a 5th round draft pick on draft day :puke:

OR, to appease the french, how 'bout this?:

Richer dealt back to Montreal in 1996 for defenceman Lyle Odelein :puke:

OR, to appease the french yet again, how 'bout this?:

Montreal signs Brisebois for 4 million annually

Maybe Gainey should draft in a similar style to the following list in 2008. After all, Reggie Houle is French and this was what he did:

39 R Alexander Buturlin

58 D Matt Carkner

97 D Chris Dyment

107 G Evan Lindsay

136 L Dusty Jamieson

145 R Marc-Andre Thinel

150 D Matt Shasby

167 D Sean Dixon

196 G Vadim Tarasov

225 ? Mikko Hyytia

253 L Jerome Marois

So, what's so bad about Gainey compared to this?

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

And, isn't it wonderful that in game 82, the french guys like Higgins and Ryder scored all the goals in the game?

It's because Higgins and Ryder score goals, and Kovalev doensn't. people are just mad cause the habs aren't like the teams in the 70ies. People hope that a new Guy Lafleur joins the team...

Edited by Nesquik

It's because Higgins and Ryder score goals, and Kovalev doensn't. people are just mad cause the habs aren't like the teams in the 70ies. People hope that a new Guy Lafleur joins the team...

Oh, it's Kovy you have a beef with. Is it frustrating that he was signed in the 1st place?

I think all of this starts with Québec Remparts fans who think because their players rule over LHJMQ they are better than any Anglo canadian or American or European player.

They always write on RDS.ca talkbacks "While Habs draft Americans and Europeans, here with the Remparts we have a much better show on the ice". F U CK those jalous fans who still mad cuz the Nordiques are gone and shit on Gainey and the Habs on the radio, talkbacks, etc...

I will add that Gainey has never made me say, "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" :angry: ...yet.

Yes, Gainey has not drafted certain players and has signed Kovy and yes, he's made errors. We could sum it up in a "What has Gainey done bad thread" But, even though mistakes have been made HE HAS NOT put any aspect of the teams future in jeopardy. Not one bad move in that department. He did not do what Bryan Murray (poor Ottawa) did when he signed Fedorov to that ridiculous contract. I could cite other examples but in a nutshell - no "the sky is falling" moves. Most of BOb's mistakes are annoying that irritate like an insect bite from time to time. The biggest recently is Souray. Yes, he did not get an asset but at the same time he isn't going to handcuff our cap like Toronto did with McCabe. Bob may have decided that Gorges/Pacioretty or whomever they got was compensation enough for Rivet and Souray. Souray being the gamble. We have enough prospects in our system to be able to afford to go without a 3rd first round selection in 2007. Between that reasoning and thinking Souray could help in the playoffs, I can see what BOb was thinking. Also, part of this was not all his fault. The deadline being that early made me angry. It handcuffed many teams. Not just the Canadiens.

Get a grip RDS, TQS and whoever you are. WE HAVE LATENDRESSE! :clap: :hlogo:

Oh, it's Kovy you have a beef with. Is it frustrating that he was signed in the 1st place?

Actually, I liked how he played when we took him during the playoffs, and I liked him the season after that, but he's lazy and doesn't do anything now. So I am not happy that Gainey is giving Kovalev an other chance which I'm sure he's gonna blow...

anyone have the links where some Quebec media call Bob Gainey racist?

Thanks in advance

I hope such things don't exist. gainey as come to montreal, learned the language and embraced the culture. by no means is he a racist. in fact more people should be like him.

there are stupid journalists in montreal but I hope none as dumb to write something so stupid.

anyone have the links where some Quebec media call Bob Gainey racist?

Thanks in advance

Geeeez.... I wonder why nobody wants to come play in Montreal.... :puke:

Isn't it ironic that the very media that calls Gainey a racist (still no source) are always the ones who make everything out to be about "race" ???

This whole thing is litterally making me sick to my stomach.... I can't even read up on any "Habs draft day analysis" anymore because all they talk about is "race" this and "quebecer" that and "the Habs are turning their backs on Quebec" this. Looks like I have to stick to english media right now cause I least they are trying to give HOCKEY analysis.... cause last time I checked, this is hockey we're talking about right?

Edited by chief_balthor

Geeeez.... I wonder why nobody wants to come play in Montreal.... :puke:

Isn't it ironic that the very media that calls Gainey a racist (still no source) are always the ones who make everything out to be about "race" ???

This whole thing is litterally making me sick to my stomach.... I can't even read up on any "Habs draft day analysis" anymore because all they talk about is "race" this and "quebecer" that and "the Habs are turning their backs on Quebec" this. Looks like I have to stick to english media right now cause I least they are trying to give HOCKEY analysis.... cause last time I checked, this is hockey we're talking about right?

I must admit that at least one small yet bursting flame of sanity remains in RDS Have you read Stephane Leroux piece

http://www.rds.ca/lhjmq/chroniques/231583.html

in summary for those who don't read French:

the whole Draft process drafted only 25 players from the Q and among those only 10 came from Quebec the rest are from States Anglo Canadians and Eurpeans... He states it's the lowest ever. isn't there something going very wrong in Quebec in terms of quality players from the belle Province?

P.S.

Reading the comments on what this Gaston Therrien wrote; the talk backs emphasis in many counts the stupidity in what consists Therrien's article (arguably the most reactionary article from RDS). Many if not the majority of the talkbacks are very inspiring... and given that RDS's selecting bias would have it shift towards a more friendly RDS reply there are many frustrated readers who have passed the Moderator (something this blogger has very rarely done) So all in all the real Habs fans in Quebec are standing up against this overtly incorrect allegation from Therrien. HouraY!!

GO HABS GO! GO GAINEY GO!

Edited by CoRvInA

I was initially disappointed when Bob didnt take Espo, but after calming down we have to trust Bob and Trevor and i really do

I was initially disappointed when Bob didnt take Espo, but after calming down we have to trust Bob and Trevor and i really do

My feelings exactly

Honestly, I was really disapointed when we didn't take Espo. Kind of like I was infuriated when we took Carey Price instead of other guys behind him, Brule and Skille in particular. How does that draft look now only two years later?

When in doubt, refer to my sig :hlogo:

Edited by les_glorieux