Habs jersey to unveiled in September

MK19

I don't think we need to worry. The basic Habs design hasn't been changed in about 70 years. And do you really think they'll change it in any fundamental way with the 100th anniversary of the organization just around the corner? Expect marginal tinkering only.

Despite its origins as a gross corporate cash-grab and Gary Buttman-ism, I like the Reebok look - it slims the players down so they look more like they did in the 70s and early 80s, before the equipment got out of control and turned them all into Optimus Prime lookalikes out there. So I'm cautiously optimistic the change will be innocous at worst and mildly positive at best.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we need to worry. The basic Habs design hasn't been changed in about 70 years. And do you really think they'll change it in any fundamental way with the 100th anniversary of the organization just around the corner? Expect marginal tinkering only.

Despite its origins as a gross corporate cash-grab and Gary Buttman-ism, I like the Reebok look - it slims the players down so they look more like they did in the 70s and early 80s, before the equipment got out of control and turned them all into Optimus Prime lookalikes out there. So I'm cautiously optimistic the change will be innocous at worst and mildly positive at best.

My problem hasn't been the slimmed down nature of the new unis, but a good number of the new designs themselves have been pretty bad. Also, I don't think they'll be as nice to wear for fans, but maybe I'm wrong on that one.

My problem hasn't been the slimmed down nature of the new unis, but a good number of the new designs themselves have been pretty bad. Also, I don't think they'll be as nice to wear for fans, but maybe I'm wrong on that one.

Some of the designs are indeed bad, but only a few NHL teams are really worth a damn anyway, in terms of tradition and dignity. All of these expansion teams seem to view their unis as disposable garbage, to be changed on a marketer's whim, so I don't see why anyone would invest much passion into them. It's like the Vancouver Canuckleheads - they've got a 'heritage' of unmitigated uniform disasters; what does it matter if the new one is as ugly as the hideous Orca logo? (And how can you take seriously a team that bases its jersey on the name of its parent company anyway? The Orca logo would be the equivalent of the Habs, back in the Molson days, having a beer bottle on their jerseys). How can uniforms like those of the Islanders, Sabres, Preds, Panthers, Lightning, etc., get any worse? And who cares anyway, since they'll be changed again the next time they think they can get away with a quick cash-grab?

Some of the designs are indeed bad, but only a few NHL teams are really worth a damn anyway, in terms of tradition and dignity. All of these expansion teams seem to view their unis as disposable garbage, to be changed on a marketer's whim, so I don't see why anyone would invest much passion into them. It's like the Vancouver Canuckleheads - they've got a 'heritage' of unmitigated uniform disasters; what does it matter if the new one is as ugly as the hideous Orca logo? (And how can you take seriously a team that bases its jersey on the name of its parent company anyway? The Orca logo would be the equivalent of the Habs, back in the Molson days, having a beer bottle on their jerseys). How can uniforms like those of the Islanders, Sabres, Preds, Panthers, Lightning, etc., get any worse? And who cares anyway, since they'll be changed again the next time they think they can get away with a quick cash-grab?

Well, the Sabres & Isles had decent unis originally, and while the Canucks' stick in rink logo is a bit campy and ridiculously simple, it does best represent the team (the C formed for Canucks in the rink, hockey symbols, and the Green & Blue representing the Pacific NW spell out Vancouver Canucks Hockey Club). As for the expansion teams, Ottawa had a nice logo & design before, but opted to go with an over-sized cartoon drawing rather than the classy logo/look of their original unis with a ridiculous amount of red. Rumor has it that the Flyers, meanwhile, are abandoning orange despite the fan's identification with the colour over the black look.

One thing I don't get for the expansion clubs is the oversized logo. The Preds' and Canes' logos take up a ridiculous amount of space and on their new unis they don't seemed to have downsized the logos at all, making it even more ridiculous. Even the winged wheel on Detroit should've been downsized (it used to be smaller) to allow captains to put their letter over their heart rather than on the opposite side. I know back in the '40s they did that but it still doesn't look right.

Hello everyone,

I was at Place Vertu in Ville St. Laurent, and right next door to Aldo there is a T-shirt/ sports shirt store and I saw a RBK Habs jersey.

I don't know if it is official since the girl working there was a little clueless, but if it is,

glad to say no major changes to the jersey, just 2 red stricks next to the CH.

But here is the bad news:

there is a RBK logo were the captains "c" is suppose to be.

If anyone is around there please go check it out and get back to me please,

thanks.

You beat me by 3 minutes, mathieu30! :D

This was pretty much what we expected. But has the visitor jersey logo always been so high up?

Has anyone else noticed the hefty price tag? Almost 500 for an authentic with stitched letters.

Really? Yesterday I checked and it was close to $200 as a pre-sale on NHL.com, but I don't know if that was a personalized one or not.

That was probably for the replica.

Yikes if true. It was on the top of the list of items... would they put a replica at the top?

Anyways, the NHL, RBK, and Mr. Gillette aren't getting any of my money from this. Looks like they're shooting for a $60m salary cap with those prices, combined with the ticket price increase.

Thank God. Thank God. Thank God, they didn't f*ck it up.

I even like the 'higher' CH on the white jersey, which brings to mind - I believe - older versions of the uniform.

I might be slightly surprised that they didn't consider making the former third jersey, the 'blue stripe' version of the white uniform, the official version. That was perhaps the sharpest jersey in all of hockey, and I doubt that too many people would rip their hair out over the loss of the no-stripe white one, as the red one is the truly sacred Uniform of Fable. Mais, c'est bien.

I might be slightly surprised that they didn't consider making the former third jersey, the 'blue stripe' version of the white uniform, the official version. That was perhaps the sharpest jersey in all of hockey, and I doubt that too many people would rip their hair out over the loss of the no-stripe white one, as the red one is the truly sacred Uniform of Fable. Mais, c'est bien.

I' a bit dissapointed aswell about not taking that third jersey. however, I think the white jersey still looks great.

Those are acceptable. No cartoon garbage.

I also hold to a vague hope that, with less fabric flopping around, a slight decrease in holding, etc., will follow, without refs having to blowing more air into their whistles than a bicycle pump.

Thank God. After some of the atrocities being committed in the name of the NHL's collective pocketbook, at least they had the sense not to screw this up.

500$ for a jersey? That, however, is nuts.

Thank the makers that they had some common sense! :clap: