Canadiens sign Hamrlik, Smolinski & Kostopoulos

Tony, by the time a player is a year away from UFA, you know a lot about that player. You should be able to come up with the basis of an agreement if you want to retain the player. Calgary just spend $7m on Iginla and $4m on Regehr... those are fantastic deals given this year's market, let alone next year's. They knew everything they needed to about the players and got them locked up.

We could've had Markov signed last summer for less... and we still got him for a good price by this year's standards. Hopefully Bob learns his lessons. I know Buffalo must be really regretting not signing Briere for 5 years last summer.

Anyways... Kostopo. I don't know why we signed him, but I do think we must have at least a minor trade forthcoming. I still don't see the potential for a major trade, though.

come on - souray last september and souray in may were two entirely different stories.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Handzus has signed with LA ...

And with the Kostopoulos signing, no way Dandenault will play F.

I know...my point was more about the type of players I would've like to have seen signed at forward. I have no real problem with the Smoke signing...more disappointed that they didn't sign a guy with Scotty Walkers type of skill set.

Also was making a point that our D looks like a problem despite all the depth it's all low tier...having your final pairing filled by guys who are lucky to be more then 7th d-men is a problem IMHO. Yes, Gorges, Dandenault and Boullion are all 7th d-men IMO. At least 1 more guy who has the ability to fit in beside Hamrlik is needed...then Streit can be the key guy on the final pairing.

happy with these signings but... the spots on the roster for Hamilton kids are slim (if u don't count the fact that the Lapiere and Kosty spots are up for grabs) 22 in the roster right now.. and if Streit is made a Forward again then highly probable that only a D comes out of Hamilton.

dismissing trades... what are the chances of Murray starting off in Hamilton.. would he have to clear waivers?

happy with these signings but... the spots on the roster for Hamilton kids are slim (if u don't count the fact that the Lapiere and Kosty spots are up for grabs) 22 in the roster right now.. and if Streit is made a Forward again then highly probable that only a D comes out of Hamilton.

dismissing trades... what are the chances of Murray starting off in Hamilton.. would he have to clear waivers?

After all the players that left I was expecting the young guys from hamilton to make it to the habs, especially that those kids won the Caldercup, I would love to see some young rookies in the team,.

Kosteau is sweet talking his way into the habs fans hearts always nice to hear this even if its liek hearing a scratched rexcord

"I think it's an honour to play for Montreal. It's one of the greatest places to play in the NHL. I love the building and I know the fans are very passionate."

Man has the Anaheim experience rubbed off on Gainey or what!

We are man for man a bit tougher than this same time last year. With GRinders Lapierre Kosteau and Begin (Hope to the good mary he's healthy again) maybe even Lahti???

There has been clearly a preference for Grit rather than finesse... I wonder if these things will play in favor and influence our Plekaneks Kovelev and Kostitsyns

GLASS HALF FULL RANT - PART 2: I like how BOb has backed off of UFA signings. Let the kids fill out the roster. We keep going on and on about some of the talents. I say, "why not"? Besides, those of you itching for a further deal, remember the high ranking player some may want will command a long term contract.

Fast forward to UFA 2008. After all of our kids get the raises, we will still not be handcuffed by that particular players' long term contract. Oh boy, I can hear it now. All those who complained about no UFA this year would be getting angry in 2008. Teams won't be able to pursue UFA's because they are caught on cap. Let's not be one of them. Going with youth and keeping that money free is essential to 2008. Funny that BOb said in the PC that they have 2 to 3 million available. That either means that Plekanec and Ryder will fetch 6 to 7.5 million between them. Or, BOb is keeping that door open. Can you imagine if we will had to clear 2 million next year to get a "Briere" calibre player, and all due to Yashin's (Bad example I know) 4 year deal worth 3.5 or 4 a year?

Bullocks to that

My 2 cents on this whole thing, I don't mind the three signings as I did not want to see Montreal waste years of money on a SMALL centre. Plus I like Souray, but I did not think he would do the honourable home town discount like he hinted at. Talk is cheap, actions speak volumes. Now where are those champion Bulldog players to fill some positions :hlogo:???

Right now we can project...

On the RW we've got Kovalev, Ryder, Kostitsyn, Kostopoulos

On the LW we've got Higgins, Latendresse, Begin

AT the C we've got Koivu, Plekanec, Smolinski, Lapierre

There's 1 spots opened, perhaps 2 depending on what happens with Ryder.

Right now we can project...

On the RW we've got Kovalev, Ryder, Kostitsyn, Kostopoulos

On the LW we've got Higgins, Latendresse, Begin

AT the C we've got Koivu, Plekanec, Smolinski, Lapierre

There's 1 spots opened, perhaps 2 depending on what happens with Ryder.

probably lahti as 4th LW. I wouldn't be shocked to see Lahti platoon with Kostopoulos

I don't mind blocking up roster spots because I don't believe any of the kids are ready. We may read Grabovski on LW though.

Kostopoudapoloudopolous, Hamrlik & Brian Smolinski.

I'm satisfied with Mr Gainey's work so far.

To the guy who put that cartoon on todays Gazette front page: Boy, am I curious what you're going to write when this team is playing well in a couple of months.

:nono:

Go Bob go!

:hlogo:

Hamilton Bulldogs - 2007 Calder Cup Champions

I caught 110% on last night and Talbot from the Pens had nothing but nice things to say. He said he's got a tremendous presence and is a hard worker. One guy said (forgot who it was, not Talbolt) he's like an English Steve Begin.

Lapierre - Bégin - Kostopolous is gonna be one annoying line to play against :lol:

I presume than Murray's days with the CH are done?

Lapierre - Bégin - Kostopolous is gonna be one annoying line to play against :lol:

I presume than Murray's days with the CH are done?

Murray really disappointed me last season. The year before, he seemed like a tremendously promising grinder, a guy who could anchor our third line for years. And then he suddenly sucked ass. I don't know if he got complacent (a common trap for young players) or was just playing over his head the year before, but I suspect he made no impression on Carbo and is definitely on the bubble.

Murray really disappointed me last season. The year before, he seemed like a tremendously promising grinder, a guy who could anchor our third line for years. And then he suddenly sucked ass. I don't know if he got complacent (a common trap for young players) or was just playing over his head the year before, but I suspect he made no impression on Carbo and is definitely on the bubble.

I have to agree Murray is questionable. Two years ago he was awesome scoring a few goals I remember he scored 2 against the Bruins in a 2-0 game and was the first star. Last year he sucked.

So what will that make him with the habs lol

well he can play for the ice dogs or .... make hamilton less sad when we relieve them of Grabo chips agostini.. etc...