The Official Deathly Hallows thread

BTH

Do yuo think that castle on the back is Hogwarts? If it is, that's interesting...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do yuo think that castle on the back is Hogwarts? If it is, that's interesting...

Don't really know... might be, but i was thinking that Harry wouldn't go back to Hogwarts. But maybe he'll quit during his 7th year...

Don't really know... might be, but i was thinking that Harry wouldn't go back to Hogwarts. But maybe he'll quit during his 7th year...

That's why it's interesting - because you'd think Hogwarts wouldn't really be in this book.

That's why it's interesting - because you'd think Hogwarts wouldn't really be in this book.

Exactly! But now, i can't wait for the the Order of the Phoenix on big screen !!!! 5th one is the really best of all.... yet...

Just saw this thread now for the first time. I am absolutely obsessed with Harry Potter. I've reread all six books over the last 2 months to prepare me for reading the 7th book. Since people are throwing out theories I have two good ones for you!

1. Snape is actually still good

Proof: As Dumbledore is on the tower in his final scene he pleads with Snape. Harry describes it as a tone he had never heard before, first he says "Severus..." then a few lines later he looks directly at Snape and pleads, "Severus, please..."

after which Snape immediately kills him with avada kedavra. Also consider that Snape was obligated to help Draco due to the unbreakble voe and it could provide the OOTP with knowledge of possible horcrux locations if Voldemort really does now trust Snape the most after killing Dumbledore. Finally recall the scene where Hagrid recounts overhearing the conversation between Dumbledore and Snape where Snape says that task he's been given is too hard and he doesn't know if he'll be able to carry it through.

2. Harry will kill Voldemort but in the process Ron will sacrafice himself to save Harry and give him a chance for victory.

Reasoning: The Weasley's have always been the doormats of the wizarding world and Ron has always played sidekick to Harry. Ron has always been a bit jealous of Harry always getting all the attention in their lives. In the final battle I can see Voldemort pinning Harry down and performing the avada kedavra curse but Ron throws himself in the way and dies so that Harry can live. This would not only make Ron a hero in his death, but it would provide an immense amount of honour on the Weasley family. After Ron sacraficed himself for Harry it would provide an even greater strength the the power that "love" provides in wizarding. As Dumbledore calls it really old magic. First his mother sacraficed herself for him and now his best friend. Harry could then use this ancient magic to finally defeat Dumbledore once and for all.

Just a few theories... I love talking about this series so now i'll have to check this thread more often in the coming week.

hehe nice, Noah. I knew there'd be atleast one other fan like myself on here.

I'm 99% sure Snape is not loyal to Voldemort but only about 50% sure that he was ever loyal to Dumbledore. I think it's very possible that Snape was never really on either side and is just playing both sides against eachother. Snape has already taken out Voldemort, now he is routing for Harry to take out Voldemort (notice how the last thing Snape ever says to Harry is instructions how to fight ("blocked again and again and again, Potter, until you learn to keep your mind closed and your mouth shut!") so that he can emerge as the true Dark Lord.

It is pretty much certain that Aberforth Dumbledore finally plays a large role in this book. We know that he is the barman in the Hog's Head but we do not know whether he ever inherited his brother's powers (Dumbledore wasn't even sure whether Aberforth knew how to read). I think he'll be the one to help Harry hunt down the Horcruxes and he'll tell us a bit about Dumbledore's ancestry in the process.

Oh, and I'm sure the trio go back to Hogwarts (not to go to school but something will go on there - the Final Battle would be cool) and they will communicate with Dumbledore's portrait in the Headmaster's office.

Interesting theory about the role of Dumbledore's brother but somehow I just dont see it happening. There is definitly going to be some method of conversation between Dumbledore past and Harry. I've read some interesting theories involving Dumbledore's Phoenix that are really intriguing.

Interesting theory about the role of Dumbledore's brother but somehow I just dont see it happening. There is definitly going to be some method of conversation between Dumbledore past and Harry. I've read some interesting theories involving Dumbledore's Phoenix that are really intriguing.

Well if you're talking about Aberforth being the barman in the Hog's Head, JKR pretty much confirmed it. It's fact.

She also said there is an Order member that we haven't met yet properly. Who else could it be? And why would they include a brother for Dumbledore in the story, if he serves no real purpose? I'm sure he's going to have a bigger role in the final book - not sure what he'll do though.

Well if you're talking about Aberforth being the barman in the Hog's Head, JKR pretty much confirmed it. It's fact.

She also said there is an Order member that we haven't met yet properly. Who else could it be? And why would they include a brother for Dumbledore in the story, if he serves no real purpose? I'm sure he's going to have a bigger role in the final book - not sure what he'll do though.

I like that.

I read something in the paper today, found it interesting and every other HP fan should too.

The producers were going to cut one of the new characters for the 5th movie and talked to JKR about it. She said they could if they wanted to but once they got to the 7th movie, they'd be REALLY, REALLY screwed story-wise.

3 characters are making their debut. Luna, Umbridge and Bellatrix. Take it for what you will, I personally think she means Luna.

I read something in the paper today, found it interesting and every other HP fan should too.

The producers were going to cut one of the new characters for the 5th movie and talked to JKR about it. She said they could if they wanted to but once they got to the 7th movie, they'd be REALLY, REALLY screwed story-wise.

3 characters are making their debut. Luna, Umbridge and Bellatrix. Take it for what you will, I personally think she means Luna.

Hell no Bellatrix all the way did you read the 6th ?

yah I agree I think that the character in question is bellatrix lestrange. JKR has elluded to her playing a significant role in book 7 on top of the fact that she was directly responsible for Sirius' death. The fact that Sirius' own cousin was the one to kill him brings too much to the story to possibly have been left out.

While its possible to have been Luna it most definitly was not Umbridge as the 5th book revolved around her role at Hogwarts, it would be impossible to remove her from the movies.

yah I agree I think that the character in question is bellatrix lestrange. JKR has elluded to her playing a significant role in book 7 on top of the fact that she was directly responsible for Sirius' death. The fact that Sirius' own cousin was the one to kill him brings too much to the story to possibly have been left out.

While its possible to have been Luna it most definitly was not Umbridge as the 5th book revolved around her role at Hogwarts, it would be impossible to remove her from the movies.

I don't see how it isn't Luna. You can't cut Bellatrix and Umbridge from the 5th movie, they're both big parts of the story in the 5th book (and Bellatrix gains a bigger role in the 6th book). It's pretty much impossible to cut either of those two.

Oh wait, isn't Tonks being introduced in the 5th movie as well? It could be her.

The thing with Bellatrix is that her role could easily have been played by "Joe Death Eater" and the story wouldn't be that much different. Sure she's the one that tortured Neville's parents, and she escaped from azkaban and she was at the ministry for the battle over the prophecy. But the reality is that in the movie those roles could have been generic and it wouldn't have changed the story that much.

The thing with Bellatrix is that her role could easily have been played by "Joe Death Eater" and the story wouldn't be that much different. Sure she's the one that tortured Neville's parents, and she escaped from azkaban and she was at the ministry for the battle over the prophecy. But the reality is that in the movie those roles could have been generic and it wouldn't have changed the story that much.

Thats not cutting her though, thats replacing her. You cut her, you cut any storyline she's a part of. Considering she's the reason for Sirius's death, thats a little hard to do.

no no my point is that her role in book 5 could be done by a variety of "extras". When I say that I mean that the important part of her scene is not that she is in fact in it but the resulting action.

For example does the move change so much if she kills Sirius or if some unidentified Death Eater kills Sirius.

Thats not cutting her though, thats replacing her. You cut her, you cut any storyline she's a part of. Considering she's the reason for Sirius's death, thats a little hard to do.

well, with all the efforts made in the "Luna Lovegood" casting (think over 1000 young girls tried the casting for Luna) I can't see how the producers thought about cutting the character... maybe Tonks is the one yeah...

no no my point is that her role in book 5 could be done by a variety of "extras". When I say that I mean that the important part of her scene is not that she is in fact in it but the resulting action.

For example does the move change so much if she kills Sirius or if some unidentified Death Eater kills Sirius.

The 5th one may not change as much but it sure would impact the 6th and the producers wouldn't have to phone JKR to find that out.

well, with all the efforts made in the "Luna Lovegood" casting (think over 1000 young girls tried the casting for Luna) I can't see how the producers thought about cutting the character... maybe Tonks is the one yeah...

The decision-making for character cuts and whatnot all happens in the pre-production of the movie, that all would've been decided at the VERY beginning of production, probably at the same time the script was being written. Casting comes a little later so by the time they were going to cast the part, they would've known how important she is to the story. If they did a rigorous casting schedule for her part, that only strengthens my point further.

Can't Harry converse with Dumbledore through Snape's wand now? I mean, didn't he converse with his parents with Captain V's wand during one of their battles? Seems to be the basis for Farber's theory of Snape - he killed Dumblebums at the victim's pleading so that Snape could better infiltrate Voldybaby's crew and therefore aid Harry in the epic battle. The bonus is that Dumblebore will be able to still contact Harry with information from the wand.

that actually sounds realistic. (hey colin! *waves*)

I am of the opinion Snape has always been 'good' plus he still owes Potter a life debt I believe if I'm not mistaken.

Snape is a spy for Dumby

Also the Phoenix might be able to do something and I heard that portal thingy Sirius gave to Harry will make a return.

The Phoenix will aid in battles. That's my guess.

that actually sounds realistic. (hey colin! *waves*)

I am of the opinion Snape has always been 'good' plus he still owes Potter a life debt I believe if I'm not mistaken.

Snape is a spy for Dumby

Also the Phoenix might be able to do something and I heard that portal thingy Sirius gave to Harry will make a return.

The Phoenix will aid in battles. That's my guess.

While I do agree that Snape is likely still on the 'good' side here he does not owe Potter a life debt. The person in question is Wormtail who owes Harry a debt for sparing his life in book 3. The interesting scenario would be Harry having to trust Snape and vice versa given all the animosity between them.

I've also heard that the mirror Sirius gave to Harry will play some role, but I also (as mentioned above) believe that the picture in the headmasters office will be important as well.

As to Colin, I dont think the wands can link as they did between Harry and Voldemort in this scenario. I believe the reason the wands connected was because they were made from essentially the same core. There are no (as far as we know) similarities between Harry and Snape's wands so I doubt that could happen.

The 5th one may not change as much but it sure would impact the 6th and the producers wouldn't have to phone JKR to find that out.

The decision-making for character cuts and whatnot all happens in the pre-production of the movie, that all would've been decided at the VERY beginning of production, probably at the same time the script was being written. Casting comes a little later so by the time they were going to cast the part, they would've known how important she is to the story. If they did a rigorous casting schedule for her part, that only strengthens my point further.

well maybe, but don't forget the fact that Luna is important in the book : she can see the sombrals, the meeting in the train, his father own The Quibbler and Harry tell his story in there, she's in the Dumbledore army, she goes to the final battle, etc... while Bellatrix appears like 2 times in the whole book... I can't see how they thought about cutting Luna...

Hate to sound like the big HP nerd here but I can answer all your guys' questions with fact. (Thestrals, Joe, not sombrals!)

My sister (who also follows Harry Potter pretty closely) told me that the character was

Kreacher

And I never bothered to look it up but it makes a lot of sense. I'll explain something that could have happened quickly.

The locket is at #12 Grimmauld place and RAB is Regulus Black. These are things that JKR knew that most fans would figure out during the 2 years (or whatever it was) between Half-Blood Prince and the seventh instalment - they have plenty of time to read and re-read the books during that time and she knows how rabid her fanbase is.

So what could have happened? RAB found the locket Horcrux but how could he do it alone? Dumbledore needed Harry to feed him the potion. So Regulus could have brought along his loyal house-elf, bound to do whatever he orders him to do, cross the boat with him (remember, the boat only registers overage wizards - if it couldn't detect Harry, it can't detect a house-elf) and Kreacher could have fed him the potion, or more likely, he fed Kreacher the potion (which could also be said to be what made him so crazy). They extinguised the portion of Voldemort's soul and left the Horcrux lying around at Grimmauld Place (maybe Regulus died before he could get rid of it - not that he needed to, Dumbledore kept the ring).

The above is all speculation but I put it in Spoiler because it gives away the name of the character that would be important in Book Seven.

Can't Harry converse with Dumbledore through Snape's wand now? I mean, didn't he converse with his parents with Captain V's wand during one of their battles? Seems to be the basis for Farber's theory of Snape - he killed Dumblebums at the victim's pleading so that Snape could better infiltrate Voldybaby's crew and therefore aid Harry in the epic battle. The bonus is that Dumblebore will be able to still contact Harry with information from the wand.

No, he couldn't. The Priori Incantatem only worked because Harry and Voldemort's wands were "brothers" made from the tail feathers of the same Phoenix (I think it was Faulkes, but I'm not sure if they ever actually said that - it could be from just any random Phoenix). To each wand there is a counterpart, a perfect opposite. Harry and Voldemort can't kill fight against eachother because their spells clash against eachother, the phenomenon witnessed at the end of GoF takes place.

Harry and Snape's wands are not opposite so, as seen at the end of HBP, they can easily fight against eachother without anything happening. Of course, we can later find out that another character we know has Snape's brother-wand, but I doubt it.

Dumbledore's portrait will be hanging in Hogwarts - every past Headmaster's portrait hangs there. That seems to be the only way Harry can communicate with Dumbledore (I wonder how the two-way mirrors will come back into play though) and I think (/know) that Harry will use that portrait.

@PTG: I'll whip out my copy of HBP and give you a quote:

Fawkes had stopped singing.

And he knew, without knowing how he knew it, that the phoenix had gone, had left Hogwarts for good, just as Dumbledore had left the school, had left the world ... had left Harry.

It would be cool if Faulkes came back but I don't think it'll happen.

Is it possible that Dumblesnore and Snape's wands are opposites and Harry uses Dumblegore's wand and therefore is able to use the Priori I-Can't-Win spell with Snape's assistance in order to glean special infodata?