Leafs acquire Toskala & Bell

Mr. Nasty

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

This is a good deal for the Leafs. Toskala is an up and coming goalie in this league and is yet another product of the Finish goalie boom. Bell on the otherhand did not have a good season with the Sharks despite the offence he was surrounded with. However, he still has plenty of upside and should be given plenty of time to show what he can do. Personally, I think the Habs need to do something to match this. Offence is a must more than ever, and we are going to need some outside help to contend in the NorthEast division.

Ouch, they trade 13th oa, 43rd oa and their 4th for Mark Bell and Toskala. It's a good deal but it costs them in youth and capspace. Bell is able to be a good player but he's actually in a similar boat to Samsonov right now.

I think this breaks down to 13th oa + 43rd oa for Toskala and then 4th rounder for Bell.

I'm not happy that the Leafs get a good goalie though.

Pwff. Thank God.

I was thinking both Toronto & Boston could use the services of a 1978-born french canadien goalie.

1 down 1 to go.

I don't think this is a good deal at all. If it were another team I would think twice but the Leafs need to have more quantity in the prospect system. They were suppose to be doing so and now it's the same ol' story.

If JFJ can flip out a roster player tonight and get a pick back then I'll reconsider.

They only reported Toskala earlier...I see Bell was added. Nice pick-up...we will see if it is the same Bell as last year or the one from Chicago. Let's hope he plays the same as last year.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

They only reported Toskala earlier...I see Bell was added. Nice pick-up...we will see if it is the same Bell as last year or the one from Chicago. Let's hope he plays the same as last year.

Yeah, Bell also received a DUI charge or two last year. Supposed to be a bit of a partyer.

I don't think this is a good deal at all. If it were another team I would think twice but the Leafs need to have more quantity in the prospect system. They were suppose to be doing so and now it's the same ol' story.

If JFJ can flip out a roster player tonight and get a pick back then I'll reconsider.

I think the Leafs want a Cup the earlier they can... it's been a while man :lol:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

This is a good deal for the Leafs. Toskala is an up and coming goalie in this league and is yet another product of the Finish goalie boom. Bell on the otherhand did not have a good season with the Sharks despite the offence he was surrounded with. However, he still has plenty of upside and should be given plenty of time to show what he can do. Personally, I think the Habs need to do something to match this. Offence is a must more than ever, and we are going to need some outside help to contend in the NorthEast division.

Well your wrong there, he's not an up and coming goalie. He's been there for years, but not really got the chance as a first goalie. He has been a very good goalie for the finnish team for many years, and i hate it he's a leaf. A very good goalie, and i think much better than Bryzgalov.(toskala has profen more, also in international hockey)

this is actually a good move

they got the goaltender that they need

only problem now is that justin pogge will have some competition for the number 1 spot

and mark bell is better than most 4th rounders they could have picked up

Let me see if I got this right and please correct me if I am wrong......

Last year Leafs trade 1st round pick Tuko Rask for Red Light Raycroft. (Habs tell him "Who's your daddy")

This year Leafs trade first rounder (This year or 2008), second round and fourth round(2009) for another back up goalie and overpaid forward.

If the above is right, then I am glad I do not cheer on the losers since '67

What a joke JFjr has turned into. Two firsts, a second and a fourth for two backup goalies and a centre who will do nothing.

I just ask myself, What would Bob Gainey do if he did this? -RESIGN-

They get immediate help. Bell will fit nicely to the Leafs style of play.

What, playing drunk?

[like I said, Bell has been caught drunk driving, I think twice]

The impression I get from this move is that Ferguson is pulling a Wadell and knows that if he misses the playoffs this season, he will be fired. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tlusty gone by the deadline.

I think this deal will help TO somewhat, in the short term. But unless Toskala pulls a Kiprusoff and turns into a superstar I think this on balance a horrible trade. You NEED a surplus of excellent young talent in a cap system. The Leafs just shat away three high picks for a good (not, on the surface, great) goalie and a young player who has been given up on by two other teams because he's a basket case. Three picks for a decent G and a reclamation project? That seems pretty steep to me.

I think this deal will help TO somewhat, in the short term. But unless Toskala pulls a Kiprusoff and turns into a superstar I think this on balance a horrible trade. You NEED a surplus of excellent young talent in a cap system. The Leafs just shat away three high picks for a good (not, on the surface, great) goalie and a young player who has been given up on by two other teams because he's a basket case. Three picks for a decent G and a reclamation project? That seems pretty steep to me.

I think Toskala will be an adequate replacement and upgrade to Raycroft.

However what all the Leaf stations, papers and so called know it alls do not realize is that he won 49 games in two years with a GOOD TEAM. Not the horrid Laughs. We will see how good he actually is when he see's Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Spezza, Heatly, Alfie on a regular basis instead of shared time between the pipes. Should be very interesting.

Toskala has only played 115 NHL games as well.......and this past year was the most games he's played (38)

And Bell has underachieved to date...and I could have got more than 20+ points playing with Marleau and Thorton.......

So I think (on paper) that SJ won this trade.....

Toskala has only played 115 NHL games as well.......and this past year was the most games he's played (38)

And Bell has underachieved to date...and I could have got more than 20+ points playing with Marleau and Thorton.......

So I think (on paper) that SJ won this trade.....

Well, Bell screwed up at the beginning of the season so he was 4th line LW for a good portion of the year. He was their equivalent to Samsonov except they were a bit less patient.

I'm fine with the Leafs overpaying a bit for Toskala because they need to face the fact that they won't make the playoffs with Raycroft as their starter - they might with Toskala. So it could have been worth it. But Bell, I'm not even sure they wanted - Wilson may very well have forced JFJ to add Bell for a 4th as part of the deal.