Anyone want Zubrus?

les_glorieux

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Dainius Zubrus anticipates becoming a free agent this weekend, a move that would end the veteran forward's brief stint with the Buffalo Sabres.

"That's certainly the direction it looks like it's headed," his agent, Jerrold Colton said Wednesday.

With the NHL's free agency period starting at noon Sunday, Colton declined to say whether he's had any talks with the Sabres.

"Certainly, these things can get done if both sides are motivated," Colton said. "But at this point, we're anticipating that Dainius will hit the market."

The Sabres have bigger concerns beyond Zubrus, with the team standing to lose co-captains, Chris Drury and Daniel Briere, to free agency.

The Sabres have finally begun negotiations with both players, and did make Briere an offer late Wednesday evening, Buffalo's WGRZ-TV reported. It's not clear what the offer is for a player seeking a minimum four-year deal, and expected to command a US$6 million-a-year salary.

Briere finished 10th in the NHL with a career-high 95 points (32 goals, 63 assists).

Briere's agent Pat Brisson declined comment, while Sabres general manager Darcy Regier has declined interview requests this week.

Drury's agent, Mark Witkin, has also declined to discuss the status of talks involving his client. Drury, who scored a career-high 69 points (37 goals, 32 assists), is projected to double the $3.15 million he made last season.

Zubrus made $1.85 million in the final year of his contract last season. Buffalo acquired him in a deal with Washington at the trade deadline in February. A 10-year veteran, he had four goals and eight points in 19 games with the Sabres, and finished with 24 goals and 60 points - both career-highs - in 79 games.

Zubrus added eight assists in 15 playoff games, but missed Buffalo's final postseason game - a 3-2 overtime loss to Ottawa in Game 5 the Eastern Conference finals - because of a knee injury.

"He loved being with Buffalo and is still open to that possibility," Colton said. "But we're very confident that there will be a lot of interest in him out there."

Well who knows to be honest for Zubrus. All these top UFA guys all want long-term contracts so if he waits it out he might get his 5 year / 15 M$ deal.

Might have sounded crazy in Washington but in the open market, anything is possible.

His wife is from Montreal she likes it here and has said she wants to come back.

Zubrus was a force in the playoffs hitting everything that moved when the Sabres beat the Rangers, I would take him back but at no where near 4 mil per season.

Zubrus would be okay, I guess. He's proven to work better as a LW than a C though, so maybe not what we need.

His wife is from Montreal she likes it here and has said she wants to come back.

Zubrus was a force in the playoffs hitting everything that moved when the Sabres beat the Rangers, I would take him back but at no where near 4 mil per season.

I thought it was Zednik's wife who came from Montreal : Jessica Welch.

No thanks....been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Briere is going to walk. Just turned down Buffalo's offer of 5 year $25 MIllion, the same contract he wanted Buffalo to give him last year.

Chris Drury is almost good as gone.

Buffalo may make a push to keep Zubrus.... although I have no idea why?

Edited by kaos

Zubrus would be great for Latendresse. Zubrus went from teir II to the NHL at a young age because his size allowed for it. He could teach Latendresse everything he wishes he knew when he broke in.

If you can get him for three million or less go for it....since we can't....enjoy Buffalo Danius!

Edited by Habitforming

Yeah, but Zubrus hardly lived up to his potential - Latendresse should develop into a much better player than he is.

Nonetheless, Zubrus isn't a bad option as a last resort. He's improved his game a bit since his last stint with Montreal.

Injuries aside, I'd take Handzus over him, because he seems to be a better role player if he doesn't work out as one of the top C's. Zubrus is such a gamble for our team. I just don't see the benefit.

Injuries aside, I'd take Handzus over him, because he seems to be a better role player if he doesn't work out as one of the top C's. Zubrus is such a gamble for our team. I just don't see the benefit.
You're probably right. For some reason I had it in my head that he was looking for 5-6 million a year and had been discounting him because I didn't want to see us overpay like that, but for 4 a year, he's just catapulted to the top of my list. Four years at 16 million, for a Super-Bonk? Damn right. So who do you think would play on his LW (RW Kovalev)? Latendresse? How about Zubrus?

I like the Handzus idea. He is awfully slow but he was deadly when he arrived in Chicago before it was game over with the injury. With our speed we can have him float around in the offensive zone. I'm sure we could compensate. The Zeus is hard to get rid of down low. He's not a dinosaur at 30 and he's 6' 5", 217 lbs. Center. Age: 30

2006-07 GP8 3G 5A 8PTS +4 PIM6 SHOTS9 SH%33.3

If we could get Zeus and BriEEEEEERe I'd be delighted.

PS. We won't get Zeus for the money we would likely offer. I still like the idea

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I like the Handzus idea. He is awfully slow but he was deadly when he arrived in Chicago before it was game over with the injury. With our speed we can have him float around in the offensive zone. I'm sure we could compensate. The Zeus is hard to get rid of down low. He's not a dinosaur at 30 and he's 6' 5", 217 lbs. Center. Age: 30

2006-07 GP8 3G 5A 8PTS +4 PIM6 SHOTS9 SH%33.3

If we could get Zeus and BriEEEEEERe I'd be delighted.

Yeah I agree with your last statement. If Handzus were to be the only major pickup on offense this off season I wouldn't be overly enthusiatic by any means. But add someone like Briere to the mix, along with Handzus and that would help our offense tremendously (even though for some reason I get the feeling that regardless of who he plays for, Briere won't put up the same numbers as last year.) As for the original question, I know Montreal is one of Zubrus' favorite places to play, so it's not impossible. Adding him is kind of like obtaining a stronger and quicker Ribeiro... I wouldn't mind picking him up for the right price, but not as a first option.