Lowe Gives Offer Sheet to Penner....

kenadian

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=214708&hubname=nhl

Offer is 5 yrs 21.5 Million

If my math is correct it would cost the Oil a 1st and 3rd round pick..

Someone on HF said a 1st, 2nd and 3rd but who knows, you may be right.

Lowe is nuts though. A GM HAS to match.... you just can't let other teams poach your young guys but in a situation like this, Burke might happily take the picks as Edmonton might be picking early this year.

I guess we'll see. I'll trust Burke to make the right decision.

But at least he's won a cup...now he can just worry about the $$. :) Some of the "stars" of the league (those who seem to go to whoever offers the most cash), are now trying to get a cup before their playing days are over. So for Penner maybe he would go, since he's still young (and HAS won a cup). I don't know what he's currently making but would be a big raise......

I don't think Burke will match ... I don't think he would want to tie that kind of money in Penner when they just signed burtuzzi ... if Niedermeyer comes back they won't have any room if they take that Penner contract. Same with Selanne. I can see Burke taking those pics and packaging them for a cheaper replacement for Penner.

I like that Lowe is being so aggressive in trying to get the players he feels Edmonton needs. Nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by sbhatt

We should create a thread that says:

Lowe recent offer sheet.. or

Lowe gives offer sheet to Add RFA HERE

MAn Burke must be laughing it up.... he's gotta respect Lowe tho had Burke been in Lowe's shoes he would have had thrown 10 offer sheets by now!

this offer sheets makes more sense, when he tried to sign vanek, he knew buffalo would match. I don't think the ducks have the cap space to sign penner unless neidermayer retires.

Lowe is not trying to put the league on it's knee, he is trying to bring some scoring and some size

to the Oilers. He has cap space and some money left to spend. It's the return of the beating they had

since the 1991.

If the Rags, Philadephia, Detroit, Colorado, Anaheim, Toronto, Dallas are in a situation that they have a RFA

that they don't pay to his worth because they signed some big names to long term, canadian teams

now have a chance to ink some hot prospects in the middle of their career, wich is more interesting than

an established player that the production will go down.

Especially Philadephia, i would love Montreal to make an offer to Jeff Carter when he will reach RFA status.

Or Colorado Paul Stastny. Lamoriello shouldn't be given some slack with a very good player like Parise as

Jetsniper mentionned.

It opens a breach where you sign the real value of a player. Why would Zubrus get more money than Parise

who is more much valuable to a team.

Of course it could bite us back but management as always the right to match an offer.

Gainey should have simply traded Ryder to the Oil for a 1st and a 2nd and then started playing the offer sheet game with Parise. Even if Parise cost this team some picks it would've been off-set by the Ryder deal...and the Habs have enough depth on the farm to not worry about 1-2 less picks.

The Oil would get a similar player and give up less picks so I don't see why they wouldn't consider it...and NJ can't match much in the way of contracts if I remember correctly...

With Rafalski and Gomez gone, NJ has all the space they need to sign their young impact players.

That Ryder trade/Parise RFA offer idea would backfire on Bob. Not to mention, Bob is the last guy who should be making RFA offers *looks at prospect pool*

And if Burke was the one who sent out an offer it would be just "business"....and since it's allowed by the CBA he would say he's done nothing wrong. He's "furious" with having to have his hand forced....either paying out more $$ or losing him... (I'd take the 3 picks!) since it looks like the Oil are in for another tough year

With Rafalski and Gomez gone, NJ has all the space they need to sign their young impact players.

That Ryder trade/Parise RFA offer idea would backfire on Bob. Not to mention, Bob is the last guy who should be making RFA offers *looks at prospect pool*

The Habs prospect pool is exactly what affords them to do this...I'm not suggesting they do this now but that it would have been an interesting move earlier in the off-season when there were more RFA's on the table, many of whom were better then Ryder. The move would have meant acquiring a younger, better player but likely would have cost the team less then a couple of draft picks...plus you'd have that young player through their prime.

It would have been an intriguing risk that they could've afforded to take.

All these GM's are worried about how this makes them look but it's ridiculous...if you can afford to make those offer sheets, force other teams payrolls up and thus make other FA's more readily available, plus have the chance to acquire a quality young guy at a reasonable price vs. some of the over priced vets then why wouldn't more teams do it? The reason is simply NHL politics and the fear of being black-balled by other GM's who collude against you because they're all whiney beyatches.

I'm sure you'd change your point of view within seconds if someone has given a 4+M$ per season offer sheet to Chris Higgins (mind you, he'd have to accept it first).

Bob doesn't need to make offer sheets to other RFAs, he'd be pissing off everyone. Just look at what Regier said with the whole Vanek situation. Edmonton is a young team and expect Buffalo to take a stab at some of their younger talents in the near future.

For Gainey to do this would be practically destroying all those years of hard work in drafting. All this for what? A power-forward like Dustin Penner? Or a young NHLer who can't be labeled a franchise player? Sure, it might be worth it for a young franchise player like Crosby or Ovechkin since those players are a rare surefire investment but even there it's still a little crazy. For any other player, the GM would be shooting himself in the foot.

I don't think it will happen, but if Ovechkin ever reach the RFA status next year, then WATCH OUT. Personnaly, I would like to see Gainey offer a 6 years 48 millions deal or so to Ovechkin... No matter the picks we'd lost.

I don't think it will happen, but if Ovechkin ever reach the RFA status next year, then WATCH OUT. Personnaly, I would like to see Gainey offer a 6 years 48 millions deal or so to Ovechkin... No matter the picks we'd lost.

Done and done. I would also love this.

I see your 48 million and raise you. 20%

I don't think Burke will match - it really isn't going to bode well for when he has to re-sign Perry and Getzlaf if he's forced to tie up so much money in Penner.

Burke is already salivating over the 1st round pick as he thinks Edmonton will tank this year. Plus he gets a second and third.

I'd definitely take the picks and walk away from Penner.

Aside the fact that I don't think he'll be much of an impact in Edmonton, I'd take hand down some potentially early draft picks in what's supposed to be a very good draft next season.

Either way, knowing how Burke likes to run his team, he already has or is working on some plan to replace Penner if the Ducks walk away.