The Official Deathly Hallows thread

BTH

Hate to sound like the big HP nerd here but I can answer all your guys' questions with fact. (Thestrals, Joe, not sombrals!)

My sister (who also follows Harry Potter pretty closely) told me that the character was

Kreacher

And I never bothered to look it up but it makes a lot of sense. I'll explain something that could have happened quickly.

yeah sorry for the Sombrals thing... that's how they call it in the french version.

and you might be right for

Kreacher

. It makes sense to me.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible that Dumblesnore and Snape's wands are opposites and Harry uses Dumblegore's wand and therefore is able to use the Priori I-Can't-Win spell with Snape's assistance in order to glean special infodata?

He could, but I doubt it. Sounds more fairy tale than Harry Potter.

Hate to sound like the big HP nerd here but I can answer all your guys' questions with fact. (Thestrals, Joe, not sombrals!)

My sister (who also follows Harry Potter pretty closely) told me that the character was

Kreacher

And I never bothered to look it up but it makes a lot of sense. I'll explain something that could have happened quickly.

yeah sorry for the Sombrals thing... that's how they call it in the french version.

and you might be right for

Kreacher

. It makes sense to me.

I don't know where to look it up, but as far as I know, it's confirmed - who the character is, anyway. The big blacked out paragraph is all a guess.

By the way, just a reminder - you guys will read the book before I get my hands on it - so make sure the post spoilers using the spoiler feature! For HBP I had "Snape kills Dumbledore" ruined for me, but then again, who didn't?

By the way, just a reminder - you guys will read the book before I get my hands on it - so make sure the post spoilers using the spoiler feature! For HBP I had "Snape kills Dumbledore" ruined for me, but then again, who didn't?

I have a HUGE bomb about the 7th book... do you want me to post a link in french guys???

Edited by JoeLassister

I'm proud to say I didn't have "Snape kills Dumbledore" ruined for me.

I also friggin flew through the book so as to avoid something like that, haha. I probably won't get to read it until I head back out to BC in August though. Whens the 21st? Friday or Saturday?

Saturday. And I'm going away for a week on Sunday so I probably won't be able to read it until after then. I'll probably borrow my friends' copy.

I'm on lock down mode, not going near this thread, nor anything about the leaking of the books on the net when its on tv. I will not have this ruined.

I'm pretty much the same. I might be able to get it Saturday since apparently Safeway is selling it(hooray for being friends with the grocery clerks).

I won't read newspaper articles about it, threads, anything. Once Saturday arrives, I'm avoiding all things Deathly Hallows related.

God damn I'm excited.

same here. I just want to read my book and then shed a little tear and move on with life.

If I could, I'd just get my book and retire to a little shed in the middle of the Badlands outside Drumheller in the middle of nowhere.

Spoilers can't get me out there.

Well of course you can say that now that you've finished the book.

I thought the whole time, Harry was going to die. I was kind of hoping it would be him who killed Voldemort and then got to live happily ever after with Ginny but I definitely had serious doubts. I'm glad thats how it turned out though, I have to say that was a very satisfying ending to the series for me as big Potter fan. Just finished the book about 10 minutes ago.

Really?

I hated the ending seemed too perfect almost like, "I'm going to put this in here to stop sequels." Although the thing is it goes 19 years into the future. Only then did she say he was at peace and happy. What happens in those 19 years? Sequels are coming, its inevitable.

Come on seriously? I knew for a fact she was talking about Snape. The entire series has been about "the boy who lived" and now what does that mean? It means 'he lives'. Other then the cheap 19 years in the future, I completely loved the book. Hopefully they split this book into two movies, give us Potter book fans some proper justice and not cheapen the books with the movies.

What do you mean "what happened in those 19 years"? He married Ginny and had 3 kids who he named after people that he loved. Nothing more, nothing less. There won't be anymore Potter books, JKR has said this repeatedly. Theres no loose ends to be tied up and theres no reason for anymore books. If there are more, it's a cash grab, simple as that and it will cheapen what the rest of the series brought.

No you seem to be missing my point. Only then after 19 years did it say everything was good. Its not like after Voldy dies all the death eaters just go away into thin air. Somebody has to track them down. Plus wasn't he going to become an Auror. She doesn't go into anything about what either of the three do. We only know about Longbottom. Its too obvious on my part that she will do another book or "Potter Chronicles". She hasn't flatly denied it she just said maybe but not now. Come on that means yes, sometime. We've seen this a thousand times in sports. People saying they're done and then they come back. She just left too many questions un answered

No, she's flatly denied it. She did so after HBP, maybe she's changed her mind since then but I know she said after the seventh, she was done with the series for good. Maybe a spinoff about one of the other characters but anything about Harry Potter is done.

You're looking far too deep into it, the fact she said everything was fine in the epilogue is not foreshadowing or anything like that. Absolutely nothing happened to Harry in the 19 years between then and now. She won't touch on him anymore, the first 18 years of his life were immensely ######ed up and now she's going to let him live in peace. After he kills Voldemort, thats his first chance at living a normal life, no longer "The Chosen One" or anything like that. Just Harry Potter, the guy who married Ginny. The epilogue was just to give closure to the series, not to foreshadow any future events. Potter's done. We'll get that encyclopedia but thats it.

Ooooh...a look at BTH's predicitions..

What/who are the Deathly Hallows? The Deathly Hallows is the world beyond the veil where all dead people go.

Which side is Snape on? I'm convinced that he has never been loyal to Voldemort. I'm leaning more towards the idea that he's been playing both sides from the start. By the way, it never says it in the narrative but I'm quite positive Snape is currently the second greatest wizard in the world, and even then, not as far behind Voldemort as we think.

Will Harry attend Hogwarts in Book 7? No and neither will Ron and Hermione.

Is Harry or his scar a Horcrux? No.

Is Nagini a Horcrux? No.

What is the sixth Horcrux then? There is none. Voldemort intended to make Harry his sixth Horcrux but it backfired on him and killed him. It's an extremely long and complicated theory so that's all I'll say in this post.

Will Harry die? Nope, neither will Ron or Hermione.

So who will die then? One guy I could see dying is Hagrid (he'll go out with a boom) but I really think the Weasley twins will sacrifice themselves (you can bet they'd also go out with a boom). McGonagall, Lupin, Peter Pettigrew and Kingsley Shacklebolt seem like possible death candidates to me. No students.

Who are people that theoretically could die but I think will not? Tonks, Aberforth Dumbledore and Mad-Eye Moody.

Who is RAB? Regulus Black (shame on you if you didn't figure that out within 30 seconds of coming across the initials in HBP!).

Where is the real locket? In #12 Grimmauld Place as most people have already deduced with a quick re-read of Order of the Phoenix. One possibility is that Mundungus has it though - we already know he was caught stealing stuff from Sirius' old house.

1. Wrong

2. Partly right. Always been loyal to Dumbledore but not powerful or anything.

3. Right

4. Wrong

5. Wrong

6. Wrong

7. Right

8. Hagrid: Wrong

Weasley twins: One of them

McGonagall: Wrong

Lupin: Right

Pettigrew: Right

Shacklebolt: Very wrong

Tonks: Wrong (Oh, I wish you were right there BTH. Tonks was one of my favorites)

Aberforth: Right

Moody: Wrong

9. Right. I think everyone knew that though.

10. Nice call on Mundungus there BTH.

8/19, I'd say thats pretty good. Two thumbs up for BTH.

Also, this wall of black is hilarious.

I was marginally disappointed in the book - let me correct that, the book was very good, but I felt that Rowling went out of her way to make this book completely unlike the others, and I felt this a large departure from the series. You know that song, 'One of these things is not like the other'? This is it.

One thing I really have to respect, though, is that she closed the series with virtually no chance of it ever being able to reopen. The final two chapters difinitively end the Harry Potter sage, in my opinion, and leave almost no question unanswered. There was one item that really bothered me - still does - but I won't bother going into detail now. Suffice it to say, however, that her next work will not have Harry Potter as the main character.

Well, that is, of course, unless she decides to move from writing for young adults into writing for the adult market; a transformation I think she could accomplish with little struggle.

Read into that what you will.

EDIT: How do you get rid of all those blacked out comments? They irritate me. :P

Well it was very good but she never really surprised me with this book. I mean, I didn't expect everything but I'd already heard and considered every theory even if I didn't believe it. For example, I didn't think Harry was a Horcrux - but when you find out he is, you're not in complete shock like you would have been had we not had 2 years to discuss the argument. There were no "Ron's rat betrayed Harry's parents - WTF" moments that caught you completely off guard.

Same thing with Snape and Lily - I was quite sure he'd loved Lily (didn't guess all the details though) and that's why he turned on Voldemort.

So things I liked about this book:

Kreacher, Dobby and his death, Hagrid (when he jumps off the bike and tackles a Death Eater - and survives!), Snape and the Prince's Tail chapter, Potterwatch, all the new spells, George getting his ear blasted off, Grindelwald and the scene where he dies, Mrs. Weasley kills Bellatrix and uses the word "bitch", many more things...

Things I didn't like:

The epilogue felt strange, but the second time I read it I thought it was funny, the King's Cross chapter also seemed weird, the fact that Harry is a Horcrux (mainly because I didn't think he was one)... I guess that's it.

JKR is done with Harry Potter and I can't see anyone else ever making any sequels. One issue I don't think she closed was what was Dumbledore trying to do to Voldemort in their duel in the Ministry? JKR said that was significant but we never seem to find out.

*Dumbledore casts a spell*

"You do not wish to kill me Dumbledore? Above such brutality, are you?"

"I confess, merely taking your life would not satisfy me."

Maybe she hinted at it but I missed it?