The Official TV Thread

jetsniper

I might be a little late, but I just started season 1 of Heroes on DVD. Looks good. :lol:

You can stop there when you're done.

Temper your expectations, as season 1 is the best season. That's not to say the other seasons are bad, but they tend to lack a cohesive vision. I still watch the show every week, but I don't look forward to it like I did that first season.

No, they are.

Temper your expectations, as season 1 is the best season. That's not to say the other seasons are bad, but they tend to lack a cohesive vision. I still watch the show every week, but I don't look forward to it like I did that first season.

It's ok. I'm not crazy about it, but as a long time Scrubs fan, I'll keep watching. I liked the girl who is taking over the daydreams, but I didn't really like either of the two new male characters. James Franco's little brother's character is just a tool. Cox and Kelso were always "jerky" characters, but in a likeable way. Not this new guy. The Aussie med student needs more screen time.

+1

I don't know if Scrubs will have legs once JD is gone. I find it's lost a lot with the Janitor, Ted and Elliot gone, and I'm not sure how badly it will suck if it loses any other main characters.

I'm waiting for Franco Jr.'s character to contract an embarrassing STD and maybe be killed off lol.

+1

I don't know if Scrubs will have legs once JD is gone. I find it's lost a lot with the Janitor, Ted and Elliot gone, and I'm not sure how badly it will suck if it loses any other main characters.

I'm waiting for Franco Jr.'s character to contract an embarrassing STD and maybe be killed off lol.

Yeah, I think missing much of the supporting cast will be the show's downfall. They are what made the show an awesome one, as opposed to average. Janitor has his own show now, so he won't be making anything more than an occasional appearance. Tonight's episode tagline regards Kelso saying goodbye to Ted and Gooch, so Ted apparently won't be around any more. The Todd is still around, but hasn't been as funny since ABC toned him down. Carla is also missed, and the explanation of why she's not on the show is totally bogus. Bill Lawrence said they wanted her back, but didn't think it made sense for her to be hanging around med students, so they didn't invite her back. The med students are involved in the hospital, so there's no reason why Carla couldn't be around. And while I'm ok with JD's limited screen time, I don't know how well Turk's character will fare without his best buddy around.

No, they are.

They each have some high points, but as I mention, lack an overall focus. The second season was overall the weakest. Season 3 started out well, but then started to meander and then the ending just didn't seem natural. This season has been good, I think, hopefully they can give us a solid ending this time around.

Heroes started a slow downward trend from the season 1 finale and on. Season 2 was a large step down and season 3 was even worse but I stuck it out hoping it would get better. It didn't, the show is nearly unwatchable now and the whole crew is under the impression this is their last season for a reason. Not to mention hardly anyone on the show can act.

It's weird that firing Jeph Loeb actually made the product worse. The man is a hack (sorry Colin but he hasn't done anything good in ages. He's turned Hulk into a joke and the Hulk has never had good writing to begin with!). But since the beginning of season 2, Heroes is seriously one of the worst written shows on television. Can't stand it anymore just like any other comic nerd.

I think Heroes would have done much better in a cable TV format, 13 episode seasons. As it is, the stories tend to drag out too long and people lose interest. They supposedly tried cutting last season into two "volumes," but it was the same basic storyline the entire time. A shorter season would force them to get from point A to point B and wouldn't allow for as many random side stories. Then again, even when they did have a short season, they managed to meander. They brought in too many characters that just didn't go anywhere. That's one reason I think this season has been stronger than the last two - the characters they've introduced actually seem to serve a purpose.

You can't always look at the quality of a show's final season and say that is the reason it was canceled. Enterprise is a great example of that. It's 3rd season was a total suckfest and the only reason they went to season 4 was so they could make it into syndication right away. The fourth season was very good, but the writing was already on the wall from the previous season and it was done. I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been canceled last year and knew this would be the last unless suddenly millions of people came back to the show.

Heroes overloaded with characters and became bloated. Premise was great, handling of said premise got worse and worse. Loeb is indeed losing his edge. I think it's because he's doing way too much. Round it down to an even million projects every week and he becomes readable. If he could get it down so a reasonable rate - like 2 comic projects? And he'd be fantastic again. He doesn't think about his stories anymore, he just mass produces.

And, not on the TV topic but the comic one (for Jets) Matt Fraction is doing a great job right now. But if he picks up any more, I suspect he's going to start to nosedive as well. This has always been comics biggest problem. Either they over-extend writers to the point where it's just hack nonsense (I don't suppose you remember when John Byrne wrote pretty much everything that came out - or that's how it seemed), or they allow artists to take full control - guys who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag.

Guess it must be next week's Scrubs that's about Ted and the Gooch. Really liked tonight's episode. Cole is still a dislikable tool, but Drew is growing on me. Still want more of the Aussie chick. I'm also liking the security guard, love that guy from the Miller High Life commercials.

Oh, and more than a horse loves a rainbow!

You can't always look at the quality of a show's final season and say that is the reason it was canceled.

Oh, well, I didn't mean it that way. It should've been canned after season 2 but that was the year the strike killed it halfway through plus it's ratings were strong. With the way NBC is these days, they can't afford to ditch a show like that. I haven't been keeping track but I think the show has been bleeding viewers since season 1 though.

Heroes overloaded with characters and became bloated. Premise was great, handling of said premise got worse and worse. Loeb is indeed losing his edge. I think it's because he's doing way too much. Round it down to an even million projects every week and he becomes readable. If he could get it down so a reasonable rate - like 2 comic projects? And he'd be fantastic again. He doesn't think about his stories anymore, he just mass produces.

And, not on the TV topic but the comic one (for Jets) Matt Fraction is doing a great job right now. But if he picks up any more, I suspect he's going to start to nosedive as well. This has always been comics biggest problem. Either they over-extend writers to the point where it's just hack nonsense (I don't suppose you remember when John Byrne wrote pretty much everything that came out - or that's how it seemed), or they allow artists to take full control - guys who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag.

Haha, I've been meaning to tell you about Fraction. One of my favourite new writers, Invincible Iron Man has been the best series going this year. He's on X-Men too but I don't read that one, only X series I read right now is X-Force. Oh and X-Factor.

Byrne is before my time but I am aware he was everywhere, my uncle and cousin are both comic nerds too who are both years older then me, I've heard complaints. Mark Millar is another guy these days who is good in doses but just seems like he's everywhere and his writing gets watered down. Civil War gets a lot of crap but as you know, I thought it was wonderful. I've heard rumours since the Disney merger that Pixar might adapt that storyline which would be awesome. Brian Michael Bendis is another one that comes to mind.

I wish there were more then a couple comic fans here, an actual thread would be nice.

Haha, I've been meaning to tell you about Fraction. One of my favourite new writers, Invincible Iron Man has been the best series going this year. He's on X-Men too but I don't read that one, only X series I read right now is X-Force. Oh and X-Factor.

X-Men is at least reasonable because of his writing. I used to love everything X, but since there's no real continuity anymore, it's just a chaotic mess. On the other hand, you hit the nail on the head with the two great X series. Force and Factor - Peter David is awesome... and a cool guy! Met him in SD - are both very well done.

Byrne is before my time but I am aware he was everywhere, my uncle and cousin are both comic nerds too who are both years older then me, I've heard complaints. Mark Millar is another guy these days who is good in doses but just seems like he's everywhere and his writing gets watered down. Civil War gets a lot of crap but as you know, I thought it was wonderful. I've heard rumours since the Disney merger that Pixar might adapt that storyline which would be awesome. Brian Michael Bendis is another one that comes to mind.

Poor Byrne. When he started putting his stuff out there, it was awesome. Everyone wanted him more. Then when he got to 7 or 8 regular series a month, plus minis, plus graphics, plus, plus, plus... well it all just broke down. And I kid you not, 7-8 reg series a month. He was with Marvel, DC, doing his own stuff, on and on yadda yadda.

Mark Millar started out really well with that Old Man Wolverine stuff, great concept. Unfortunately, I felt it flatlined near the end. Too predictable and ... silly.

I wish there were more then a couple comic fans here, an actual thread would be nice.

Ditto. People don't know what they're missing. It's the most underrated medium out there. Oh sure there's more than a few bombs, but then, most TV, most movies, and most books are the same. Find the ones you like and enjoy. You don't even have to be a superhero fan to really enjoy comics. I'm disappointed about the Bone marketing - they are saying it's directed at kids. Nodda chance. When he wrote that, it was for everyone. The story is intelligent and entertaining.

Or, read a Vertigo comic if you want to really think. Fantastic stuff there. Maus by Art Spiegleman was written as a way for the author to understand his father and the survival of the Holicaust. Hellboy is horror based on actual myths. It goes on and on. Unfortunately, people don't give comics a chance anymore - and to be honest, the biggest comics tend to blow it for the whole industry at times (such as the disastrous job across the X books in general).

Oh, well, I didn't mean it that way. It should've been canned after season 2 but that was the year the strike killed it halfway through plus it's ratings were strong. With the way NBC is these days, they can't afford to ditch a show like that. I haven't been keeping track but I think the show has been bleeding viewers since season 1 though.

Yeah, I think it's ratings were already starting to drop towards the end of season one. The success of that first season is the only reason it's lasted this long, it's ratings haven't been good for a long time. I think a combination of what Colin and I said is the biggest reason - it got bloated with too many characters and many of those new characters didn't do anything of significance and added nothing to the story. For example, what was the purpose of Micah's cousin in New Orleans? They gave her a lot of screen time and then did nothing with her. And what about Molly? She just vanished without a mention. Oh, and bringing back characters from the dead by saying there were triplets was just stupid.

X-Men is at least reasonable because of his writing. I used to love everything X, but since there's no real continuity anymore, it's just a chaotic mess. On the other hand, you hit the nail on the head with the two great X series. Force and Factor - Peter David is awesome... and a cool guy! Met him in SD - are both very well done.

Again, some of Marvel's best series out right now. Loved the cover of the X-Force one shot for Necrosha. Nice nod to The Lost Boys.

Mark Millar started out really well with that Old Man Wolverine stuff, great concept. Unfortunately, I felt it flatlined near the end. Too predictable and ... silly.

That mega-delayed Giant size which ended it was the only weak issue, I thought. I agree that it was silly, he went too much over the top with Logan's revenge. Like he was eating the Hulks at one point. What the hell.

Ditto. People don't know what they're missing. It's the most underrated medium out there. Oh sure there's more than a few bombs, but then, most TV, most movies, and most books are the same. Find the ones you like and enjoy. You don't even have to be a superhero fan to really enjoy comics. I'm disappointed about the Bone marketing - they are saying it's directed at kids. Nodda chance. When he wrote that, it was for everyone. The story is intelligent and entertaining.

Or, read a Vertigo comic if you want to really think. Fantastic stuff there. Maus by Art Spiegleman was written as a way for the author to understand his father and the survival of the Holicaust. Hellboy is horror based on actual myths. It goes on and on. Unfortunately, people don't give comics a chance anymore - and to be honest, the biggest comics tend to blow it for the whole industry at times (such as the disastrous job across the X books in general).

Comics are too quickly associated with superheroes, I don't think people realize thats only a genre for the medium. Obviously it's the most ridiculously popular genre but like you said, there is other stuff out there if superheroes aren't your thing. I try to atleast read a couple series every year that aren't Batman/Spider-Man/Iron Man etc etc just to help inspire my own creativity and broaden my horizons. If I ever decide to venture into the comic book world (considering it right now at the very least) then I don't want to end up doing the same old stuff. Vertigo, like you mentioned, is really good. Incognito is one series I read this year, always got great reviews but I think its sales were in the tank.

Oh, and bringing back characters from the dead by saying there were triplets was just stupid.

Oh man, that shit really pissed me off. I thought the series would take a turn for the better by losing Ali Larter's lame acting but then she appears again to find out she's a triplet. So even if they killed that character off (I think you said they did Fanny but that was after I stopped watching), theres still one more Ali Larter out there for them to use!

Edited by Fanpuck33
Since we have someone just now watching season 1, put in spoiler tags

Oh man, that shit really pissed me off. I thought the series would take a turn for the better by losing Ali Larter's lame acting but then she appears again to find out she's a triplet. So even if they killed that character off (I think you said they did Fanny but that was after I stopped watching), theres still one more Ali Larter out there for them to use!

Turns out she didn't even die that time. She apparently found out that she can turn her entire body into water a move around. Thus when all of her ice shards melted, she came back together alive.

Turns out she didn't even die that time. She apparently found out that she can turn her entire body into water a move around. Thus when all of her ice shards melted, she came back together alive.

Thassalottablack

And wow. CLICHE. I gave up after season 2. Too much clutter. Like the X-Men, actually. Just all over the place and no real cohesive story.

Good thing I stopped watching then. :P

Wow. I'm blown away by the season finale of Dexter... still shaking.

Now, maybe because I'm an idiot, I'm unclear about

Rita's death. Clearly it looks like she was killed by Arthur, but when did he have time to slip away from Dexter (who was presumably following his mustang around) to go to the house and kill her? It just seems like a very short window of opportunity. But it was him, right? Not a copycat killer?

I'm gonna miss Rita. I loved her as Darla on Buffy & Angel, and now Dexter's gonna raise 3 kids on his own?

Glee on hiatus till April. Apparently they don't want to play it while American Idol is on? Too much music?

Seems to be a trend for shows to take a long hiatus. I know Fringe is taking a 6 week one at some point, both Flash Forward and V won't be back till March.

My hair stood on end during that final scene. One of the best seasons of television I've ever seen.

Wow. I'm blown away by the season finale of Dexter... still shaking.

Now, maybe because I'm an idiot, I'm unclear about

Rita's death. Clearly it looks like she was killed by Arthur, but when did he have time to slip away from Dexter (who was presumably following his mustang around) to go to the house and kill her? It just seems like a very short window of opportunity. But it was him, right? Not a copycat killer?

I'm gonna miss Rita. I loved her as Darla on Buffy & Angel, and now Dexter's gonna raise 3 kids on his own?

I think that it had to be Trinity, but I also hope they explain how he pulled it off. He must have found Dexter's address at Deb's apartment and then plotted from there. Did he know about Dexter's past though? Having Harrison sitting in the pool of blood made it seem like he knew what had happened to Dexter as a kid.

A bunch of other questions too. Will people suspect Dexter killed Rita? Will Trinity's family tell the police about "Kyle".

I was kindve hoping Trinity would survive into next season. Lithgow was incredible and deserves some Emmy recognition.

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent start to the new season of Chuck. Doing a pretty good job so far of not losing the spirit of the show despite his new powers. I'm sick of the will-they-won't-they dynamic, that kind of thing has been done to death, but it's something I've come to live with on lots of shows. It was awesome seeing Captain Awesome in an expanded role, he had been an underused character to that point. You could definitely see the budget cutbacks, though. Last night's ep, I believe, is the first one to not have any of the characters from the Buy More in it. Seemed to work out pretty well, given the added screen time for Awesome and Ellie. I knew Anna would probably be gone, as she had already gone MIA during stretches in the past. Still sucks, I always liked her.

The ratings have to be seen as good news for the prospects of Chuck lasting beyond this season. All three episodes got over 7.2 million viewers. That is more than a million more viewers than any episode of Heroes has gotten all season. Speculation is that Heroes is still a possibility to return next season, so that has to be a good sign for Chuck. I would guess that booting Jay Leno from the 10 PM hour is good for shows on the verge of cancellation, as it would be tough to add 5 hours of programming + a bunch of replacement programming.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Yeah, I'm so happy NBC was quick to do something about that Leno show. I managed to hype up a few people I knew for Chuck this season and they all thought it was very good.

Isn't Awesome

dead though? Or just kidnapped? OR are we not supposed to know yet?

I was liking The Jay Leno Show. :( I'm always too tired to watch those shows at 11:30. It was perfect right after Habs games.

I was liking The Jay Leno Show. :( I'm always too tired to watch those shows at 11:30. It was perfect right after Habs games.

I don't understand this outcry for Conan. He pushed Leno out when Leno was not ready to give up his spot and he hasn't performed well in the ratings since taking over. To me, the only mistake NBC made was promising him the job in the first place.

I don't understand this outcry for Conan. He pushed Leno out when Leno was not ready to give up his spot and he hasn't performed well in the ratings since taking over. To me, the only mistake NBC made was promising him the job in the first place.

At the time, it was a great idea. They were going to lose Conan unless they ensured he'd get The Tonight Show and Jay Leno told them he'd be ready to retire in 2009. There was a big fuss when Letterman got passed over in favor of Leno when Johnny Carson gave up The Tonight Show and Jay wanted to avoid that sort of mess. Thus, the three parties came to an agreement. NBC can be blamed for promising Conan the job and Leno can be blamed for reneging on his retirement, while Conan has only followed the deal. He has every right to leave over this, he's the one getting the short end of the stick.

All that being said, I'll be thrilled to have Leno back on at 11:30. There's too much else on at 10 and I always love seeing Letterman lose in the ratings, which isn't happening with Conan.