All In Favour Of Selanne

l<OV4L3V

I can see the future...SAKU! TEEMU! chant alternating.....

What do you guys think?

Teemu has been a proven offensive machine, and is a good motivator to the players around him, also, he is a defending stanley cup champion!

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?

Edited by l<OV4L3V

Gainey can pull miracles out of his arse....Who would have expected theodore would have been gone? NOBODY

And for once, can people on this board be optimistic? and not so pessimistic? Sure its dreaming...but seriously...You never know what tomorrow brings

Edited by l<OV4L3V

BWHAHAHAHA

Sorry, but Selanne in Montreal is such an old old old pipedream. I think every summer for the past 10 years there's been people clamoring for Selanne to join Saku.

Never happened, probably never will either.

Ok so are we going to suck balls like the Leafs for another 40 years? Cause honestly that is the way im looking at it

As if UFAs ever made a huge difference...

Be realistic. We've got one of the best prospect pool in the entire league and our farmclub just won the Calder Cup with a bunch of depth prospects. We're the NJ Devils of the next decade: star goalie who can move the puck like few can (Halak or Price, both are good at it); big physical D (Komisarek, O'Byrne, Fischer, McDo) and a whole bunch of forwards who might not become offensive superstars but all have character and 2-way savy (Higgy, Plex, Lats, Kosty, Chips, Max)...

I'm in no way worried about this UFA stuff. Its not how you build a championship team anyway. Never was, never will be.

The realistic approach I thought for the Habs is that they need to add another veteran presence to help steer the ship. Koivu can't do everything on his own. All of the major pieces are there in terms of prospects are Kozed pointed out.

I'm in no way worried about this UFA stuff. Its not how you build a championship team anyway. Never was, never will be.

I guess Detroit and Colorado never bought Cups in the last 15 years. I guess the Ducks didn't just buy Nieds and Pronger to put them over the top. UFAs are important, don't kid yourself.

UFAs are useful for filling in bits that can't be filled in from within. The Habs have lots of wingers in the system. What we lack are big, skilled C; and, in the short term, D.

Selanne is a nice sentimental choice but we'd be better inking Lang to a short-term deal or just forgetting about UFAs at forward. After Lang, I think Bob should refocus on signing good second-tier defencemen like Priessing and/or Stuart and resigning Souray if this can be done within reason.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I guess Detroit and Colorado never bought Cups in the last 15 years. I guess the Ducks didn't just buy Nieds and Pronger to put them over the top. UFAs are important, don't kid yourself.

The Ducks made it to the SCF without those 2 before. They put them over the top, maybe; but the fundation was already there.

As for Colorado, who did they "bought" that got them a Cup? Because most of the big names they've had, they traded for them.

The Ducks made it to the SCF without those 2 before. They put them over the top, maybe; but the fundation was already there.

As for Colorado, who did they "bought" that got them a Cup? Because most of the big names they've had, they traded for them.

Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Drury, Kamensky and then they did a little trick offering "A whole lot of Rucinsky" , Kovalenko and TEEBOU for Mike Keane and Roy. Ok, Hejduk and Drury might not have been there in 96 but still they had the core from the start.

Look, you need a solid base for a team and I don't think anyone would dispute that.

But aside from the foundation, you still need to make aggressive moves to upgrade your team. When Brian Burke was brought into Anahiem, he did just that - dumping a big name player like Sergei Fedorov in a ridiculously smart move, freeing up cap space and getting the stellar Francois Beauchemin. Where'd the cap space go? Signing Niedermayer, later acquiring Pronger.

Smart moves.

Gainey's certainly proven he can dump salary - look at Theodore's floundering in Colorado - but he hasn't used that cap space for anything tangible. Signing and dumping Sergei Samsonov? Yippee. Have we seen a trade that has improved the core? Dumping Craig Rivet? That's it. That's not how contenders are built.

The Canadiens have the young NHL ready talent to compete now, but to do it they have to address some glaring needs. For starters, who'll play D? Give Josh Gorges top 4 minutes?? Who's the second line centre? Plekanec? Leave Kovalev to rot and whine on the 4th line? Fine, but who's going to be surprised when the end result of next season is the same as the past one.

As much as Colorado and Detroit had mammoth payrolls, they weren't constructed of primarily UFA talent. I'm not saying that their deep pockets had nothing to do with them winning championships, they certainly had almost everything to do with it. I'm just noting that these teams (I'm focused on Colorado's because I don't care about Detroit) were NOT built through unrestricted free agency.

Sakic (96,01): Nordique draft pick (retained as expensive RFA in 97)

Forsberg (96,01): Lindros trade

Drury (01): Nords draft pick

Hejduk (01): Nords draft pick

Foote (96, 01): Nords draft pick

Bourque (01): Rolston trade

Roy (96, 01): We all know where he came from

Valeri Kamensky (96): Nords draft pick

Sandis Ozolinsh (96): Nolan trade

Claude Lemieux (96): Wendel Clark trade (Islanders)

Deadmarsh (96): Nords draft pick

Blake (01): Deadmarsh/Miller trade

Tanguay (01): Avs draft pick

As much as Colorado and Detroit had mammoth payrolls, they weren't constructed of primarily UFA talent. I'm not saying that their deep pockets had nothing to do with them winning championships, they certainly had almost everything to do with it. I'm just noting that these teams (I'm focused on Colorado's because I don't care about Detroit) were NOT built through unrestricted free agency.

Sakic (96,01): Nordique draft pick (retained as expensive RFA in 97)

Forsberg (96,01): Lindros trade

Drury (01): Nords draft pick

Hejduk (01): Nords draft pick

Foote (96, 01): Nords draft pick

Bourque (01): Rolston trade

Roy (96, 01): We all know where he came from

Valeri Kamensky (96): Nords draft pick

Sandis Ozolinsh (96): Nolan trade

Claude Lemieux (96): Wendel Clark trade (Islanders)

Deadmarsh (96): Nords draft pick

Blake (01): Deadmarsh/Miller trade

Tanguay (01): Avs draft pick

Look at all the TRADES there. That's what Bob needs to start thinking about.

Well, even though I didn't specifically say it, I did lump trades in there too when I mentioned Pronger.

I think you guys need to stop worrying about what the team will look like on the ice next season until it's actually formulated. There are still UFA's out there that could help the habs make the playoffs and possibly be a "contender" if we improve our defense and get solid goaltending. With that being said, it's obvious in my mind that Bob will either sign a couple of the stronger players left or make trade(s) to improve our team. It's only a matter of time.

As for Selanne, like others have said on here, optimistic or not, it just doesn't make sense. Especially from Teemu's perspective.

Look at all the TRADES there. That's what Bob needs to start thinking about.

Yeah but don't forget Nordiques had to finish very last to build this team by picking #1 overall Eric Lindros and trade him. Something that will never happen in MTL. I said it in a thread during winter : you finish bottom low few years (not 20th : 29th or 30th) and then you can wait for 3 years to see your big big big prospects have a real impact on the ice and win a cup... or be lucky as the Red Wings and pull a superstar off the 4th round...

Gainey can pull miracles out of his arse....Who would have expected theodore would have been gone? NOBODY

And for once, can people on this board be optimistic? and not so pessimistic? Sure its dreaming...but seriously...You never know what tomorrow brings

Fans of this franchise usually know what tommorow brings. Loosing,Frustration,Disappointment,Never getting anyone,Knowone wanting to come here............................

Ok so are we going to suck balls like the Leafs for another 40 years? Cause honestly that is the way im looking at it

Its not just you who sees it that way, there isnt any winning days ahead for us

UFAs are useful for filling in bits that can't be filled in from within. The Habs have lots of wingers in the system. What we lack are big, skilled C; and, in the short term, D.

Selanne is a nice sentimental choice but we'd be better inking Lang to a short-term deal or just forgetting about UFAs at forward. After Lang, I think Bob should refocus on signing good second-tier defencemen like Priessing and/or Stuart and resigning Souray if this can be done within reason.

Lang over Teemu? good lord man decisions like that are why we suck