Ryder signs

Hab4life

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, if Ryder is mediocre what do you think about the rest of roster? Atleats Ryder shows up when it counts. Very few others can say that.

One game and his reputation is forever changed into a big game player? Anyone remember his two playoff performances at all? Other than that OT goal vs Carolina... invisible/ineffective.

Now, he's young enough that I don't think he's really established a reputation in big games. I'm just saying, until this last game vs Toronto, I don't think anyone would've called him a big game guy.

Ryder can be a difference maker if he tries. I'm just curious to see how he plains when he's healthy. Pretty impressive how he played last season on a bad neck/back or whatever it was.

Ryder is our best trade bait and is the perfect guy to upgrade. What else is their to say? He's good but not good enough to be our go-to scorer.

huh? what the hell did YOUR reasoning have to do with that statement?

Nothing whatsoever, I was replying to the thread in general, hence the doublespace.

I think that part of the problem also comes from the way the game is played now. Everybody plays tight, so every line has to play both ends of the ice. You go back to the Oilers of the 80s, and three of their key players had pretty big weaknesses in their games. Gretzky couldn't skate, Coffey was a fair to middling player in the defensive end and Fuhr was a mediocre goalie. The running joke on Lemieux was he'd only skate in his own zone during warm-ups and had to be introduced to his goalies at the end-of-season team dinner. You lived with the weaknesses if the assets outweighed them.

Now, everybody wants the perfect player: 6' 2", 200+ lbs, hits like a truck, skates like wind, can lead a rush up ice, be first back in his own zone, blocks shots, drives the team bus, flies the charter, makes a killer pasta primavera for the pre-game meal, books the hotels, sells popcorn at intermission, leaps tall buildings in a single bound, yadda yadda yadda. Guess what. HE DOESN'T EXIST!!! So stop looking. Look at a player's bio, and count how many you see listed at 5' 11½", because we all know that 5' 11" is too small to play in the NHL.

We all know that realistically Ryder isn't a first line player, and that except for maybe one or two, no other team would use him on their first line on a regular basis. Top power play unit, absolutely. But he got thrown into the fire and worked his ass off to get the job done, with varying results. He did improve his skating, he killed penalties late in the season, his teammates like him, and he SCORES GOALS. For the past two years, he's led the team in goals. Until someone else steps up, he is what he is, warts and all.

Good luck trading "your" trash for someone else's treasure though. It always makes me laugh how some people will go out of their way to cite a hated player's glaring weaknesses, then immediately package them off with a couple of other duds or maybes for another team's better players. Go back to the video game where that deal gets made.

I think that part of the problem also comes from the way the game is played now. Everybody plays tight, so every line has to play both ends of the ice. You go back to the Oilers of the 80s, and three of their key players had pretty big weaknesses in their games. Gretzky couldn't skate, Coffey was a fair to middling player in the defensive end and Fuhr was a mediocre goalie. The running joke on Lemieux was he'd only skate in his own zone during warm-ups and had to be introduced to his goalies at the end-of-season team dinner. You lived with the weaknesses if the assets outweighed them.

Now, everybody wants the perfect player: 6' 2", 200+ lbs, hits like a truck, skates like wind, can lead a rush up ice, be first back in his own zone, blocks shots, drives the team bus, flies the charter, makes a killer pasta primavera for the pre-game meal, books the hotels, sells popcorn at intermission, leaps tall buildings in a single bound, yadda yadda yadda. Guess what. HE DOESN'T EXIST!!! So stop looking. Look at a player's bio, and count how many you see listed at 5' 11½", because we all know that 5' 11" is too small to play in the NHL.

We all know that realistically Ryder isn't a first line player, and that except for maybe one or two, no other team would use him on their first line on a regular basis. Top power play unit, absolutely. But he got thrown into the fire and worked his ass off to get the job done, with varying results. He did improve his skating, he killed penalties late in the season, his teammates like him, and he SCORES GOALS. For the past two years, he's led the team in goals. Until someone else steps up, he is what he is, warts and all.

Good luck trading "your" trash for someone else's treasure though. It always makes me laugh how some people will go out of their way to cite a hated player's glaring weaknesses, then immediately package them off with a couple of other duds or maybes for another team's better players. Go back to the video game where that deal gets made.

Nicely put!

Ryder is to become UFa at the end of the season. I don't think he ever wanted a long term contract with montreal.

should montreal have a bad season, which is more likely to, a player like ryder will become a great bait for a fisrt rounder.

my guess for the $$$, he got 3.5M...I'm sure we'll know by the end of the day how much he'll make.

oh believe me ryder loves playing for the canadiens and would be dissapointed if he got traded. i live a few hours from ryders hometown and he thinks alot of playing for the habs.

Meh, he's one of those players that I'm not too involved with emotionally... we have other players that would get 30 goals with a full season on Koivu's wing. Ryder is a lucky boy to have had the opportunity. Look what happened to Brian Savage once he moved to a new team and ended up on the third line...

he scored 25 in 03-04 playing with ribeiro, no doubt playing with saku the past 2 seasons helped him get 30 but he is a natural goal scorer and will score anywhere

oh believe me ryder loves playing for the canadiens and would be dissapointed if he got traded. i live a few hours from ryders hometown and he thinks alot of playing for the habs.

I had heard he grew up worshipping the leafs... I hope that has changed.