What to do with Ryder?

lazy26

No way I'd pay Ryder more than 3 million. He's a totally one dimensional player and only scores 30 goals because he gets so much ice time.

Unfortunately Fanpuck33. Where you have common sense, the arbitrator usually HAS NONE! A 5 per reward wouldn't shock me, nor please me either.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately Fanpuck33. Where you have common sense, the arbitrator usually HAS NONE! A 5 per reward wouldn't shock me, nor please me either.

my worry is the arbitrator's salary ends up being too high and it makes him hard to trade. Think about it, one year to UFA, high salary, a team that wants him might just wait until next year to get him. I say offer him a good multi-year deal before arbitratation, and if he doesn't take it, trade him before arbitration. Otherwise, you have three scenarios:

a- praying for the best, arbitrator offers him something we can live with and we accept, either keep or trade him

b- arbitrator decides a high salary and we walk away, losing him for NOTHING

c - arbitrator decides a high salary and we accept, but then are unable to trade him because of the high salary and the fact that he's UFA next year...

I'd rather sign him or trade him BEFORE arbitration so we can avoid the above a/b/c... chances are it'll be b or c, not a, so....

Edited by ShortHanded

Which is why I think he'll be awarded 3.5. Arbitrators do usually overpay players, but not by 2 million. The arbitrator is gonna look hard at a guy like Horton, who just signed for 4 million a year. Ryder put up lesser offensive numbers and isn't close to be as complete a player as Horton. No way any arbitrator is gonna award Ryder with 5 million.

Last year J.P. Dumont was $2.9-million up from the $1.596-million the year before. That's 180%. Apply 180 hike to Ryder and it's 4 million up from 2.2

DUMONT:

2006-07 Nashville NHL 82 21 45 66 +14 28 143 14.69

2005-06 Buffalo NHL 54 20 20 40 -1 38 116 17.24

RYDER:

2006-07 Montreal NHL 82 30 28 58 -25 60 221 13.57

So, 20 and 20 with a minus 1 got Dumont a 180% raise. I hope you're right Fanpuck33. Ryder's (-24) will help lower it...maybe

STUPID ARBITRATORS

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

DUMONT:

2005-06 Buffalo NHL 54 20 20 40 -1 38 116 17.24

RYDER:

2006-07 Montreal NHL 82 30 28 58 -25 60 221 13.57

You're overlooking a very important stat there, games played. Sure, Dumont only got 40 points, but he only played 54 games. In terms of points per game, he improved his play. He also plays a better all around game, with speed and defence. Ryder, on the other hand, put up almost identical offensive numbers as the last two seasons and saw little to no improvement in his overall game. Heck, Dumont had a better points per game average in 05-06 than Ryder did in 06-07. Also, Dumont had 7 years of NHL service going into arbitration, Ryder only has 3.

I see no reason why Ryder should get more than 3 million in arbitration, but wouldn't be shocked if he saw as high as 3.5. Arbitration isn't really about percentages of raises, it's about comparing a player to other NHL players and trying to give out a salary in line with similar players. Offensively, Ryder and Dumont are similar, but Dumont is a better overall player with more experience. Ryder has no business getting a higher award than Dumont, except for rising salaries around the league as the cap increases.

As far as I know, when a player goes to arbitration he can only be signed on a one year contract.

Ryder is good trade bait but he's a guy we want to upgrade and only upgrade.

I'd be shocked if Gainey signed Ryder to a multi-year deal and traded him anytime soon. Gainey just can't do that without making his name mud among players.

I imagine Gainey was shopping Ryder pretty heavily before the draft - he knew this was coming - and will continue to shop him before the arbitration hearing via a transaction conditional on Ryder agreeing to a contract with the new team before arbitration arrives. Unfortunately, I can't imagine his value under these circumstances being as high as it was before the draft, but maybe now that the UFA blitz is over, he might find takers.

Can Ryder withdraw his arbitration request, making a sign-and-trade more possible? Or is that not permitted?

For example, SJ will deal Marleau to us for Ryder, Plecks and draft choice/d-prospect (Fisher), but only if Ryder is signed long-term, 3-4 years. (Just an example, mind)

Can Ryder withdraw his arbitration request, making a sign-and-trade more possible? Or is that not permitted?

For example, SJ will deal Marleau to us for Ryder, Plecks and draft choice/d-prospect (Fisher), but only if Ryder is signed long-term, 3-4 years. (Just an example, mind)

I'm pretty sure a player can cancel their arbitration request.

Yes he can he did it last year.

Ah, I remember the famous quote, "If Ryder ever makes it on the habs's squad, I'll eat my hat".

Too bad we can't trade him for Dumont.

I've seen alot of stupid comments turned into quotes on this board.

I remember last season arguing with "Komisarek the cruncher" that thought Curtis Sanford was the next big goaltending prospect and suggested the Blues were going to stay with him as a number one goalie...

"The clueless as spoken !!! Why be an arrogant prick, I didn't say anything insulting. What? as soon as somebody says opposite of what you said you feel insulted? Mr. is sensitive? Mr. as feelings?

You apparently don't know Sanford for saying such stupidities.

St-Louis is not looking for a goalie (every fuc...ng rumor says so and none are sending a goalie to ST-Louis). Can't wait to see how a fool you will look when they start the season with Sanford and Bacashihua. "

The Blues picked up Legace and he was the number one for the first and every game of the season LOL

The Blues let him walk this season after not even qualifying him.

But who said that about Ryder?

Edited by Habitforming

Ryder has, one again, filed for arbitration. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that either Ryder is greedy, or that he doesn't really want to stay in Montreal.

The guy is a 2 time 30 goal scorer. He's not f**cking greedy. Hes the only consistent scoring threat this team has had over the last 3 years, and the team has been pretty shitty in terms of guys helping him out. He's also been remarkably healthy for a guy that stands out front of the net for one timers.

If he doesn't get a fair offer, than its his right in the CBA to file for arbitration.

Atleast he isn't a Mike Peca or Alexi Yashin who holds out for a trade or better contract.

And with the contracts these dumb ass GM's are handing out, Mike Ryder deserves a raise, as a 2 time 30 goal scorer.

Why is Briere worth $7 + million for 8 years when he's had 1 95 point season and never lead his team to a Stanley CUp.

Surely if Ryan Smyth is worth $6.5 Million and never had more than a 70 point season, and is just a 30 goal scorer, than it would seem to me that Mike Ryder is worth around $3 Million.

Lets get off Michael Ryder's back before him and his 30 goals leave Montreal and we lose the last consistant scoring threat we have

The guy is a 2 time 30 goal scorer. He's not f**cking greedy. Hes the only consistent scoring threat this team has had over the last 3 years, and the team has been pretty shitty in terms of guys helping him out. He's also been remarkably healthy for a guy that stands out front of the net for one timers.

If he doesn't get a fair offer, than its his right in the CBA to file for arbitration.

Atleast he isn't a Mike Peca or Alexi Yashin who holds out for a trade or better contract.

And with the contracts these dumb ass GM's are handing out, Mike Ryder deserves a raise, as a 2 time 30 goal scorer.

Why is Briere worth $7 + million for 8 years when he's had 1 95 point season and never lead his team to a Stanley CUp.

Surely if Ryan Smyth is worth $6.5 Million and never had more than a 70 point season, and is just a 30 goal scorer, than it would seem to me that Mike Ryder is worth around $3 Million.

Lets get off Michael Ryder's back before him and his 30 goals leave Montreal and we lose the last consistant scoring threat we have

I would love to trade him for something consistent.

His totals are consistent, but his play is not. He should (with effort every game) have 40 goals or more. He just doesn't show up as much anymore. I want the rookie version of Ryder back!

I would love to trade him for something consistent.

His totals are consistent, but his play is not. He should (with effort every game) have 40 goals or more. He just doesn't show up as much anymore. I want the rookie version of Ryder back!

Maybe he doesn't show up for a team that takes him to arbitration every season. I mean, C'Mon! I wouldn't want to put out effort everynight for a team that insisits on giving me the bare minimum every season...while overpaying guys like Kovalev! The habs should do the right thing here, pay him what he deserves or send him somewhere where they will.

Maybe he doesn't show up for a team that takes him to arbitration every season. I mean, C'Mon! I wouldn't want to put out effort everynight for a team that insisits on giving me the bare minimum every season...while overpaying guys like Kovalev! The habs should do the right thing here, pay him what he deserves or send him somewhere where they will.

Arbitrators almost always favor the player, that's hardly "bare minimum." He wants more money than he is worth, that's why the Habs have been forced into arbitration or near arbitration with him.

His rookie year, I was his biggest supporter. I was listening to preseason games and I kept hearing "a shot by Ryder." I was thrilled to have a guy on a team who actually shot the puck. He was really the only guy on the team who didn't seem afraid to shoot. However, he's shown no improvement since his rookie year and the team now has guys like Latendresse and Kostitsyn and Kovalev who shoot a lot. Ryder doesn't serve a big purpose on the team anymore, so they have no reason to reward him with a big longterm deal.

Ryder takes the team to arbitration. Only Roberto Luongo has been taken by his team to arbitration (by Florida, coming out of the lockout).

St-Louis is not looking for a goalie (every fuc...ng rumor says so and none are sending a goalie to ST-Louis). Can't wait to see how a fool you will look when they start the season with Sanford and Bacashihua. "

Sanford signed with the Canucks.

Not sign our leading scorer? Where well we replace the offense?

Marleau. a rumour I believe is true

Season Totals: 2006-07 77 32 46 78 +9 33 180 17.78

The hold up on the trade is probably Wilson wanting Komi or Higgy's or similar players BOb does not want to part with.

Sign him for another " one year contract " ?

Sounds like a junkie looking for his next fix.

If Bob found a taker for Sammy, he can do it for Ryder.

Haha you know what other team needs a goal scorer? The habs!

I swear....our biggest problem last year was scoring. So everyone wants to make it worse, by removing our top goal scorer. I'm sorry I can't subscribe to this madness!

Everyone talks about "if Ryder had this much effort everynight he'd have X goals". How do you know? I watched most of the games last year and I liked what I saw from Ryder. I think it's SELFISH of management and some people on the board to say

"here take these scraps...we know you're worth more, but...you're a 7th rounder, you should be happy with what you get."

I swear thats the feeling I get from some people, they think he's a piece of trash.