Max Pacioretty

Bacchus

From what Timmins (biased of course) said about him at the 2007 USA Junior Training Camp, it looks like we have a very good prospect in Pacioretty.

Max Pacioretty (MON) was impressive at the camp. He used his body and played with a lot of energy before missing the last game due to a minor injury to the stomach. "He was one of the best players in the games I have seen," commented Timmins.

Looking forward to seeing how he does in the tournament, and Wondering how long he will stay in college? ...

Just to adda bit to what he said. he also said that Pacioretty was the 3rd best forward in the tournament only behing Kane and Okposo. he also said he feels he will be better than Latendresse. If that is the case, then the Habs have 2 great power forwards in the system. We may sees Pacs sooner rather than later.

I know that he was ranked all over the board (mid first round to second round)but he would have been the Red Wings first rounder if he was still available at the 27 spot. Since they have a good track record of getting really good guys in late rounds, I would trust their judgement on a first rounder as well.

Pac's rating at the time of the draft:

RANKINGS

TSN: 24

CSB: 16 N.A.

ISS: 33

RLR: 14

McK: 20

THN: 24

Just curious, where did you hear he would have been the Wings' first pick?

It might be a bit presumptuous saying he would have been their first pick because they poll many of their scouts when making a decision; but I was lucky enough to talk to a red wings scout at the end of the OHL season for most of a game and I asked who all he had scouted that season.

Naturally he talked about the college circuits as well and players he was high on. He said from the position they would be drafting (he figured the bottom 5 of the first round) that his choice (Pacioretty) could still be available.

That's kinda the reason I took him in the habs slot in the mock draft HW did this year.

Lucky break

If he is then why not? I don't see any harm them.

It insults Latendresse. Seems kind of tactless. Could you imagine if Carbonneau says one day "Higgins is doing amazing, he's a better player than Koivu"? It would be a big scandal.

How would this insult him? They both might be power forwards but it's hard to compare to player who might have the same style of play but play differently.

Just in comparison with speed. Pacioretty is already better than Latendresse. When it comes to throwing the body? Pacioretty uses it more effectively than Latendresse.

Latendresse is a power forward who's more effective offensively. Pacioretty is a power forward who's more effective defensively,

Just to adda bit to what he said. he also said that Pacioretty was the 3rd best forward in the tournament only behing Kane and Okposo. he also said he feels he will be better than Latendresse. If that is the case, then the Habs have 2 great power forwards in the system. We may sees Pacs sooner rather than later.

That's a bold statement from Timmins, Lats had a solid year for a 19 year old, hopefully he builds off that. Pacioretty I have a hard time thinking he could repeat the same success in the NHL as Lats did since he's about to turn 19 in the fall. But he must think really highly of Pacioretty since we are already seeing what Lats can do and Pacioretty has had a slow development prior to this past year, when he played in the same league as Higgins did when he was with Avalon but didn't really produce all that well. This past year he did put up impressive numbers in the USHL though, although the difference between the two is that Lats has been known to find the back of the net and that's been the knock on Pacoiretty, that he needs to work on his finishing skills.

I only saw Pacioretty once, at the USHL all star game and was impressed with his skating/speed for big guy but other then that he wasn't very noticeable. I can't wait to see him at Michigan, I know I'll get to see him early in the season as I get all the Minnesota games and Michigan faces Minnesota on opening weekend.

Just curious, do you personally attend these games or catch them on television (wonder which network shows them) ?

directv + webcasts + live games (I've seen Hamilton play in 5 or 6 different cities) plus I trade games with others since I'm in the states the tv coverage isn't great. I do get to see a ton of college (I get every Minnesota game or close to it) plus a lot of WCHA. I had to switch to comcast this past year after 5 years of directv which stinks cause directv shows a lot more hockey like U-18's, U-17's (only if USA is playing for a medal though), USHL, ECHL, and AHL. I also buy games from the RSL, I've got games from the FNL (Karpat to see Korpikari) and SEL (Mora only to see Hossa play during the lockout) I've got a ton of RSL games (many Korneev, Perezhogin, a couple Emelin/Grabovski, Markov, plus Buturlin/Tarasov/Kruchinin but no Valentenko in the rsl, only in the remax games. I got to see Emelin play against Markov in the RSL finals game 3, watching Markov's Dynamo win it all in a 2-1 game.

So I see a lot of NCAA games, I tape most of Fischers games, I've got Komisarek at Michigan, several Wyman games, some Paquet games, lots of O'Byrne/Gleed games all on vhs. I had a season pass to Cornell so I got to see all their home games on webcast so I've seen O'Byrne likely over 100 times over the years plus I interviewed him and his coaches. Clarkson has free webcasts of their home games and sometimes Dartmouth has free webcasts so I've seen them play several times in the past 2 years for Paquet and 3 years for Wyman.

The CHL is much harder to catch. I used to buy games from a guy in toronto for 5 bucks a game US. He would tape OHL games mostly and some other stuff. I've got a couple games of Crosby when he was a rookie with Rimouski. Right now I see several Q games since the Mooseheads and sea Dogs have free webcasts. The last two years I've just bought the webcasts from the WHL and OHL but I've cut down on my budget for spending on hockey so I haven't seen as many games. Lucky we only had Kostitsyn and Lacasse in the OHL this year and I didn't really feel the need to watch Lacasse play. Next year I do plan on catching more OHL games because next summers draft is going to be a huge, huge one for the OHL as they should have many guys picked.

I had a season pass to the Bulldogs webcast so I got almost all 80 regular season games for 160 bucks US plus 6 bucks a game for the playoffs (got costly) In the past I would travel to games anywhere from 2-10 hour drives (Hamilton is a good 10 hours from me) but now that B2 shows almost all the games it's a lot easier and cheaper way to see the games. I saw almost every Hamilton game this year and maybe half of their games the year before.

I don't watch a lot of ECHL games, I used to trade for games when we had a team in Long Beach as a Ducks fan from HF would tape them for me and trade for Cornell games. Now I just listen to some games on the radio if no other habs prospects are playing.

I've only seen 2 USHL games ever and both were good games. I got to see Paul Stastny play in the USHL (think I still have it on tape) and Pacioretty I saw in the All Star game, which I was busy watching several guys like Petrecki, Colby Cohen, Corey Tropp, Aaron Palushaj and Pacioretty.

In the last two years I've gotten to see several Minnesota USHS games. FSN started showing games (and they replay them as well as Minnesota games throughout the week) I got to see McDonagh and I know a scout that is good friends with Timmins, so he told me the Habs were interested in McDonagh. I really liked Nick Larson but the caps drafted him.

So every year I end up watching a crap load of hockey as I also have nhl center ice, although I'm not a big NHL fan as I usually just watch all the Habs games. In addition I have gotten contacts all over. I know the guys that run russianprospects.com, eliteprospects.com, scouts from McKeens and ISS, as well as fans of junior teams that I know I can trust their opinion, so they keep me up to date on how certain prospects are doing, as it's tough to keep track of 30+ prospects each year. I end up seeing some guys a ton and other guys I see very little. I've only seen Cepek once, Valentenko I've only seen at the remax games and wjc's. I've only see Lacasse a couple times back with Drakkar, I didnt see any Cincinnati games this year but got a lot of good reports from their fan site, very helpful people over there. I don't know when I'll get to see Torp other then some clips I've seen so far. I haven't seen Conboy/Kishel and I am pretty sure I saw Stejskal as I know I saw his team play but I don't recall him at all and I don't seem to have taped any of the games he'd played in (I sold a tape for 10 bucks without seeing that it had some HS games on it as my 2nd vcr broke) I know I'll get to see him at Dartmouth this year though, doubtful I'll see Kishel or Conboy until the go to the NCAA in 2 years.

Edited by montreal

That's amazing, talk about passion and dedication. I knew you were a hardcore prospects guy but I didn't know you went to that great lengths to catch all of the Montreal prospects in action.

I definitely shouldn't take for granted all the CHL games that are shown on television here (mainly via Sportsnet).

Still amazed on all the work you put in. I hope it pays off in a scouting job (or hockey related job) if it already hasn't.

That's amazing, talk about passion and dedication. I knew you were a hardcore prospects guy but I didn't know you went to that great lengths to catch all of the Montreal prospects in action.

I definitely shouldn't take for granted all the CHL games that are shown on television here (mainly via Sportsnet).

Still amazed on all the work you put in. I hope it pays off in a scouting job (or hockey related job) if it already hasn't.

I don't see it as work since it's just hockey. It's great fun watching these guys develop and progress over the years especially when they make the jump to the NHL. The problem is the cost which can get out of hand as I don't make any money off this, even my website doesn't have any ads on it although at some point I may get around to putting some ads to help pay for the site. At this point I just enjoy watching lots and lots of hockey every year. Plus it's been cool as I've gotten to see Crosby at 16, Ovechkin at 17, Malkin at 17 playing against Kostitsyn and Zherdev (they were on the 4th line together, Malkin's team crushed them badly)

I did cut back this past year as money got a little tight but I got a better job and should be able to see more games this year. What I do is first comes the Habs, so I watch them whenever they are on, then comes the Bulldogs, I'm a huge Dogs fan so I'd watch them over any hockey aside from the Habs. After that I watch whatever habs prospects I can, I see them all play at least once a year usually and then I rate them in order of importance, so guys like Lacasse, Cepek I don't go out of my way to see them but I try and see them at least once and always read up on how they are doing. Being a former writer for HF and being on so many different habs sites for the last 5+ years, I've gotten my name out there, so I get random bits of info all the time in my emails and pm's.

The second thing I focus on after the Habs/Dogs/prospects is the draft. I have a system where I try and follow guys for 2 years. So the '07's I started to read/watch them here and there last year and then this year I try and step it up and see more of them as the season goes on. If I've seen a lot of the habs prospects then I'll try and catch more random games that don't have habs prospects playing in it but have guys that I think we might be interested in drafting. This years draft I wasn't all that into to begin with as I felt it wasnt' a great draft plus I didn't want to spend too much money and this is where it gets costly cause I'm already spending well over 300 bucks in just center ice and hamilton season pass plus ncaa (costs me 5 bucks a month to get ncaa games from comcast, it was 12 with directv but they had more games sometimes 5 games on friday nights) So this year I tried watching guys for the '08 draft and this upcoming season I'll focus on the '08 guys but also try and see some '09 guys. I try not to get too caught up with this since the odds are we won't draft the guys I'm watching (although I had us drafting McDonagh and Fischer in my mock draft articles on my site so I got lucky there)

I have had some offers, I had a really good contact with ISS when they first started as the head scout is a Habs fan and we had several long conversations over the phone about habs prospects and different things about the draft. But I've lost contact with him in the last year. I've had some other offers to see if I would do some scouting but I didn't want to work for free. For now I will just keep watching as much hockey as I can. I've been doing this for years and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

It insults Latendresse. Seems kind of tactless. Could you imagine if Carbonneau says one day "Higgins is doing amazing, he's a better player than Koivu"? It would be a big scandal.

How would this insult him? They both might be power forwards but it's hard to compare to player who might have the same style of play but play differently.

Just in comparison with speed. Pacioretty is already better than Latendresse. When it comes to throwing the body? Pacioretty uses it more effectively than Latendresse.

Latendresse is a power forward who's more effective offensively. Pacioretty is a power forward who's more effective defensively,

Maybe Timmins just said : He'll be EVEN better than Latendresse...

It's definitely a neat thing to watch young hockey players develop over the years and hit the NHL. I can relate to that in some sense since I used to watch the QMJHL as a child (talking about over 10 years ago) and got to see guys like Theodore, Ryder and such play and hit the NHL.

I'm just thankful that there's so many resources on the Internet nowadays about hockey prospects. Information like that was hard to get a hold on before the Internet was around and relying on the local media for that kind of information wasn't always the best thing out there.

I remember reading the mock draft article with McDonagh in it and when you said that you talked to a hockey contact who knew Timmins, it was pretty neat to know who he was talking about when he said to the local media that he found that rare prospect. Of course, the local media thought it was Esposito.

Like I said before, I'm still amazed at the effort you put in. The upcoming hockey season isn't that far off and things should be interesting all-around. Hopefully, the costs won't be a problem.

@JoeLassiter- If Pacioretty is better than Latendresse as Timmins supposedly said, I know I won't complain :P

• 1 month later...
Sucks not knowing how to read French :(

It doesn't say anything new, just tha the had a bad season and was passed by later draft picks. Timmins (or I think it was Timmins, I can't remember) said that he grew a lot in a short period of time so it's natural that it takes him a while to get his coordination back to scratch.

Go to the same highschool pacioretty did (new canaan highschool), if i had played my freshman year of highschool i would have played with him...... Last year was in his sisters math class. My school has 3 guys who were drafted this year and we have like 4 others in the NHL and Ryan shannon is from our neighboring town.

Edited by Shu