Gillett : "Briere was 20 minutes away from signing with Montreal"

Tony

We don't need Briere. What we need is a team that plays better defence. Both front and back.

Smolinski vs. Samsonov.

Hamrlik vs. Souray. We lose 8 scoring points, but gain about 60 plus/minus. And save salary as well.

Agreed... One day a Briere type would be a great asset to the Habs, but right now the team is small enough down the middle. I know Saku plays like a big man, however his weight just does not allow him to punish people. :rolleyes::hockey:

He may be small but he is only second to Sid the kid in Jersey's sold in North America. Did you guys know that Hockeybuzz.com had 18 million hits in July?

WOW

I'm surprised that Briere is that high.

Maybe I don't give him enough credit, but I don't feel that he is a superstar at this point.

Maybe I don't give him enough credit, but I don't feel that he is a superstar at this point.

That's what the media and many of the fans overlooked in this year's UFA frenzy. None of the top players were superstars - most of them weren't even proven, long-running all-stars, for pete's sake. When players like Drury and Smyth - basically 65-point men - and Gomez (one season with more than 15 goals) are being heralded as these incredible coups for the teams paying them collosal long-term salaries, something's askew. This summer's UFA was really about the frenzy of competition - 'our team got an asset your team wanted, haaaaa!' - than about rational analysis of the quality of players available. This is one reason why I'm not that moved by all the criticism of Gainey's failure to bag one of these guys. (I'm not saying Gomez or Drury or Briere wouldn't have helped...but let's keep things in perspective here. It's not like we missed a chance to bag Crosby or Lecavalier).

Just as a question like that would you guys grant the maximum salary on a longterm deal offer to Ovechkin whenever he becomes UFA

We are few years away IF Washington doesnt sign him before that but hey...I would do it in a hurry.

God that guy in Montreal would be definitely a rock star and he'll be able to play with his buddy and training partner Mr Markov!

Anyway to go back to Briere i agree with other posters, he is a damn good player but he isnt en establish superstar. I just imagine how much a establish superstar would ask....10 million a season ? 10 years contract?

Partisan

Just as a question like that would you guys grant the maximum salary on a longterm deal offer to Ovechkin whenever he becomes UFA

We are few years away IF Washington doesnt sign him before that but hey...I would do it in a hurry.

God that guy in Montreal would be definitely a rock star and he'll be able to play with his buddy and training partner Mr Markov!

Anyway to go back to Briere i agree with other posters, he is a damn good player but he isnt en establish superstar. I just imagine how much a establish superstar would ask....10 million a season ? 10 years contract?

Partisan

He would definitely be one of my top choices to get that money but it would probably just force us to let go of a lot of players. When Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Latendresse, etc need big raises we won't have the money for them, or for other UFA. We'd have a team of Markov and Ovechkin and then the cheapest players we can get our hands on.

Just remember, the Sabres introduced new jerseys last year, so that's why a a few of the Sabres players had so many jerseys sold (afinogenov and miller were up there too). Add to that the fact that Briere is was a longtime Sabre and co-captain, it's not surprising that he sold so many.

He would definitely be one of my top choices to get that money but it would probably just force us to let go of a lot of players. When Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Latendresse, etc need big raises we won't have the money for them, or for other UFA. We'd have a team of Markov and Ovechkin and then the cheapest players we can get our hands on.

Sort of like what Buffalo is going through with their new expensive superstar they kept from the oil. :rolleyes:

What are the other young guys going to sign for if they put up bigger numbers?

Sort of like what Buffalo is going through with their new expensive superstar they kept from the oil. :rolleyes:

What are the other young guys going to sign for if they put up bigger numbers?

It all depends on the numbers, of course. I think Higgins will be a 4-5 million dollar player by his next contract. Komisarek may be 3-4M, Plekanec in the same ranger and Kostitsyn and Latendresse about what Higgins is making now. Keep in mind that salaries are driven up each UFA season.

It means he is a smurf and needed to grow about 5' :lol:

I'm 6'2" and 187 pounds. Not bad for a goaltender, eh? ;)

what does that mean?

Don't believe everything you read on the net, cher Pierre.

True, If I had stayed 5 more minutes in net during that scrimmage..

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle..

B) ;)

it is PR. why the heck would the owner come out of the blue talking about briere??

the fact of the matter is that he DIDN'T sign in montreal.

for those of you who don't read french, gillet goes along saying that the signing of a 3rd and a 7th D and a 3rd and 4th liners will make the team better than last year. of course it's PR again.

of course he cant come and say"by the way our team will suck but I still raised the ticket price"

the guy doesn't know shyte about hockey but he's saying all the right things he's been told to.

I'm starting to be real tired of getting fed bullshit. this year is do or die for canadiens brass

If they fail to make anything short of the conference final I'm calling for everyones head from the president down.

Here's the biggest bullshit you've been fed - the owner doesn't just come out of the blue and talk about Briere - a reporter asks him a question and he answers it. I can't understand why people read so much into the timing of answers, or even the responses. It isn't like Gillette called a major press conference to adress the Briere issue. No, this time the rporter in question chose to speak to Gillette intead of get the same answers from Gainey and /or Carbonneau. Not saying Gillette isn't towing the company line in his answer but don't crap all over the team because the owner answered the reporters question. Maybe instead, wonder why no other reporters chose to speak to him - or why this one waited so long to do so?