What to do with Ryder?

lazy26

Ryder has, one again, filed for arbitration. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that either Ryder is greedy, or that he doesn't really want to stay in Montreal. I know he's a great natural scorer, but I don't want to see him leave without receiving anything in return.

We could:

1 - Sign him for a year

2- Sign him for multiple years

3 - Trade him before the season starts

4 - Trade him at the trade deadline

PS - I tried to put this in a poll. It didn't work, and I posted 2 threads somehow. Mods, please remove 1. :D

Edited by lazy26

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with JMMR. A lot of people under value his contribution to this team.

true, but alot of people over value his contribution to the team as well.

Let's face it, a decent player should get 30 goals playing on the top PP unit and first line of any team.

In fact at least 20 NHL teams have one player from the first line with 30 goals some have multiple (30 NHL'ers with at least 30 goals this past season). Maybe he should have more, that is all he brings to the table afterall ala Souray. Kostitsyn would have more goals with that kind of ice time and I'd bet anything on it.

What happened to the Ryder that hit everything and worked hard every shift during his rookie season?

I say move him asap for help elsewhere. Part of a package or one for one, I don't really care. His contract B.S. every year is getting old. Make it somone else's headache

Edited by Habitforming

Option 2, if it fails, option 3, if it fails trade him during the season in a blockbuster trade of some sort, but not close to the deadline as his value will go down as his ufa status gets closer.

I'd say sign him, if you can upgrade the team by trading him then do it, but don't just dump him for nothing

exactly. as much as ppl say he didn't bring a lot else to the table, whether i agree or not, we NEED those goals...

Absolutely. That is the big question mark for me with this upcoming year, the Canadiens desperately lack scoring, even more so with Souray's PP goals gone, and neither Smolinski, Hamrlik or Kostopoulos will improve the team much in that department.

But he's too hard to sign. This does not suggest a player who wants to be here for the long haul. I like him, but he is also a rare commodity on the Habs - desirable trade bait who isn't a hot prospect like Kostityn or Price. So unless you get a strong signal that he wants to commit, move him.

But he's too hard to sign. This does not suggest a player who wants to be here for the long haul. I like him, but he is also a rare commodity on the Habs - desirable trade bait who isn't a hot prospect like Kostityn or Price. So unless you get a strong signal that he wants to commit, move him.

Fine, move him, but move him for something GOOD. We don't need any more 3rd or 4th line pluggers. We need solid D or big left wingers, or big top line centers... there's no point trading Ryder for more players we already have enough of.

Absolutely. That is the big question mark for me with this upcoming year, the Canadiens desperately lack scoring, even more so with Souray's PP goals gone, and neither Smolinski, Hamrlik or Kostopoulos will improve the team much in that department.

Kostopoulos??? Good God...there goes $900K. What about the rookies Bob?!?!?

Has to be a trade brewing here...has to be!

Souray won't really have a huge impact on the PP productivity. All his departure does is change the PP playbook (albeit drastically) This was the only year in his hockey life he reached the 60 point mark.(including minor hockey)

Instead of the team making passes until Souray was open for the point shot, the play will likely be down low and out to the point when another option is needed. It isn't like his shot was so hard that no one could see it to stop it, he only scored on about 10% of his shots.

It was hard, but the key point was accurate and always on the net. Maybe Hamrlik can hit the net often enough. Maybe now with Shelly gone Markov decides to start shooting again (that would be nice)...who knows really?

To say the PP will suck now is not right. It just has to have a new set of plays.

Edited by Habitforming

What to do with Ryder, hmm...

Starts with 'T', rhymes with 'raid'.

Option 2, then turn around and make him part of a package for offense - option 3. The two options consecutively, because on a one-year contract his 'trade-ability' goes down.

I don't think people understand...we lacked scoring...he was our leading scorer. So lets trade him for more D help? He's hard to sign, because he's not getting what he's due. In a day and age of people getting more than they're worth, some players who want whats fair get coined 'hard to sign'.

I think you're dreaming if you think Sourays PP production will be easily replaced, but thats whats great about this site, is the different views.

Certainly going to be an interesting season!

Is it September yet?

I don't think people understand...we lacked scoring...he was our leading scorer. So lets trade him for more D help? He's hard to sign, because he's not getting what he's due. In a day and age of people getting more than they're worth, some players who want whats fair get coined 'hard to sign'.

I think you're dreaming if you think Sourays PP production will be easily replaced, but thats whats great about this site, is the different views.

Certainly going to be an interesting season!

Is it September yet?

I didn't say replaced...that can't be done with what we have.

I said the plays would have to be changed to suit our strengths (which is now not a big point shot)

It's up to Carbo to adjust...if he can't he will be sterb082.gif

Edited by Habitforming

Lest we forget:

We were the best (?) PP team in the whole League!

And that helped us...not make the playoffs!

Obviously a simplifying view, but what I'm saying is, if some PP efficiency is to be sacrificed for better 5 on 5 play, and therefore a better shot at the playoffs (never mind winning a round), so be it.

Aside from that, I think Bob is slowly changing the whole lookout of the team toward more 'rounded' players. Ryder has one real asset, so...try to sign him and them package him for offense.

I think one of the issues last year was that Souray was so effective on the PP that the whole PP strategy was feed the point, feed the point. Even on 5-3 situations, we didn't see the side door pass to Ryder or Kovalev like we saw the previous year... it was still feed the point. With Souray gone, the PP strategy will need to change and I think we'll see alot more PP production from Ryder and Kovy.

Trade him.

Next question?

Could not agree more. Why invest in a guy that refuses to invest in you. Only signing one year contracts year after year shows what he is really about.

He is waiting to cash in. He could have signed a deal 2,3 years ago that would have gotten him to his UFA year but he is soaking us for every cent he can get.

The guy has got continual raises even though his numbers have not gone up.

OVERRATED. Now lets hope another GM overrates him as well. Trade him Bob. Don't let him walk next season.

I think the writing is on the wall. He deserves what he deserves but his stonewalling year after year ALMOST demonstrates a desire to leave town.

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

I'm sure Gainey is getting tired of this. It's possible he may have trade or signing errands to attend to but has to put them on the back burner, year after year while dealing with Ryder's demands.

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS MICHAEL.