Players Speak Through Poll on Hockey News

Habitforming

Check it out...they don't all hate Montreal, they just changed their mind from March to now lol.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news/news.asp?idNews=24100

Really, really interesting...this should put paid to the idea that 'players don't want to come here.' We're tied for 6th most desirable location! :hlogo: We also score well on quality of ice and - this surprised me - we're 3rd in 'toughest building to play in on the road.' Nice sign of respect, that.

Perhaps, instead of rending our garments and lamenting the unattractiveness of Montreal as a destination for NHL players, we should put more emphasis on the fact that we were runners-up for three major UFAs this season (Briere, Smyth, and Souray)? (And Shanahan and Arnott last year).

I was surprised to see Saks named by three players as 'most overrated' in the NHL, however.

Other nice tidbits - the players rank money third on their list of favourite aspects of their job (way behind 'adrenalaine rush, sold-out buildings, living the dream' and 'friends and teammates;') while 'being on the road missing family' is far and away the worst aspect for almost half of them.

Bottom line: players come out of this thing much more attractively than cynical fans might expect. And so does Montreal, as a hockey city.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Really, really interesting...this should put paid to the idea that 'players don't want to come here.' We're tied for 6th most desirable location! :hlogo: We also score well on quality of ice and - this surprised me - we're 3rd in 'toughest building to play in on the road.' Nice sign of respect, that.

Perhaps, instead of rending our garments and lamenting the unattractiveness of Montreal as a destination for NHL players, we should put more emphasis on the fact that we were runners-up for three major UFAs this season (Briere, Smyth, and Souray)? (And Shanahan and Arnott last year).

I was surprised to see Saks named by three players as 'most overrated' in the NHL, however.

Other nice tidbits - the players rank money third on their list of favourite aspects of their job (way behind 'adrenalaine rush, sold-out buildings, living the dream' and 'friends and teammates;') while 'being on the road missing family' is far and away the worst aspect for almost half of them.

Bottom line: players come out of this thing much more attractively than cynical fans might expect. And so does Montreal, as a hockey city.

I was surprised not to see Saku in the most respected list to tell you the truth.

With the community work, sportsmanship and beating cancer, I was quite surprised.

Then again it is only 283 out of 748 registered members of the NHLPA.

Most Overrated: (By their fellow players I might add)

2) Bryan McCabe and Brad Richards

3) Pavel Kubina

HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahha... LEAFS PLAYERS ARE TOP 5 AT SOMETHING...... And Leaf media still says this DEfence is top 5 in the league, they were right Top5 useless.

Did I say : hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahha...

Oops I did. :rolleyes:

What’s the worst thing about your job?

1) Travel/flying/sked/missing family (104) 42.6%

2) Injuries (33) 13.5%

3) Nothing (25) 10.2%

4) Losing/slump (17) 6.9%

5) Media/questions/etc. (12) 4.9%

6) Uncertain future/Job security (9) 3.6%

7) Trades (8) 3.2%

8) Pressure (7) 2.8%

9) Practice (5) 2%

10) Politics/Business side (3) 1.2%

11) Working out (3) 1.2%

12) Backchecking (2) 0.81%

13) Back-to-back games (2) 0.81%

14) Protein shakes, watching video, late nights, filling out forms, fighting, autographs, missed childhood, girls, money, Cam Janssen, getting yelled at, pre-game skate, coaches and being booed (1) 0.4%

I wonder who picked Cam Janssen as the worst thing about their job :lol:

2) Injuries (33) 13.5%

3) Nothing (25) 10.2%

7) Trades (8) 3.2%

8) Pressure (7) 2.8%

9) Practice (5) 2%

11) Working out (3) 1.2%

14) Protein shakes, watching video, late nights, filling out forms, fighting, autographs, missed childhood, girls, money, Cam Janssen, getting yelled at, pre-game skate, coaches and being booed (1) 0.4%

Brisebois?

2) Injuries (33) 13.5%

3) Nothing (25) 10.2%

7) Trades (8) 3.2%

8) Pressure (7) 2.8%

9) Practice (5) 2%

11) Working out (3) 1.2%

I think Ribeiro voted more than once :lol:

Polls are interesting in themselves but whats more fun will be the leagues reaction to it. Will changes be in the cards based on these results? The competition committee is surely going to consider this when making their next big move on changes to the game.

Should anyone consider the results seriously? Or just carry on regardless...?

Interesting to see that Crosby was voted in the most hated (7th), respected (6th) and best player(1st) category. He even made most overrated (10th).

Edited by Chips