Jordan And Eric Staal Arrested

jetsniper

also a 21 yo drinking age is quite... ridiculous

Wow had to check that, the drinking age is 21 in Minnesota :lol:

So 18-21 you can join the army but can't have a beer? Umm, wtf???

What's the big deal about having to be 21 to drink? Would you rather they go back to prohibition? All lowering the legal drinking age would do would be to increase college drinking to even higher levels than it is now. If the legal drinking age was lowered, even a higher percentage of college students are gonna binge drink, which is only going to lead to more drunk driving, sexual assualts, etc. Most older high school and young college students in the US aren't mature or smart enough to drink responsibly. Lowering the age would just make it easier and more likely that freshmen and sophomores are gonna do something stupid.

And don't try to give me the argument that a lower drinking age encourages more responsible drinking - I don't buy it. Most college students drink before 21 and do it irresponsibly. Lowering the age isn't going to help them learn how to drink responsibly, it's just gonna make it easier for them to get their hands on alcohol. Other countries can probably get away with lower drinking ages, the US can't. I mean, they used to have near-beer (like 3% alcohol) for 18-21 year olds and it was a bad idea and people abused it, so they got rid of it.

What's the big deal about having to be 21 to drink? Would you rather they go back to prohibition? All lowering the legal drinking age would do would be to increase college drinking to even higher levels than it is now. If the legal drinking age was lowered, even a higher percentage of college students are gonna binge drink, which is only going to lead to more drunk driving, sexual assualts, etc. Most older high school and young college students in the US aren't mature or smart enough to drink responsibly. Lowering the age would just make it easier and more likely that freshmen and sophomores are gonna do something stupid.

And don't try to give me the argument that a lower drinking age encourages more responsible drinking - I don't buy it. Most college students drink before 21 and do it irresponsibly. Lowering the age isn't going to help them learn how to drink responsibly, it's just gonna make it easier for them to get their hands on alcohol. Other countries can probably get away with lower drinking ages, the US can't. I mean, they used to have near-beer (like 3% alcohol) for 18-21 year olds and it was a bad idea and people abused it, so they got rid of it.

Holy jesus, calm down.

It only gets questioned all the time because it's 18 in Canada and we've never had problems with it. Don't see why the US wouldn't either, it's not like theres a large gap between an American and a Canadian.

The drinking age in the states was 18 back in the 80s. I don't think there's been a significant change in the drinking habits of teens since the age limit was raised to 21. The national minimum was put in place in the mid-80s, and basically forced all states to change their minimum age or face the threat of reduced highway funding. The interesting loophole (since closed by most states) was that it was illegal to purchase, and prohibits public possession, but not illegal to actual consume if you were under 21. In NY, we'd legally drive across the border, buy our beer, and drive back home. (And yes, we declared it at customs. 2 cases per person are free of duty!)

Anyway, that's why there's the disparity between smoking/voting/military and the drinking age.

I think that by lowering the age at 18, people will stop to drink irresponsibly around 21 years old. 18-21 is the time in life to have fun, and yes, being drunk at your old brother bachelor party is fun :lol: !!! I mean, if drinking was legal at 16, people would drink more responsibly at 18 or so... Always much fun when it's illegal no???

I think that by lowering the age at 18, people will stop to drink irresponsibly around 21 years old. 18-21 is the time in life to have fun, and yes, being drunk at your old brother bachelor party is fun :lol: !!! I mean, if drinking was legal at 16, people would drink more responsibly at 18 or so... Always much fun when it's illegal no???

I wouldn't know, I didn't drink till I was 21. A few drinks wasn't worth a black mark on my record, especially going into education. I don't get the idea that starting younger makes you more responsible later, the person is still drinking irresponsibly for a period of time. Plus, an 18 year old is more likely to drink irresponsibly than a 21 year old is. A 21 year old is closer to their goals, thinks more about achieving those goals, thinks about what they have to risk. I mean, my close group of friends didn't drink until we were 21 and I think we drank muuch more responsibly than we would have as freshmen. And we had just as much fun before drinking as when we started.

It only gets questioned all the time because it's 18 in Canada and we've never had problems with it. Don't see why the US wouldn't either, it's not like theres a large gap between an American and a Canadian.

I think that the average adolescent in the US is more self-centered than most other countries, just a personal opinion. I'm around that age of people all the time. For example, I think the average Canadian late-teen is much more aware of word current events than the average American of the same age.

The canadians I know where tired of drinking by 21.

By having it at 21, means that it would still be illegal of course from 18-21.

We all know that if its 'illegal' then its cool to do.

Know anybody who still has huge parties at 22, 23, 24? Thought so.

I win.

I win.

jeez, that's arrogant

The canadians I know where tired of drinking by 21.

come out to the bars in montreal some time.

you should check out some of the law school parties.

I win.

Ironic then, because "I win" is a loser thing to say. ;)

Actually 16 used to be the de facto drinking age in Montreal, is it stricter now?

Anyway, some people drink and have a bit of fun and some drink and become assholes, it doesn't really matter if they're 16 or 60. Another thing I've noticed, it doesn't seem to make a difference if they are hockey players, garbage men or attorneys, one drunk asshole is pretty well the same as another drunk asshole.

What's the big deal about having to be 21 to drink? Would you rather they go back to prohibition?

:?-

That's because they're just 'legal' so they do crazy crap that lasts until they're 25. By the time the rest of the world is 25. They've moved on. And you wonder why americans take forever to mature.

your suppose to finish college at 21/22 (normally).

In Canada and the rest of the world, life its you square in the head and you grow up. Oops America? Time to get drunk.

Went to Mizzou for a weekend and everyone went to class drunk and were on the 6 year plan.

nobody wants to go to a law school party where you get drunk arguing over supreme court cases. I mean seriously. ;)

Yes.

Your suppose to finish college at 21/22 (normally).

And most people do, even the heavy drinkers. Throw in 23 year olds into that group, since most engineering students co-op for a couple semesters.

Yes.

And most people do, even the heavy drinkers. Throw in 23 year olds into that group, since most engineering students co-op for a couple semesters.

lol

no they don't or the kids you thought were 'drinkers' weren't really that crazy.

If you want it at 21, then make killing people for a flag start at 21, voting, driving, etc.

It's very stupid. That you can take bullets for bush but can't drink after you've seen somebody blow themselves up.

:wacko:

The three year prohibition between 18 to 21 doesn't work. Never has, never will. It creates more drinkers because the mind of a teenager says "oh its illegal, lets do it."

no they don't or the kids you thought were 'drinkers' weren't really that crazy.

Right, so the guy I knew who blew a .38 wasn't that big of a drinker. I guess $2,000 worth of alcohol for one party wasn't for big drinkers. I guess the guy who thought his closet was a bathroom wasn't trashed. All examples of people who graduated within 5 years, the extra year due to 2-3 semesters of co-oping.

Are there people on the 6 year plan, of course. But don't try to tell people that it's the norm - it's not.