toughness

NILAN/KORDIC

Anahiem won it all didn't they. They have 6 people who had more fights then the entire habs roster.

Detroit is the exception not the rule. I did say not always.

Anaheim didn't win because they fought. They had the best team, and Lilja coughed up that puck to Selanne in the WCF in OT that turned the series.

I'm not anti-goon, I just don't see a designated goon as a neccessity. But I do believe that as a team, we should get tougher.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anaheim didn't win because they fought. They had the best team, and Lilja coughed up that puck to Selanne in the WCF in OT that turned the series.

I'm not anti-goon, I just don't see a designated goon as a neccessity. But I do believe that as a team, we should get tougher.

agreed a 100%

Uh...I'll ask again. Is Hamrlik tough, in the sense of being gritty and hard-hitting? I haven't seen him enough to know.

He's not soft, but not tough. He won't back away, but he doesn't do a lot of initiating. He used to hit pretty decently, though.

He's a jack of all trades, master of none. Kind of describes his hitting/toughness as well. He'll do it, and it helps his game, but it's not a relative strength or weakness in his game. He pretty much is the definition of "well-rounded" defenseman.

being 6 foot isn't enough. Name me the last 6foot goon that was just that...a goon. Please don't reply with guys like Tootoo. I'm talking a straight up killer. I'm not saying play him every game. Play him when we either a) Play at home....give em a show or B) we paly a "tough team". BTW...the only real answer is Domi(for the smaller goon). We need to bring in a guy from the NAHL...they fight.

That is the beauty of being a "I have watched every playoff game possible" going back to the early 80's. It really gives one a perspective of what each and any player can offer. So, when we signed the Hammer I knew what we were getting. Yes, I suppose I am blowing my own bugle here but being a hockey nut to this degree has its advantages.

Case in point was how last weekend I was at the family cottage and a friend of the family was (Yes, a leef fan) sprouting on and on about how we have nothing and we will sink and Souray has left etc. He was trying to get us going. It failed when I mentioned Hamrlik. I asked him what was so terrible about Hamrlik and how he is a reliable D on D! He didn't really have an answer. So, I asked him which teams he had played for throughout his career and who drafted him - he couldn't say and really had NO CLUE about Hamrlik's style of play.

Athlétique.Canadien 1

dumb leef fan 0

...AND HE KNEW IT :lol:

Hammer isn't a fighter. Nor is Kostopolous- more of a presence. Some of you will say a presence....what's that mean? It means some guys will stick up for others while there are still some(un-freakin believable)that won't come to anothers defense. Team toughness is graded on the "presence"

ie: not necc. a fighter but willing and able. We pretty much have NO team toughness.

1st Unit

higgins plekanec kost

This line is not tough at all, but who really cares? Brière's line last year wasn't tough either... but who really cared?

Markov Komi

there is a wall on one side... guess which side it is.

---

2nd Unit

Kovalev Koivu Ryder

some toughness... nothing back breaking... but some toughness

Hamrlik

well this one is not "stronger" than Souray, but is more willing to display his REAL ON ICE toughness.. (not give a show for the fans.) he is IMO "tougher" than Souray.

3rd unit

Smolinski - Latendresse and one of TK, Begin, Lapierre or Chip...

DEFINITELY TOUGH, whoever is the 3rd one out there. I just wish it's someone who can skate faster than Lats and Smokes... Smokes is 100 times tougher than Bonk.

Bouillon

a drarwish bull...

then the rest :

4th line is composed of whoever remains from the ones I named for the 3rd line.

Streit, Brisebois and Dandy are all equally wusses on D... but O'Byrne and Valentenko are there to back us up if need be.

All in all, we still need toughness on our FIRST TWO UNITS.

we dont need a 'goon' we need tough gritty guys who will drop em when the situation arrives.

Komisarek,Boullion,Begin,Kostopolos, smolinski,lapierre.... we have some tough guys here

we dont need a 'goon' we need tough gritty guys who will drop em when the situation arrives.

Komisarek,Boullion,Begin,Kostopolos, smolinski,lapierre.... we have some tough guys here

I agree, but at the same time none of these guys are a real threat when it comes to a heavy weight. Komi just plain and simply is not a fighter nor do we want him to feel like he needs to be. Boullion can but doesn't really like it (fighting), Kosto got beat-up in every You Tube clip I saw, Begin is probably the toughest of the bunch but won't clean win too many scraps, Smolinski? Not really, Laps.....he can irritate but I haven't seen him fight yet, there is probably a reason for that. If he tries to mess with crosby this year he will have to answer to George.....might not end good, I hope I'm wrong.

So yes the team needs to be tough all the way around, but in order to get really tough all the way around we need that one guy who on most nights when necessary will destroy the other teams big gun. This year will be the worst of the past 3 years. The instigator rule has changed in favor of the fighter and guys like crosby are getting policemen. For the habs that spells trouble.

We need a beefcake to bring the toughness out of guys like Komi, Laps, Begin etc or we are going to get worked. The habs are not as tough as we all would like them to be. I hope Gainey and Carbs are not dismissing this.

This team should probably worry more about finding some decent defensmen and goal scorers than a goon. JUst because Anaheim had a few goons doesn't mean everybody needs to jump on that bandwagon. Solid goaltending and the best defense corp in the league won that cup....not a bunch of goons

I agree, but at the same time none of these guys are a real threat when it comes to a heavy weight. Komi just plain and simply is not a fighter nor do we want him to feel like he needs to be. Boullion can but doesn't really like it (fighting), Kosto got beat-up in every You Tube clip I saw, Begin is probably the toughest of the bunch but won't clean win too many scraps, Smolinski? Not really, Laps.....he can irritate but I haven't seen him fight yet, there is probably a reason for that. If he tries to mess with crosby this year he will have to answer to George.....might not end good, I hope I'm wrong.

So yes the team needs to be tough all the way around, but in order to get really tough all the way around we need that one guy who on most nights when necessary will destroy the other teams big gun. This year will be the worst of the past 3 years. The instigator rule has changed in favor of the fighter and guys like crosby are getting policemen. For the habs that spells trouble.

We need a beefcake to bring the toughness out of guys like Komi, Laps, Begin etc or we are going to get worked. The habs are not as tough as we all would like them to be. I hope Gainey and Carbs are not dismissing this.

hopefully we will be a team that sticks up for one another.... when a situation arrives knowone is backing away ya know. as for crosby and his little buddies we aint worried

The Habs need an enforcer who isn't a huge defensive liability, i'e a player like Brashear or Laraque, someone who can play hockey and can also keep the Barnabys and Averys of this world honest. This would also give more room on the ice for our talented players. Those who say we're OK with Komi and Kosto are just kidding themselves. Just look at the Sens. Would they be the same team without McGrattan and Neale?

The Habs do have a tougher team this year when it comes to hitting opponents and winning battles along the boards but if our guys have to drop the gloves, they'll be in trouble. When your pseudo-enforcer constantly takes beatings and often has to go to the clinic for stitches, it's not good for the morale of the team.

This summer, I would have liked BG to bring us a better 1st line center, a strong #1 to #4 dman (Hamrlik just replaces Souray. No gain there) and an enforcer who can hold his own against NHL heavyweights and he has done none of these things. I still believe we can make the playoffs, but it'll be that much harder.

Couldn't agree more with you Saint. Getting your ass kicked may be "admirable" if you're sticking up for another guy but if the other team puts out their goon and we do the same but our guy takes the beating of a lifetime, what does that do to the team. Nothing....deflates them actually. Watch the bench of the team that wins the fight compared to the guy who gets a beatdown.....BIG DIFFERENCE.

Couldn't agree more with you Saint. Getting your ass kicked may be "admirable" if you're sticking up for another guy but if the other team puts out their goon and we do the same but our guy takes the beating of a lifetime, what does that do to the team. Nothing....deflates them actually. Watch the bench of the team that wins the fight compared to the guy who gets a beatdown.....BIG DIFFERENCE.

It doesn't really seem like Gainey and Carbs are too worried about it considering there is only one goon type player at camp. That's fine, I would rather ice a team of hockey players. In the same breath though, as I've stated before it can't be ignored. I hope they have some sort of back-up plan to Bonneau. If Laps lays out Crosby in the face-off circle and Larouqe comes to the rescue who is going to help? Jimmy? I doubt it. Look for yourself.

Or maybe we should recruit one of these Bare Chested Lads. What a laugh!!!!

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

The Nazi's at work won't let me see videos but judging by the title it couldn't be good. Everyone loses....even Brashear( I even saw him lose in the NAHL) but if all we want is a guy willing to drop the gloves, pay any ###### to drop his gloves and lose.....big thrill there!

I think we need physical talented players at every position. Not sure if there is room on the bench for an enforcer on a regular or part-time basis...

Yes there is .The Habs need an enforcer, Archer stepped up and got pounded. With no enforcer the next time it will be someone more important. Hopefuly BG and Carbo will realize you need a tough guy around for teams with enforcers.

I for one am tired of watching the Habs getting pounded in every fight they are in.

Yes there is .The Habs need an enforcer, Archer stepped up and got pounded. With no enforcer the next time it will be someone more important. Hopefuly BG and Carbo will realize you need a tough guy around for teams with enforcers.

I for one am tired of watching the Habs getting pounded in every fight they are in.

I noticed that Laraque wouldn't dance with Komisarek. They gabbed a bit. I wonder if they agreed to take it up another time. Maybe during the season.

On one side I'm so happy how Komi acted in the whole Crosby thing yesterday. What's going to happen tonight? Is Larauqe going to come after him? Komi will stand up for himself,but George is huge and just might break his nose or orbital bone. We can not have that happen. That would screw with our entire season and Komi's head in his willingness to be aggressive kind of way down the road. We need someone to take those shots. Even if they are bench warmers until called upon. The NHL has changed, but this year it's changing again. We play the Pens too many times to let Crosby act the way he acts. If George starts putting our guys in the hospital Crosby will have his way. Not good.

Colton Orr anyone?